Machen's Oldfangled Minis

Machen

nice job. I played some of Half life went it came back.. ohhh,, that's some time back.. 98 I think.. Didn't play too much, didn't think much of it.. same with Quake which I felt it was alot like.. I just kept with Doom. I was quite into the Doom modding community as it was at the time and had been for a while at that point.. though some... things and people started to really annoy me and I'm long out of that now.. games might be worth trying again but felt I already had much better games and new games were pricey for me.. so.. maybe it got better after that demo from... erm.. can't remember what mag..

still, very nice figure ^_^
I was into both Doom and Half-Life many years ago. Haven't really touched either in a good long while.

Machen

Pucci . . .
in . . .
Spaaaaace . . .

Space Pucci with Ork 1.jpgSpace Pucci 1.jpg

The gobliny guys are Pucci, my favorite type of Fomorian from Alternative Armies' Erin Celtic Myth Range. Pucci heads have a lot of character, but fantasy isn't my thing, so I sci-fied them up by kitbashing the heads onto some tiny spaceman bodies sold by Miniature Figurines / Matchlock Miniatures. I think they have a nice Oldhammery look to them.

They're shown here with a (also kitbashed) mantic Deadzone Ork for scale. As you can see, they're tiny little dudes.

I doubt I'll ever paint a full Ork army, but I'd like to have a skirmish-level band of Ork mercenaries painted up some day. These Space Pucci will serve nicely as Gretchen-type allies for them. Could use them as space Chaos goblin mutants, too.

Last edited:

Machen

Hello friends,

Today I have an old metal Cybertronic Machinator from Warzone to show. (They're still available in packs of 4 with 2 poses from Prince August at the time of this writing.)

I really liked the design of this cyber skeleton, but I wasn't crazy about the big Cs on its head and right shoulderplate. Most of all, I didn't like the "Hit me! I'm wide open!" single-piece cast pose. So I removed the Cs and carefully bent the figure into a more naturalistic stance. I'm happy with the result.

Reposed Machinator 2 s.jpgOriginal Machinator.jpg
Reposed Machinator s.jpg

Attachments

• Reposed Machinator s.jpg
    Reposed Machinator s.jpg
    618.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Reposed Machinator 2 s.jpg
    Reposed Machinator 2 s.jpg
    598.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Machen

Nice one! You've really animated him with that bending. So much so I will forgive your clear plastic base atrocity. :grin:
Thanks for being merciful about my atrocious transparent base! The fact that you're willing to overlook it is high praise indeed.

I actually have a lot of respect for the art of dioramic basing and love work like yours. The clear bases I use are partially intended to let the figures blend in against any background, which I do like, but they are just as much a concession to reality / mortality. That reality being that it already takes me much too long to finish painting a single miniature, and as I'm no spring chicken, that makes me worry that if I tackled learning to base as well that I'd never finish much of anything. It's the same reason that, at least for now, I'm using pre-painted terrain rather than pursuing the nobler and more fulfilling path of creating my own from scratch.

But here's the thing - if I ever decide to rebase my minis traditionally, then removing them from clear bases won't be that hard.
So maybe there's hope for me yet? ;)

symphonicpoet

I know this is herasy, but . . . I'm really tempted by the clear plastic basing myself. If I weren't *mumblety mumble* years in and hip deep in sand and flock I'd do it myself. (I still might.)

Anyway, well done! Did not know about those cyber skellies. Looks great! :)

Machen

I know this is herasy, but . . . I'm really tempted by the clear plastic basing myself. If I weren't *mumblety mumble* years in and hip deep in sand and flock I'd do it myself. (I still might.)

Anyway, well done! Did not know about those cyber skellies. Looks great! :)
Thanks for the compliment. I like to give credit where it's due, so I asked Tim Prow and he thought these Cyber skeletons were probably sculpted by Phil Lewis. (Does anyone here know what happened to Phil Lewis? Is he still sculpting these days?)

And in case you are ever tempted onto the dark, heretical path of clear basing, here's a tip I learned the hard way: always go with 1.5mm thickness, never 3mm. With less of a light-catching edge, 1.5mm is much more "invisible" on the tabletop than 3mm, and 1.5mm thick acrylic is plenty sturdy. Take it from a guy who just rebased all his 3mm clear based figures onto 1.5mm clear bases. Maybe I'll do a short comparative post on the difference someday with pictures.

Machen

Hey everybody,

Here's my latest. Although the sculptor isn't credited, from the style this had to be sculpted by Tim Prow back in his early Warzone days. I liked the original sculpt (below right, a "Templar Gendarme Hunter") for its outlandish and evocative tusken raider vibes, but prefer aliens to bald humans, so I did a headswap with Mantic's Deadzone Hund mercenary (which fortunately comes with two head options) and then turned the head for dramatic effect. Finally, I used modelling putty to sculpt the green cowl that wraps around the neck to conceal the join between the new head and the body. I've never painted tusks before, so I studied some photos of weathered tusks online (sadly, mostly from news reports about ivory contraband seized from elephant poachers) and emulated them. I plan to use this guy as a bounty hunter or desert raider.

Der Hexer.jpgOriginal Templar Gendarme Hunter.jpg
Kitbashed Templar Gendarme Hunter s.jpg Der Hexer, reverse.jpg
Just for fun, here's a little bio I cobbled together for him:

Ket, “Der Hexer”

Lacking the courage to become a poet, a disgraced young Dimmen named Ket left his familial enclave seventy seasons ago and trekked deep into the Purple Desert of Hei, where he lives to this day in self-imposed exile. To survive, Ket consults the turquoise divining stones he wears to predict the movements of the great Cloudbeast herds, and brings down stray Thunderheads and Nimbi* with his harpoon launcher, harvesting their meat and adorning himself with their tusks in the Dimmen manner. He raids unwary Udeutschen caravans with equal skill, and his uncanny ability to strike and vanish into the shifting sands has led those Germanic traders to call him "Der Hexer." No one knows if Ket has completely abandoned the sacred literary pursuits of his people, but some traders claim to have successfully placated him with volumes of poetry, ink and parchment, and other forms of scriptorial tribute.

*Avast, ye grammar fascists: the plural form of nimbus isn't like the plural form of octopus. Although "nimbuses" is more commonly used, "nimbi" is also correct, so there.

Firefall!.jpg

ManicMan

nice.. with that head... reminds me of the Villain from Toxic Crusaders (the cartoon series based on the Toxic Avenger Troma films)

Machen

Interesting, I'll have to look up an image of him. Toxic Crusaders was after my time (I'm of the Legion of Doom villain generation. Black Manta's voice effect still rocks!)

ManicMan

without going through episodes to get a decent screen shot, here is a picture online of the original toy (they have done new ones and stuff..)

Dr. Killemoff (yes, 'Kill 'em Off' cause.. isn't that the right name for a villain in a kids show? ah.. 80s and early 90s were the times for kids cartoons) was technically a 4 armed bug, with this as his 'disguise' which... kinda didn't make sense cause it was clearly not human but.. you know Troma films right? Lloyd Kaufman, the mane guy behind Troma even worked on it still.

Machen

without going through episodes to get a decent screen shot, here is a picture online of the original toy (they have done new ones and stuff..)

Dr. Killemoff (yes, 'Kill 'em Off' cause.. isn't that the right name for a villain in a kids show? ah.. 80s and early 90s were the times for kids cartoons) was technically a 4 armed bug, with this as his 'disguise' which... kinda didn't make sense cause it was clearly not human but.. you know Troma films right? Lloyd Kaufman, the mane guy behind Troma even worked on it still.
OK, I see what you mean with the large respirator and big purple jacket. And "Dr. Killemoff" does sound very Troma.

twisted moon

that's an interesting figure.
i'm in the same situation as symphonic poet. if i didn't already have lots of figures with 'scenic' bases i'd appreciate the utility of clear acrylic.

Machen

It's appropriate to announce today's (re)painted miniature in the hyperbolic Mighty Marvel Manner of the early 80's:

Fear is Firefall.jpg

Ummm . . . who's Firefall?

Firefall is an old and very obscure Marvel comics character, the friend & sometimes foe of his fellow Spaceknight, Rom. My little brother had a subscription to Marvel's Rom series when we were kids, so I got to read them, too. Now that I'm old and wrinkly, I find they have a certain nostalgic charm. But still, why repaint a heroclix Firefall model? Who knows, really? The older I get, the less I understand why I do what I do. But here are two likely contributing factors:

1. The figure was dirt cheap (about a buck.)
2. The original factory paintjob, solid red, was about as lame and uninspired as can be, and there's a strange sort of (perverse?) pleasure in taking something mass produced and crudely painted and turning it into something unique that was painted with care.

Original Firefall.jpg Firefall repaint front.jpg

Firefall repaint back.jpg
I painted the backpack (originally solid red like the rest of the figure) to look like it was actively generating the flames on his shoulders.

In the comics, Firefall wielded the "Living Flame of Galador" (not to be confused with the "Living Flame of Pyro" wielded by another Marvel character) which he could manipulate like a wizard and use to blast foes from a distance. Before he was grafted into his cybernetic armor to battle the evil Dire Wraiths, Firefall was a well-muscled guy named Karas who had long hair and went around shirtless. He looked like Space Fabio. So did the series' hero Rom, before his cyborg conversion. Golden Galador was the planet of the Space Fabios.

I wasn't sure I liked this model that much when I started painting him, and wondered if I was wasting my time, but now that he's finished, I like him a lot. It's interesting how spending the time and care to paint models not only changes how they look, but also how you perceive them.

Last edited:
Back