Oldhammer In The New World - Baltimore Games Day Oct 25-26th

Attilla13

Re: Oldhammer In The New World - Baltimore Games Day Oct 25-

@deathjester - I am not running a "intro" per se, though the warbands game could definitely qualify as far as the rules. However, there will be several "open" gaming tables and games ongoing. To be honest a lot of these affairs are going to be basically 3rd ed demos, because several of those attending have not played 3rd, they are just getting stuff ready. But there will also be people who have not played 3rd in what, 20 years? And people that have been back playing it for a year or so.

But I am very positive that we can get someone to get you sorted out! So please show up and we can accommodate! There is going to be open gaming on the Friday night, and we could also do a small intro game for you then if you can attend - that way you would be an old hat by the time the other stuff rolls around! :grin:

Thanks for the info. Ill probably head down for the day on saturday to check things out.

ardyer

Deathjester25":1kkugsp8 said:
Thanks for the info. Ill probably head down for the day on saturday to check things out.

I'll be there with a small dark elf force if you want to get a practice game. It's been so long since I've actually played 3rd that I'm pretty much in the same boat as you!

@ardyer I should have a small orc army finished up by then. Probably won't meet minimum requirements in warhammer armies though. I haven't really started working on goblins yet

Fred9802

Hello all...I am getting very excited about this, but am not sure if I can stay for both Saturday and Sunday. (Running low on vacation days, so I may use Sunday as a travel day.) Not sure if it's too early for this, but is there a loose schedule/agenda of Saturday's events.

I am working on a Chaos Warband, but would also like to prep for a RT skirmish. (Is there a guide for creating gangs like JB's framework for Chaos Warbands? Also, what would be a good point level for a 3rd ed force to get in a demo game?)

Rambling now...excitement building. :)

Im trying to have like 1500pts for 3rd. Very little warmachines/magic though to try to keep it simple.

Fred9802

I'm not sure I could run 1500 without warmachines. I may have enough r&f dwarfs, but the other 750 would be a challange without a cannon or something to actvad a points sink. Maybe some ogre mercenaries?

Hey guys. The RT game continuesto develop. I was thinking of hosting it on Saturday, but I have not confirmed with work yet. Hopefully I will know more by the end of the week or month and I can propose a final schedule.

@robbodagobbo. Yeah. I used a lead belcher and trolls as a point sink. I still haven't actually written up a list. It's gotta be between 1k-1.5k though

VonGamer

Greets All:
Just an update for the Rogue Trader 40K Game I'm planning on offering, and a bit about the journey to get there.
I plan on a 4'x6' table, which I'll supply from my modular terrain. Pretty much an urban ruins fought over many times.
My intention, for at least the first clash, is to provide all the miniatures,terrain,play aids,dice etc.
Mostly an infantry type encounter.
Each force - ranging from 10 to about 20 figures - starts the game with a NEGATIVE points value - as I calculate from the RT book.
So far I intend to offer various Space Marine Chapters, Pirates, Imperial Guard, Squats,a Genestealer Coven, Eldar Pirates, Chaos Marines,Orks...you get the picture. I can support as many players as wish to play.
As I am "tweaking" the individual profiles to make most figures unique in some way, including equipment (rad counters anyone?) forces will vary in original strength and capabilities. Thus the negative value. A stronger force will have to play more aggressively to gain victory.
Each "kill" awards the winning force Victory Points based on the value of the defeated foe, double if eliminated in Close Combat. These points then reduce that negative starting value, shifting scores into positive territory as the game turns progress.
Additionally, players may opt to take on unique "missions" with points awarded for completion - less the longer it takes, or a penalty for failure. (Imperial Headquarters rewards success).
The table itself will also have GM controlled hazards and benefits.
You can make/bust deals between players almost anytime.
Victory judged at intermittent times during play.
I'm also thinking of introducing some "non-GW" forces for variety (I have a healthy collection of classic Dr. Who minis for example).
I used this system at conventions etc in the past. I believe it works well. Walk ons can join without skewing the game.
With lower forces it does allow picking up the game concepts easily. The profile sheets will also have the weapons capabilities listed as well. Not much "page flipping" that way.
I do like a fast paced game so push decision making. Turn sequence (which player when) is random so no two turns are the same.
After this first game, I expect players to roll out the forces they brought, unless they just need a loaner force.
Some rules I'm using from the early publications:
1- Space Marines in Power Armor get a +1 bonus to hit in CC. Compilation Pg 27.
2- Various armor does slow movement.
3- Squads can start small or large as the player wishes.
4- Not all squad members must do the same thing - some can shoot, some can engage in CC. Just maintain coherency.
I've also found:
Psychers - VERY expensive points wise. Equally VERY deadly.
I'll try to post some pictures soon of some of whats in store.
Hope this sounded interesting and fun.
Regards,
VonGamer
PS: Anyone feel like a session or two beforehand, I live about 10 minutes from Dropzone.

Attilla13

Just so everyone knows, I'm sending stuff off to dropzone to get us up on their calendar, they wanted to know how many tables/attendees that sort of thing.....so I'm busy with that, but we should appear soon. Also Rusty is trying to get the full schedule down as we know it so far.....so if you have more details about a game/challenge event let me know.

Hey everyone,

I play tested the RT demo and it worked out very well. The scenario will support six players total, three per side. The play test took about three hours, but that was with just with one player per side and neither player had played RT before. I am running these as RT core rules, not using Battle Manual and Vehicle Manual, though I may pull a few things from each book. I have quick reference cards drawn up and I am continuing to brush up on the rules on a daily basis.

I think dropzone has me down for one three hour block each day. Still trying to get a rough idea of how many of you guys are interested in participating? I am providing all the models for the demo, so all you have to do is show up!

- Chris

Con-fusion

Chris,

I'd like to join in. When is your Saturday block?

- Brian

Well... it looks pretty open format, so i'll just have a signup sheet and run six people at a time. Maybe run one or two scenarios a day and do some pickup games afterwrads or inbetween.

Back