D&D ADVENTURE! Quest for the Abbot's Cheese

Asslessman

"Bufo, I know what you're doing but th emoney will be divided between those who fought. You had you shar eof the combat so you're having your share of the gold too. I know the whip is special, hand it to me first, there's something I want to check"
Seu closed his eyes and left his spirit wander to search for any traces of evil in the whip, The magic he had felt had been most unpleasant and he wouldn't risk handing a cursed wepaon to one of his companions...
"I'll take the first watch with you Bufo, wouldn't want to risk losing such a good company as yourself"
Seu was smiling, though it had been unpleasant lately and far worse things were showing in the future, it somehow felt right for him to be here with these people.

The whip felt extremely uncomfortable in the Paladin's hand. The urge to thrown it aside was strong, and his stomach churned, filling his mouth with a sour taste - the presence of evil enchantments was thick on the weapon, that much was for sure!

Bufo muttered something about the 'gods help those who help themselves' but grudgingly started sorting the coins into seperate piles, wincing briefly at the sound of Rambulge beating in goblin skulls with his cudgel.

Robin's examination at the cave entrance didn't turn up much they didn't already know - a small horde of goblins passed here regularly. Some very old but deep wheel tracks remained, indicating that this cave had possibly seen use in the past by smugglers or somesuch (the illegal cheese trade had been rife in these parts in days of old, before the Rollstead Act had been repealed, allowing the consumption of cheese in public houses and private residences once again).

There was one track that caused Robin some concern. It was faint, quite old, only a partial footprint really, but it indicated a heavy tread, and a foot three times the size of a man...

Rambulge finished his nasty but necessary work. The Paladin had restored much of his vitality, but his exertions with the heavy club had left him exhausted - he needed to rest!

The sun was beginning it's descent towards the horizon, the shadows lengthened.

"If we're going to make camp, we ought to do it soon" the halfling observed. The thought of gathering firewood in the dark was not appealing to him. "So, do we make camp here to watch the cave, or go somewhere else so the cave can't watch us...?"

Asslessman

"I'd stay clear from this place if possible, the very stench of it makes me sick. We don't want to rest at the entrance of a cave where some goblins or even worse might return... I'll pack what we found and go pick some wood, Master Robin, is a ranger like yourself willing to find us a better place to rest?"
Seu packed the whip and scale mail, he was going to give it a thorough look to see if any thing could be done with it after some proper smith work or if it was actually worth something...

Penddraig

Robin looked back at the large footprint near the cave, he was sure it seemed familiar to him but he couldn't place it. Looking back at his companions and then at the dark, forbidding cave and the lengthening shadows of dusk he nodded. "Come this way. A decent camp site isn't hard to find and if we're quiet, we might be able to find one where our watch can observe the cave mouth at the same time but still keep our fire concealed. I suggest though that our brave Rambulge spend most of the night resting; you look like you could do with it after your brave and noble exertions."

With that the ranger walked back into the woods, beginning to look for an appropriate camp. Over his shoulder he called back, "oh and be careful of that mutton. Last place I heard of around here that had sheep stolen was over 3 weeks ago..."

His heroic actions had at the very least bordered on foolhardy, Rambulge chided himself...surely casting a spell wouldn't have hurt.
After the Paladin had expended his magic healing his wounds, Rambulge barely made it to their campsite before falling into a deep, almost comatose slumber.
His dreams were filled with Goblins, mocking villagers and his disapproving Mother...

The ranger found them an adequate campsite, and with the plentiful tinder available a merry fire was soon burning. Rambulge stumbled into his sleep roll and entered a deep slumber, twitching fitfully now and again. Robin slipped away quietly and returned at nightfall with a brace of fat coneys and some wild potatoes and turnips with which a hearty stew was made.

Sir Antheus, his mind still ruminating over the events of the day, sat down after their meal to examine the suit of scale mail they had recovered from the dead orc. Though rent in several places and falling apart in many others, he was pleased to recognise the metal scales themselves were of very high quality, forged with a technique unique to a certain race of men who dwelled high in the mountains where the winds blew strong and the forge-fires hot. He pulled several leaf-shaped scales from their rotted backing and turned them over, admiring how the firelight gleamed off the delicately wrought metal, and how each was light as a feather. Truly, they were miniature works of art, and sure to command a decent price from a blacksmith. He even considered the value a remade suit would hold, and for a solid hour he picked away each scale until they were all stashed safely in his pack.

Bufo's stomach gurgled, for once, not with hunger, but in an epic struggle with the mutton leg he had greedily gobbled some hours before. His turn on first watch couldn't finish fast enough, especially not with the Paladin standing stock still on sentry duty nearby, deep in contemplation, radiating a holy energy that was quite uncomfortable for the evil-hearted halfling to contend with. He clambered up a nearby tree, using his hook and rope to secure a spot on a branch to sit and observe the dark cave mouth in the distance. His keen eyes could make it out even in the gloom, for the moon gave off a little light to see by.

It was nearly two hours later that he thought he saw some movement over by the cave entrance, a darker spot creeping on the dim lit ground. He blinked and strained but the apparition, if it ever existed, had soon vanished.

A soft whistle came from below, and Bufo saw Robin scrambling up the trunk to a branch close by. "Time for you to sleep halfling" he murmered, and Bufo gladly descended, his own bedroll waiting below near the embers of their spent fire.

The little thief had been asleep scarcely half an hour when he awoke to find the Paladin listening keenly for something.

"What is it?" Muttered the sleepy halfling. Sir Antheus beckoned for silence. Then they both heard it - a distant, echoing screech coming from the direction of the cave. It sent a chill down the halfling's spine, for even though it was clearly a goblin making that dreadful sound, it was hard even for him, with his heart as black as soot, not to feel a modicum of pity. The scream cut off abruptly. No further sounds were heard. An image of the lone goblin that had escaped that afternoon's battle came to the halfling, and the shadow he had seen crawling back into the cave suddenly made sense.

"The big boss ain't happy I'm guessing" murmered the halfling, more to himself than anyone else. He lay back down and entered a troubled sleep himself.

Nothing else of note happened that night.

Asslessman

Seu woke up and started his ritual sacred exercices. To most people it was just working out and doing pushups while praying but to Seu, it was all about strengthening mind, body and spirit at the same time and thanking the Lady of the Lake or the parcel of power she lent him everyday. This practice and his life offered to help others had taken him from the self-whiping bunch of zealots with whom his parents had left him.
After an hour, he stood up as the last of his companions were waking up and started some brief toilet. He rapidly hid his back scared by whipmarks (part of which were his own doing) as he saw Bufo couldn't get his eyes form them.
"Gentlemen, Bufo and I have heard some screams and stranges noises last night. I didn't see no reaosn to wake you up but I believe there's something still dwelling in the depths of this cave. I know nothing about it but the orc we defeated may have not been the master of the goblins..."

Finally rousing from his slumber, Rambulge felt like he had been born again.
After his own, brief morning rituals he took in what Sir Antheus described of the previous night while he tucked into some mixed nuts and dried fruit he carried with him...when he saw the way the Halfling made eyes for his food Rambulge drew the pouch closed and secured it to his belt once more without comment.

"Not yet" he said solemnly as he spat out a husk.

Bufo's stomach had won the battle vs the mutton chop last night, but it was merely a small chapter in the war against his digestive system. He picked through his pouches looking for a morsel or crumb to salve his aching hunger, but no such luck was to be his. He eyed the spell-sword's brief breakfast greedily, but was rebuffed most unfairly - had he not saved the man's very life yesterday? Were his sling bullets not instrumental in their grand victory, launched as they were from his shrub of glory, boldly hidden out of sight of their foes?

"That's gratitude," mumbled the halfling. He stood up and stretched his short limbs with a series of little cricks and cracks. A thief he may be, and a decent climber for a shorty, but exercise was a concept he seldom entertained, and on an empty stomach? Inconcievable! His thoughts strayed from the yawning cavern of his belly to the yawning cavern they were yet to explore. After last night's eerie sounds, he was loath to go in there - his sense of preservation was kicking in harder with every minute. But the cheese... retrieving it would solve so many of his current problems, and yet, it had caused so many at the same time. He wished he had never laid eyes upon that delicious, delicious wheel, let alone stolen it from that heavily guarded monastery!

The halfling paused suddenly... what HAD possessed him to steal that cheese? He had been doing so well for himself, living quite happily off the 'fat of the land', why had he blown it all so abruptly on the one wheel of cheese in the land that was actually worth something? He honestly couldn't remember... in fact, it was giving him a headache just thinking about it. He shook his head and mentally dropped the subject. There were more pressing matters at hand...

It would be a good time for the characters to talk strategy and plan how this first dungeon crawl should commence - things like party order and the method of approach. Each character has certain strengths which may come in handy... ;)

Penddraig

Robin looked up at the cave mouth, in the morning air it looked, well not welcoming but certainly more appealing than other places he had been.

Picking up some of the coney and wild food he had found last night, he tossed some to the clearly starving Halfling before starting his own breakfast. "We need to think about how we're going to tackle this. We were lucky yesterday with the goblins and that foul creature and if the tracks I found yesterday are an indication, there are larger creatures within that cave. How many, I don't know, but we need to play this carefully.

We need to scout. Now if we were in woods I could disappear happily and lead a trail but in there," Robin indicated the cave with his hunting knife, "my skills are more limited. Seeing how well our little friend there with the remains of that coney could disappear maybe he could lead our scout. With that armour, our paladin friend would do well up front but it'll be more difficult to sneak around but useful if we get engaged in combat. Rambulge seems to be handy with that cudgel but is a little lightly armoured for a warrior so would do best in the centre. With my bow I could either support from behind or be up front aiding our Halfling scout.

Thoughts?"

Asslessman

(Chewing some pieces of the Brother's bread he got when he left the temple) I like the sound of this, (looking at Bufo) Bufo up front will have to behave and may be less tempted to flee, he'll know what's good for him...
(looking at the rest of them) with you backing us, I'll go in the front with Bufo. You have my shield !
Let us hide any of our food and conceal it so the smell doesn't give us to the master of the cave.

The Ranger and Paladin spoke good sense, Rambulge regretted not having heavier armour and a shield.
While he had no interest in leading men, if there was danger he always put himself forward but the Paladin was best suited to take the front.
His brush with death was something he was not in a hurry to repeat if possible, Rambulge knew he had to display more caution as the Paladin's healing powers were thinly spread.
But he had to make do with what he had, there was no point in crying over lost cheese...or was there?

Asslessman

Seu ajusted his leather glove and the metal plate attached to it and did a few blank swings. His armour had been like a second skin to him and the childhood spent working and praying with a heavy chainmail on had both strenghtened his body and resolve.
"Then let's go in as we agreed, Bufo, you go first I'll be right behind you, you'll scout the area and in case of danger, you 'll just fall back to us where we can protect you. You would be well advised to leave your hands off anything shiny you see, we want to avoid booby traps... OH COME ON Bufo, yes I said Booby! you're not 8 years old anymore! stop smiling for the Lady's sake!
The end of our quest may be at the end of this cave so let's do our duty with the head up ! "
Trying to keep his face with a stiff upper lip, Seu briefly got a mental image of the stained glass windows and the origin of the Abbot's cheese but he decided not to let Bufo's nonsense get in the way of his mission. He had sworn an oath to the lady, to all good people and to his temple and no matter what, he would do the right thing.
"For all that is good gentlemen, let's get in !"

The party approached the cave cautiously. They had spent the morning in preparation, each in their own way, but there was no putting it off any further.

Bufo was far from happy with the whole arrangement. Walking into danger at the head of the party was far from his style. His only consolation was that, despite what the Paladin said, if he happened to stumble across any treasures (or food) while scouting ahead... well, who would be the wiser?

Bufo instructed: "You all wait here at the entrance, and listen for my signal to follow. The signal will be the mating call of the swamp merrow."

The natural cave mouth soon became a tunnel dug deep into the hillside. The cart tracks continued from the entrance. All along the walls were burnt out torches, lending the tunnel a deep gloom, and there was no sound at all save those he made himself. After creeping some ten yards down the dark hall, Bufo discovered a side tunnel to the left. He eased his way carefully around the corner, noting that the air was stale and danker than before. Another ten yards or so found him in a medium sized cave filled with dozens of hide sleeping mats, and the remains of a large cooking fire. Various skeletal remains lay around, mostly from livestock, though he shuddered at the sight of a human skull or two kicking about. The fire pit was cold and had clearly not been used for a day or two. The stink in the room was barely tolerable.

Scattered around on the floor near the sleeping mats were scant few possessions, pieces of crude equipment abandoned by the goblins in their hurry to escape the wrath of their angry orc overseer. Nothing was of particular value, save for a tough hide shield lying near a puddle of excrement. He picked it up gingerly - it had a very rough picture of a leering face depicted on it, but it seemed sturdy and serviceable. He carried it back to the main corridor and made his randy merrow-call. The rest of the party soon joined him.

"I could be wrong," whispered Bufo, "but this place seems empty to me. Noone has been through here since we killed those goblins yesterday. There is no sound coming from further down the cave. Maybe whoever was here last night has moved on?"

Robin the ranger was skeptical. There had been no fresh tracks leading from the cave entrance they had used.

"Well, i suppose we ought to head deeper in. I'll go on ahead...again..." The little thief looked rather crestfallen.

The tunnel continued for another twenty yards, before suddenly opening up into a huge cavern. It was so dark down here that even with his excellent night vision, he almost didn't notice the transition. The roof stretched up and over what appeared to be an old mine. There were rickety wooden gantries to the left, right, and straight ahead. As his eyes adjusted to the darkness, he saw two tunnels leading out, one straight ahead on the other side of the cavern, the other to the far right. Here and there old rotten wooden buckets slowly collapsed into themselves. Rubble from digging sat in piles and broken pick heads peeked out of dusty corners. It had clearly not been used as a mine for decades, but it wasn't wholly unused. There were multitudes of footprints leading off to the tunnel straight ahead. The tunnel to the right was suspiciously clear of much in the way of footprints. There was still no sound at all to be heard. Creeping back up the tunnel aways, he made the sound of the merrow's sweet lovin' song again. The rest of the party caught up momentarily.

Asslessman

Seu heard the Bufo' signal and followed the footsteps and sound. He picked some of the torches and checked if his flint lighter was still in the pouch hanging from his belt, he would soon need them, his eyes not being accustomed to the darkness as the halfling's.
He briefly examined the shield and gave a look at Rambulge, the stench of it was horrible but only living men can serve Good and Rambulge could use some protection.
Right now Seu main concern wasn' on what was ahead but what might come from the rear. being attacked from behind would be a terrible situation for them. Whatever their path they had to secure the exits.
Seu handed some torches to his companions and showed the footprints in front of the entrance that was straight ahead, he made his companions understand this seemed to be the way to go for him. Showing the right entrance which looked like an abandonned minepit and the one they had just used, he crossed his fingers to explain he thought wise to secure these paths...
As he did that, he put his right hand on Bufo's shoulder. He could sense the evil in him but he could also feel some vague traces of good . Seu's breathing was slow and his heartbeat was calm because his mind was clear thanks to his morning practice. He tried to reach Bufo's good to ease him and relieve him of his stress.
Where there is good, there is hope. Where there is good he would always help the best he could.

Bufo jumped as the Paladin attempted to fondle him in the dark. He made his way quickly forward, preparing to scout out the tunnel directly ahead.

Robin notices that the footprints leading straight ahead go both in and out of the tunnel.

:lol: (sorry)

While not the make of his choosing, Rambulge took the shield with a shrug of his shoulders.
Though they had encountered nothing so far, he suspected assailants to spring forth at any moment...

Asslessman

Seu was half surprised by Bufo's reaction, he had experienced the same from some brothers when he was a young squire at the boarding school of the knights temple.
Seu thought : "The halfling must have some reluctance to accept the good in him. When we leave this place, I must take the time to tell him it's only natural to accept who we really are and that it doesn't hurt to open oneself"
Seu signed himself to thank the lady for giving him the opportunity to help others while in a quest.

Seu quiclky disposed some of the rotten buckets in balance on some rocks in the way they had left and the one they had passed on their right. This way, anyone coming from either side would make them fall and alert them.

Penddraig

Robin edged to the side, trying to use his wilderness skills at stealth to remain as unseen as possible but in this unnatural environment he was finding it difficult. He also made sure that any attack that came from the tunnel entrance, he could quickly draw a shot to. As they approached the tunnel mouth, Robin bent down to look at the tracks more closely; maybe they could reveal what they hunted down here...

Robin identified multitudes of goblin tracks, overlayed many times over. This area was well used while the greenskins had lived. None of them were fresher than a day. Over to the right, towards that tunnel entrance, was a faint, almost non-existent trace of another giant footprint.

As the others secured the cavern and it's entrances, Bufo crept towards the tunnel straight ahead. In a now familiar pattern, the tunnel stretched for about 10 yards, and on the left hand side there was an entrance leading to the right. Turning the corner, it turned out to be an alcove for a rough old wooden door. There was a crude lock, but on closer inspection the door wasn't locked. Gently, so so gently, he eased the door open. It creaked - he stopped. He continued again, this time, so so so so gently. The door was open sufficiently for him to slip through, so he did so.

The door led to a smaller room that the previous ones they had discovered - in fact it seemed to be a room for a single occupant. There was something resembling an actual bed (torn, filthy, lice infested, but still a bed). A very battered but solid chest lay at the foot of the bed, and a small table sat in the corner with three gold pieces (yoink), a silver ring (swipe) and some old beef jerky strips (omnomnom). There was also an old key, but it didn't fit the chest lock.

"Well, this is definitely my department" Bufo muttered quietly, digging out his old lockpick set. After a frustrating three attempts, he cursed and gave up - he couldn't budge the lock on the old chest. He went back through the door and gave his signal.

Back