Kev Adams winding road?

ManicMan

I recently got some nice figures from Knightmare Miniatures in Spain via there 'Mystery Packs'. The company had some nice miniatures but didn't think enough that made me wanna order them, so I liked when some do mystery packs cause not only do you get a good deal (in fact, I got a great deal I think on these) but it gives you a nice idea of the kinda stuff they sell in person, more then just as painted pictures.

Anyway, I was quite pleased to notice some of the Goblins looking like Kev Adams work, and then on the tabs seeing 'Kev Adams' written.. sadly, Knightmare don't list the sculptures of the miniatures much on their site. Atleast one of them also got my attention with the word 'Nemesis' which was clearly not the figure name.. and looking it up lead to a nice winding road for just how far some of these minis have travelled which I find interesting at times so.. Felt i wanted to share if people don't know.

Back in 2003, Bob Olley and Jackie Springall created 'Olleys Armies' to produce miniatures. they seam.. to kinda be in business but also went out of business in 2008.. They mostly sold off alot of there old stock but do the odd kickstarter but Ii think the last one was some time back.. One of the ranges they did at some point were 'Nemesis Goblins' by Kev Adams.

Forward to 2010, Rhoninstorm miniatures was created in Penwortham, England to make old 80s and 90s style figures. One of the ranges they did was Goblinmaster. These featured the Nemesis Goblins and then some new Goblins in a similar style but I can't say right now if they were by Kev as I haven't seen them.. or maybe I have but don't know it.. a bit hard to say..

Rhoninstorm didn't last long at all and went under in 2012. At which point some of the ranges atleast were picked up by Crooked Claw Miniatures in Hanover, Germany. This company started in 2012 and were basically just to publish the Kev Goblins but later expanded the range somewhat. That company went under in 2016.

THEN in 2016, Knightmare Miniatures was founded and do a lot via kickstarter to get miniatures started, which is fine with me. They do a few ranges but have the rights and the models from Crooked Claw as well as there own in the 'Green Skin Wars' range. Whew.. While there site does seam to list which ones are from crooked claw, it doesn't (like I said) really say who the sculptors were but there are some very nice early 2000s Kev Adams Goblins in there current range. For such a short time, these have really gone down a long run from the UK, to Germany, to Spain and then.. I got some back to the UK ^_^

Just thought it was interesting and worth a note. more so when you can get a unit of 10 (with Leader) of either mostly or completely Kev metal Goblin Archers for about £28 (about £2.80 a figure).. not too bad.

Fimm McCool

Interesting. I knew about Crooked Claw and wish I had bought more from them back then (they were in the UK so shipping was much cheaper!) but didn't know some had origins before then.

My big beef with most post-GW Kev Adams greenskins is how damn big they are. They just don't fit nicely alongside his earlier sculpts. I hear that he has recently had surgery to have some cataracts removed so maybe with his superhuman laser vision now his upcoming Old School Miniatures sculpts will be smaller.

Back