Citadel JD, Paranoia AND Gothic Horror

dazza36

Not a series I was ever interested in as a youth but I just love this thread the models have so much character and you painting skills really bring them to life

Sleepysod

I have three Paranoia miniatures to share

First is the last of the Citadel PARA2 Troubleshooters that I had left to paint up. I didn't enjoy this guy much and he sat on the shelf half painted for a long time. Still he's managed to beat the last two Vulture Guards (Officer and Neuro-whip). They will get done eventually...

Front

Back

Now I'm going to be cheeky (sorry admin) and add two Paranoia miniatures produced by Mongoose - even though they aren't Oldhammer they are still (i believe) 15 years old and aesthetically fit in with the other citadel range (if a little bit larger).

MechBot

Guard

Front

Back

Sleepysod

Last one and I'll call it a day. I tried to paint up some Bloodbowl. I didn't get very far. This is the only guy I "completed", and even then he codul probably do wuth a bt more tweaking and detail

Hope you like :)

Sleepysod

dazza36":m7ea897r said:
Not a series I was ever interested in as a youth but I just love this thread the models have so much character and you painting skills really bring them to life

Cheers mate. When the GH, JD and Paranoia line were issued I really didn't see the point. RPG's really didn't need miniatures and after all I was 100% invested in WFB and 40K - all those lovely Kev Adams orc war machines to collect and the monthly arrival of new Rogue Trader goodies meant I didn't have time, money or inclination to look at 1920's detectives.

Now as an old git they have somehow won me over. Once I've finished collecting them all I'd love to see them in a game :grin:

Jonas

Sleepysod":1enxg0f5 said:
Also did you see that auction on eBay for the two unreleased commie minis? I was out at £51 but they ended up going for £157...

I did not see that, but I have seen them recently at huge BIN prices. I don't think I will ever get those, at least it will be a very long time before I would even consider shelling out that kind of money for miniatures.

Sleepysod

Two more to share.

Citadel Gothic Horror CC1 'Vicar' - he has the head of "Noel, Noel" and the body of "The Reverend" from 'Curse of the Mummy's tomb'

And another Night Horror - this time the 'Flesh Golem'. Not collecting all of this range, and this guy happened to be in a job lot. Nothing spectacular, but still I think he came out okay :)

Front

Back

There are some gems in the Night Horrors range. Have you treated us to a group shot, like you’ve done with some of the other ranges you’re doing, yet?

Sleepysod

Citizen Sade":1saz4vm7 said:
There are some gems in the Night Horrors range. Have you treated us to a group shot, like you’ve done with some of the other ranges you’re doing, yet?

I don't have that many minis from the Night Horrors range, but if I combine with some of the other gribblies that I've painted recently that might work ;) leave it with me.

Sleepysod

At Citizen Sade's request here are all of my completed Citadel C18 Night Horrors. I took a load of shots, including the other gribblies (Citadel and non-citadel), but none of them are great - its difficult to get them all in shot (especially the big lads).

I'll have to have a play at the weekend and see what if I can to improve them (light box etc)

Good stuff. That blue Fishman really pops among his more muted friends.

Wasn’t there was a were-bear too? I seem to remember that your PJ on it prompted me to hunt one down.

Sleepysod

Citizen Sade":2qo8ack4 said:
Wasn’t there was a were-bear too? I seem to remember that your PJ on it prompted me to hunt one down.

Sorry, not me - but would like one as he's not a million miles away from the ape man.

symphonicpoet

Never trust the vicar! I really should have known that by now.

Also note: I'm hip deep in reading my first ever Cthulhu Mythos novel: A Night in the Lonesome October, by Roger Zelazny. (Okay, it's also an homage to Doyle, Shelly, Stoker, Poe, and every other good horror novelist in the English language. But there are clearly Elder Gods in it. So . . . Cthulhu all the way for the . . . oh my. I will not say win here. I guess I am too much of a closer.)

Anyway . . . lovely work as always. Kindly ignore me if I try to apply names to your miniature collection. ;)

Sleepysod

Never trust the vicar! I really should have known that by now.

Also note: I'm hip deep in reading my first ever Cthulhu Mythos novel: A Night in the Lonesome October, by Roger Zelazny. (Okay, it's also an homage to Doyle, Shelly, Stoker, Poe, and every other good horror novelist in the English language. But there are clearly Elder Gods in it. So . . . Cthulhu all the way for the . . . oh my. I will not say win here. I guess I am too much of a closer.)

Anyway . . . lovely work as always. Kindly ignore me if I try to apply names to your miniature collection.

Has to be said that Lovecraft isn't the best writer in the world, and his racial prejudice stands out in a quite a number of his works. BUT there are occasional moments of genius (Mountains of Madness!) and the overall mythos and the way its been expanded is pretty cool.

I'm really interested in what other people have done with the mythos - so nice to have a recommendation - Lovecraft Country also looks interesting, but its not on any of the streaming services I'm subscribed to at the moment, and then there's that Nichola Cage adaption of The Colour From Space...

Anyhow conscious I haven't posted in this thread recently. In the last month I did tidy up the lead pile and finish a number of Copplestone adventurers and skaters which I didn't feel I can post here as they really aren't oldhammer vintage, but because Citizen Sade mentioned C18 Citadel Were-bears I felt compelled to go out, buy one and paint him up...

At the same time I picked up a C18 box of bones - which has been one of the most fun things to paint, now on the look out for C18 coffins..

Lastly I did another JD3 Mutie- this time Brother Obee. I would call the paint job 'functional' (phot quality doesn't help), but it helps me creep towards completion of the collection.

I've also had a shot at expanding my C34 Citadel elementals collection - have painted up an air elemental and half-finished a fire. Once he's done I'll do a group shot and post it here. Not that bothered about Death and Life at the moment - but if they come up cheap at some point maybe. :)

Well done for sourcing the werebear and painting it in such short order. It took me longer to get mine undercoated :oops:

Something off with your camera settings? The reason I ask is that my werebear looks shorter and squatter.

Those sadly OOP old GW dreadnought bases are useful, aren’t they? I’ve only got a few left, but a mate recommended Renedra for similar 60 mm bases.

Sleepysod

Citizen Sade":2sb7my32 said:
Well done for sourcing the werebear and painting it in such short order. It took me longer to get mine undercoated :oops:

Something off with your camera settings? The reason I ask is that my werebear looks shorter and squatter.

Those sadly OOP old GW dreadnought bases are useful, aren’t they? I’ve only got a few left, but a mate recommended Renedra for similar 60 mm bases.

Second chance offer on an eBay auction - too reasonable to pass up. I think the elongated pictures are just my image2 settings on this site. Never quite sure what height vs length settings to use... will have another play around and make the image a bit squatter :)

Sleepysod

Swapped the size to 400 x 600 (from 400 x 650). Does that look a bit better? I’m not sure how I can view (or translate) the original sizes on iPhone/pads. If in doubt I’ve posted on twitter and that’s just uploading directly without altering the size of the shot. :roll:

No, but your Twitter photo looks normal.

I can’t often any advice on imgur, I’m afraid. I use Postimage which has a simple hotlink for forums option.

Sleepysod

swapped to 400x525 which does look better/closer to the original I think. Will have to have a go with postimage in the future.

Back