Marauder Giant apparently makes a return

EricF

Administrator
Tempted by the wyvern too. Trolls though, got me orderin
I wondered about the Wyvern, but decided to stick to the giant and some trolls (I'd still love the older marauder ones, but these still tweak my nostalgia button enough). Speaking of wyverns I'd still like to get another copy of DRAG6 as I'd love to give that another go at painting (but don't really want to strip the one I did as a kid), but I can live without that modern wyvern for now ;)

I think the last new thing I got from GW was...
I pick up the odd thing from GW every now and then, but if they are generally available mini's I'll try for the local game shop instead if they have stock. I think most of my purchases over the last few years have been Nurgle bits and pieces or presents.

I'm still debating the trolls.. I don't really have any real need for them
Need??!!! Of course you need them! :)

Well hopefully if sales of the last few made to order bits from GW have done well we'll see a few more classic(ish) bits and pieces released for Old World over the coming months

ManicMan

Wait.. I'm an idiot.. I though (though made to order) it was a pre-order... like they are up for sale for a couple of weeks and then they make and ship.. I just got shipping info.. Estimate to get them for Saturday.. mm.. should have paid more attention.

EricF

Administrator
Same here. I was expecting a 180 day wait, but got a shipping notice. They have either done some up front casting or maybe the shipping notice is in error? Guess we'll see in a day or two!

ManicMan

Maybe because of Germany? not that it should be that long.. but yeah.. see how it goes.. It's just I thought I would mention cause it's .. unexpected. Just checking my order e-mail it says 185 days.. so.. huh..

EricF

Administrator
I wonder if it's just a placeholder in their shipping system? My order email does say Order delivered in 185 working days ( ... Feb 2025) as expected, but the shipping tracking says delivery by the 11th May at the latest. I suspect knowing GW it's the former. Still the Emperor moves in mysterious ways. Either way the lead pile awaits...

In some ways it's mildly amusing given one of the things every bit written about Byran Ansell talks about the rapid turn around of orders, which back in the good old days of 28 days shipping was rather amazing, order from Citadel and it's in the post that day or the next. Now we've gone to the other extreme :)

ManicMan

yep.. with it being made to order, it should be a fairly fast turn around (compared to having to wait till all the orders are in and then bulk making) but.. yeah.. ^_^

So… despite never having collected WHFB in my life I always wanted one of those giants and the trolls - something about those sculpts just really inspired me as a teenager who loved fantasy but was never specifically into Warhammer fantasy.

I guess now I have some more things to distract me from finishing my Rogue Trader Marines, but I have no regrets…

The last MTO stuff arrived really quickly - I have also got a shipping notice already!

EricF

Administrator
Royal Mail in the UK have tomorrow (Thursday) down for my delivery.

I wonder how many they had cast up ahead of time then? It'd also be interesting to know if GW did all the casting themselves or if they ever outsource these days to local companies in different countries (or I guess where they have major operations they might do some local production these days?).

Still it'll be interesting to see what else makes a return over the rest of the year, although I expect it'll be more middle hammer stuff really. Anything anyone is really hoping for?

The boxes for the giant and the stone trolls all say Made in the UK, which is nice to see!

I hope they don’t make anything else I want for the rest of the year so I can fiscally recover from getting too excited about the MTO stuff that’s happened already…

EricF

Administrator
Yes I was only going to get the giant then I thought "well those trolls would set me back about £70-75 for three on ebay so..." alas I ended up getting some trolls as well, so my pile of unpainted miniatures which already threatens to topple over and crush me under it leaving an appropriate cairn on my remains will grow further...

ManicMan

skaven aren't "Officially" Supported in Old world, so they won't be reissuing any old skaven figures which slightly annoys me.. at one point they were becoming one of the core armies but not any more.. maybe cause they aren't featured in anything by Peter Jackson ¬_¬ only seen one thing he did which was any good and I think it could have been greatly improved with less of Weta and Peter Jackson but lets not get into that.)

still debating Trolls.. Can't remember how long this is open for... 2 weeks wasn't it?

EricF

Administrator
Until the 13th of May.

Well if Old World remains popular enough they'll no doubt want to keep releasing stuff, so you never know maybe Skaven will make a return in time!

EricF

Administrator
Well a giant and some trolls (3x river, 3x stone) arrived just now... perfectly nice castings. No obvious "I'm a 2024 cast" labels on the giant. Doesn't look like they have done a tonne of work on him or anything - pieces will need some green stuff and so forth. Would be interesting if they did a "behind the scenes" of their made-to-order metal bits and pieces. Have the literally just found the master casting (or even the green) and made some fresh molds from it or did they take a master casting and tidy it up etc?

Of course because life has to kick you my Giant is missing the barrel ... however GW were very good on the phone just now and have said they will sort it and ship out a replacement hopefully before Feb 2025 :)

Fimm McCool

Of course because life has to kick you my Giant is missing the barrel ...
I guess they heard you were after an original. ;)
My trolls also arrived this morning. Haven't cracked them open yet. Considering ordering a few more as there's still time! :grin:

Fimm McCool

did they take a master casting and tidy it up etc?
Yes, I imagine this. They'll have kept most of the master casts from this era I expect as they don't take much space to store and are less prone to damage than original greens (which often don't make it out of the initial moulding process undamaged).

Back