Michaels 25mm WFB Stuff...

Whilst I will still post my WFB 3rd edition in 10/12mm stuff in an attempt to educate you heathen lot to its benefits, I have decided to gather my Mordheim models and spares and start putting together a WFB 3rd edition mini army in 25mm.

I don't much like painting 25mm as it takes an age, but I figured if I aim for about 50 figures total for the force, then I should be able to get it all done in about a year at 1 model per week.
Also I have been putting off BOYL as I feel like a bit of a fraud for doing 3rd edition in 10/12mm, and I do want to go to BOYL at some point, but just not with unofficial models in a teeny scale. etc.

So, I am still playing Mordheim but when that is done (maybe before) I will rebase them so I can have some extra models.

The plan is a unit of Helblitzen, a unit of Armbrustschutzen and a unit of Ersatzsolder with swords and shields.
Then a general type, and a wizardy type (which may be a drunk priest of Taal).

I have cobbled together the spares into the starts of a Helblitzen unit and have about 5 more on the way from a dude on FB:

hel.jpg

Plus I shall be integrating these dudes:

MRC.jpg

So there we go, a combination of nostalgia and the posts from you lot has worn me down into doing some 25mm oldhammer.

TBH, I wouldn’t be shy of taking your diddy men to BOYL. Many Oldhammerers don’t have the time, wherewithal or inclination to field old 25mm armies. Plenty of skirmish games get played.

BOYL has never been very proscriptive about what models you use. As long as they’re painted, it’s good. Sure, a lot of old Citadel lead gets deployed but so does plenty of other stuff. Old and new.

FWIW, the fellas in my old club in Hitchin, Herts have pretty much given up on 25mm for fantasy battles. They’ve moved over to 10mm 3D printed stuff and use their old lead for RoC retinue games, Mordheim etc.

Thanks, it still feels wrong somehow.
That and the 10mm was never meant for travel and packing that many 10mm models for transport is something I don't want to ever do.

:grin:

EricF

Administrator
Also I have been putting off BOYL as I feel like a bit of a fraud for doing 3rd edition in 10/12mm
Whilst I've never yet made it myself I can't imagine anyone would object. In fact I expect a lot of people would think it's rather cool and given space is often not on our side when it comes to building armies making little ones might be just the ticket!

I don't much like painting 25mm as it takes an age
Whilst I've only dabbled a little in this new fangled world of contrast (insert your trademark here) paints, a friend of mine went all in on the 2nd edition of Army Painter ones and I'm amazed how he's been chewing through his models for Warhammer Old World, but even with his new found speed he's still enjoying the painting enormously (although he was always a bit more into the gaming side rather than pure modelling side). Might be worth a punt if you're feeling daunted by the ranks ahead?

I have tried contrast and I am not a fan of the results, though I do use them on my 10mm undead skellies.
Even if I were to like the result, I would need to spend a fortune on them as I have just the one colour.

I like the end results of a painted 25mm figure, they just take so long compared to my regular dudes.

Martyn 10 hours:

(can't make out the subtleties like the scar tissue being slightly pink, his brown eyes etc, but in person I really like the end result.)

MARTYN.png

Helblitzen 10 hours:

Stir Helblitzen.PNG

Though this Helblitzen took about 40 hours:

helblitzen.jpg

Now I know which of the Helblitzen I prefer.
That is 35 of them at 40 hours, 35 x 25mm would be, if done to a similar standard would be about 280 hours.

True speed/contrast paints would be quicker, but I would not be happy with the results, and at this size I need to be, as the figures are massive to my eyes!

Despite my grumblings I would rather take 10 hours a figure and take 500 hours to do 50 that I was pleased with, than 100 hours to do 50 I thought were meh. Especially when some of the OOP older ones cost £50.00 or more each... :|

Thanks for trying to help, I just need to try and remember that my 25mm Stirland project is not for gaming for a year or more.

The 10mm I like to paint quickly ready for the next game.

I will get there, just remind me it is a vanity project not a gaming project, so no rush.

ACTUALLY... Maybe painting without any desired outcome or enforced timeline will mean I enjoy it.

Last edited:

ManicMan

while I understand the problem of alot of figures and little time, Never a fan of 'speed painting' as a rule.. meant to be fun and enjoyable not a quick 'lets get it over with' thing ^_^

I think it depends what the hobby is for a person. I like world building and the visual prettyness of it. Gaming is a secondary factor for me. But it is a factor. You get to escape into the world you build with others.
For some it is just about the game, and so for them they want a quick and painless route to the gaming.

Though I fear social media and high turnover content are partially to blame for it.

For me it is a very different hobby now than 30+ years ago when magazines and your mates were the only influence on my painting and gaming..

Get off my lawn.

EricF

Administrator
I like world building and the visual prettyness of it. Gaming is a secondary factor for me.
Totally the same for me. If you're not enjoying an aspect of the hobby or feel doing it is rewarding in some way why bother? It's one of the main reasons I continue to paint in the way I've learned to, because I find it relaxing and like (mostly) the result. Paint them in whatever way makes you happy and be damned with the time! :)

So after buying just a few models and sorting out what I already had, I am not far off from having a tiny Stirland force.

Garrison-scaled.jpg

Helblitzen-scaled.jpg

Erzatsolder-scaled.jpg

Woodsmen-scaled.jpg

Armbrustschutzen-scaled.jpg

Heroes-scaled.jpg

The final line up will be.

15 Helblitzen
10 Erzatsolder
5 Woodsmen
5 Armbrustschutzen

1 drunk wizard/priest
1 Captain.

Once complete in probably about a year, I will expand the units to enbiggen them.

To get to the current final plan I need.

A guy to hold the banner for the Helblitzen.
3 Erzatsolder with swords and shields
2 Woodsmen
1 Cool Armbrustschutzen as the main leader chap.

So just 7 more models to get to my Oldhammer force.

Woop, not too bad.
40 ish figures with about 33 to paint, so maybe all done by Christmas?

jon_1066

They are going to look grand. There is no rush - if it takes a year then fair play (though I would struggle to find 10 hours a week to paint!)
The results on your 25 mm figures speak for themselves (though these are surely 28 mm?)

I paint some stuff with sped paints to get a game with it and some stuff to a "higher standard" for pure relaxation and no pressure to game. The speed paint stuff is 80% there and to be honest I can see that slap chop/speed paint combined with highlights/attention on some key parts of a figure could be a very good half way house.

25/28/heroic something or other?
Who knows any more?

:grin:

Thanks for the reply.
I have the time to paint more, but it is mostly the ability. Evenings mostly see me too tired to want to paint, so I end up faffing.
When I can force myself to stop faffing and actually paint, an hour here and an hour there soon adds up.

ManicMan

very little difference between 25 and 28. mostly just depends on measurements but if you take say the Hero Quest minis, they are more 25 then 28 but don't come off as out of scale, just shorter people. which people are all heights.

jon_1066

Back in the day Citadel did move from the supposed 25 mm scale. If you look at the stuff being produced in the early years and other manufacturers in the early 80's they are significantly smaller than the later 80's Citadel offerings. 28 mm was Citadels own "brand" of scale as they liked the slightly larger figure to give more detail and personality to them. These figures are firmly in that later camp as opposed to the pre-slotta offerings. Ever larger figures is nothing new with GW - they were doing it right from the start!

Back