Alternatives to unit activation in 40K

symphonicpoet

I started a minor derailment in angrygrifin's showroom thread, and I didn't really want to set the thing completely in the ballast so let's move it here.

The background: I love classic Citadel miniatures. I thoroughly enjoyed much of the world-building from the RT days. I really really loved the "make it your own" attitude. But the rules? They were okay when I was fifteen, but leave a bit to be desired now. There's a lot of things that could maybe be improved, but which still contribute to the sense of fun in some way or another like the ten thousand crazed weapons and their diverse effects. But there's one thing I think really can just be chucked in the bin with no loss: the unit activation. The classic "I go, you go" system can leave one side rather disengaged for quite a long time, especially in slower games with lots of units. And it can seem a bit capricious, since so much depends so heavily on who wins the initiative roll.

But there are other ways to do it. Here's a few I've found and, to differing extents, used with the citizens of my far away space frontier. I feel like there's a few different common ones and one or two that are more novel.

Quite a lot of games have players activating units in alternation: I move a squad, you move a squad, and so forth until all squads have moved. Stargrunt II works something like that, as I recall. And it's pretty common in historicals. In the simplest version it's typical that the player with the most units moves first. This is a bit arbitrary, but it works all right and makes for decent engagement, since no player is usually waiting that long to do something. It can be paired with simultaneous fire, where everybody attacks, but the damage doesn't take effect until the end of the turn, though that's not strictly necessary. One good exception might be for units who are placed on overwatch, where they fire during a movement phase (sacrificing their own movement to do so.) In that case, the damage might take place immediately leaving the affected unit no chance to respond.

Alternately, you might have some kind of initiative system where units with a higher initiative are able to act first, or hold their action to see what the opponent will do. This is a bit more like the role playing game solution to combat, but maybe by squad rather than character. In this kind of system damage generally wouldn't be simultaneous, so holding an action is a risk. (Though that's not quite universal. It depends on how important position is. Red Sun Blue Sky, a WWII aerial combat game, has movement like this since positioning is so critical, but damage is still simultaneous. In this case higher initiative aircraft always move later so as to better position themselves relative to the unfortunate early movers.)

I'd say those two are the most common systems. More common, even, than GW's. But there are a few novel alternatives that have popped up in newer games.

Bolt Action, a WWII skirmish game, uses a kind of radomoized activation where a number of visually distinct, but otherwise identical tokens equal to all the units in the game, plus one special "joker" are placed in a bag or cup and drawn blind. The tokens correspond to the various players, save for the joker. When a player's token is drawn that player can activate a unit of their choice. Fire is most generally not simultaneous in this kind of game, allowing early units to do damage before their enemies can respond. The "joker" ends the turn, and any units which have so far not moved are then unable to do so, giving players a strong incentive to take care of important actions early, as it becomes more and more likely the turn will end the more units have activated. It can sound a bit random at first, but it works out rather nicely.

Another variation on this is a card driven mechanic where each player is simply dealt a series of "initiatives" to use as they please, and everyone uses what's in their hand until all cards have been played. The "Fistful" series from Wiley Games works like this. The Ace of Spades goes first and then you simply go through cards in order. Your hand size corresponds to the number of units that you have, again giving something of an advantage to the larger force. (You're more likely to draw a high card if you have six units than if you have one.)

Lastly, Pulp Alley uses a quite novel approach where you get the initiative by accomplishing objectives or winning fights of different sorts and retain it until such time as an opposing player successfully does something equally impressive. And the player with the initiative simply decides what player goes next based on their reading of the situation. You really need to get to that guard tower before the other guy? You go first. You want the opportunity to ambush them? Make them go first. Damage isn't precisely simultaneous in Pulp Alley, but it's a heroic skirmish sort of operation, and almost no attack is without risk since your target always gets to respond somehow. (And that part is simultaneous.) You can pick a target that can't shoot back, but if they are able to shoot back there's not really any way to stop them from doing so. It's a remarkably novel system and for small action movie style skirmishes I really quite like it.

Anyway, all of these can probably be paired with GW systems to give a game a surprisingly GW feel, while fixing some of those I go you go frustrations. I've used the Bolt Action style activation draw to good effect and I quite like it with GW games. You can make things a bit more "crunchy" with things like suppressing fire affecting movement. Or you can make them more cinematic with heroes who can ignore movement penalties and psychological effects. Lots of good options out there.

I agree, I also don't like 40k rules any more. Strangely, at the same time I still love WFB 3e, which does have an IGOYOUGO activation.

The SiFi rule set I like most is Stargrunt II, which you mentioned. I even wrote a (well, copy/pasted mostly) a Warfork 40,000 - Rogue Confrontation clone based on the Stargrunt II system and Confrontation/Necormunda gangs/equipment/campaign rules. Stargrunt uses d4, d6, d8, d10 and d12. For my clone I mapped the 40k stats to dice types:

1​
2​
3​
4​
5​
6​
7​
8​
9​
10​
d2​
d4​
d6​
d8​
d10​
d12​
d14​
d16​
d18​
d20​

The activation system is mostly that from Stargrunt II;
  • players must activate a character after their opponent activated one of his
  • only if a player has fewer unactivated characters than his opponent, he may elect to pass, forcing the opponent to immediately activate another character
  • the player with more characters therefore always activates the last character in a turn
What I added based on the above shown characteristics conversion:

The first activation each turn is determined by an opposed roll. Each gang involved determines the character with the highest Prestige still in the Confrontation. Usually this will be the gang leader, but if he falls casualty it will be the next in line. This character's INT dice is rolled, the order of activating this turn is in descending order of results. As tie breakers, use in order the higher LEA value and then the higher Prestige value.

Just to provide you even more alternatives to choose from :)

jon_1066

To The Strongest uses cards to activate but there are two wrinkles to it that elevate it somewhat. You can activate a unit multiple times but have to beat the card you previously used to activate that unit. If you fail your turn ends and it passes to your opponent.

Another activation mechanic is found in Blucher. Your opponent rolls 3 dice and keeps them hidden from you. You activate units until your opponent tells you that you have run out pips.

EricF

Administrator
Retro Raygun from Hydra Miniatures (my goto for some retro sci-fi action) has a token based system a bit like the card based ones mentioned (in fact you can use cards if you don't have tokens). You roll off for initiative each turn, then place numbered tokens face down next to all your units. The player who won the initiative roll activates their unit with the number 1 token, followed by the other player's number 1, and so on counting up until there are no units left. Some actions can remove a token from a unit before it gets the chance to activate.

That all said I do quite like the blind bag draw aspect to bolt-action based systems

Whilst I've never played it I've briefly read through my copy of Fantasy Warlord (Chalk and Bailey in 1990) and that seems to have a simultaneous action sequence. It's not 100% clear quite how movement works from a skim, but things like casualties are only taken into account at the end of a turn - so wiping out half of an enemy unit of archers doesn't stop them all firing back and wiping out some of you who wiped out them, if that makes sense :) Anyhow looks interesting and I'm sure makes sense when playing. Anyone played that?

symphonicpoet

I agree, I also don't like 40k rules any more. Strangely, at the same time I still love WFB 3e, which does have an IGOYOUGO activation.

The SiFi rule set I like most is Stargrunt II, which you mentioned. I even wrote a (well, copy/pasted mostly) a Warfork 40,000 - Rogue Confrontation clone based on the Stargrunt II system and Confrontation/Necormunda gangs/equipment/campaign rules. Stargrunt uses d4, d6, d8, d10 and d12. For my clone I mapped the 40k stats to dice types:

d2d4d6d8d10d12d14d16d18d20

The activation system is mostly that from Stargrunt II;
  • players must activate a character after their opponent activated one of his
  • only if a player has fewer unactivated characters than his opponent, he may elect to pass, forcing the opponent to immediately activate another character
  • the player with more characters therefore always activates the last character in a turn
What I added based on the above shown characteristics conversion:

The first activation each turn is determined by an opposed roll. Each gang involved determines the character with the highest Prestige still in the Confrontation. Usually this will be the gang leader, but if he falls casualty it will be the next in line. This character's INT dice is rolled, the order of activating this turn is in descending order of results. As tie breakers, use in order the higher LEA value and then the higher Prestige value.

Just to provide you even more alternatives to choose from :)

Mapping 40K over to Stargrunt II has always intrigued me, while simultaneously being a bit of a challenge. Some of it makes good sense: the armor saving throws map over easily enough, for most part. Small arms is a bit of a challenge, what gets you one point and what two? (I've generally gone with things like a las gun is a one point small arm and a bolter two, for instance, but I could even see bumping things up slightly, with things like simple slug throwers getting one point, las guns two, and bolters or shuriken catapults a super-heavy three.) Is Warfork 40K up on the web? I'd love to read it. It makes good sense to use some kind of mental stat to boost activation. Intelligence is a good candidate, but cool or leadership could work too. Very interesting.

To The Strongest uses cards to activate but there are two wrinkles to it that elevate it somewhat. You can activate a unit multiple times but have to beat the card you previously used to activate that unit. If you fail your turn ends and it passes to your opponent.

Another activation mechanic is found in Blucher. Your opponent rolls 3 dice and keeps them hidden from you. You activate units until your opponent tells you that you have run out pips.

Both of those are pretty novel and sound intriguing. Are you drawing the cards fresh every time you try to activate again? (Thus making it more risky to activate a unit previously activated with a middling card and very risky if you'd used a high one?)

The pips thing sounds like it's trying to answer the one theoretical objection to the blind token draw method a friend is always raising: that you could have a turn where one played doesn't get to do anything. With the pips everyone will always get to do something, but you don't really know how much. With each player activating in alternation until you run out of pips it should even help with the disengagement problem. A quite elegant solution, so long as you trust your opponent. (Always better than playing against people who take it too seriously anyway.) That sounds quite nice. I may just give that one a go in my next game.

Retro Raygun from Hydra Miniatures (my goto for some retro sci-fi action) has a token based system a bit like the card based ones mentioned (in fact you can use cards if you don't have tokens). You roll off for initiative each turn, then place numbered tokens face down next to all your units. The player who won the initiative roll activates their unit with the number 1 token, followed by the other player's number 1, and so on counting up until there are no units left. Some actions can remove a token from a unit before it gets the chance to activate.

That all said I do quite like the blind bag draw aspect to bolt-action based systems

Whilst I've never played it I've briefly read through my copy of Fantasy Warlord (Chalk and Bailey in 1990) and that seems to have a simultaneous action sequence. It's not 100% clear quite how movement works from a skim, but things like casualties are only taken into account at the end of a turn - so wiping out half of an enemy unit of archers doesn't stop them all firing back and wiping out some of you who wiped out them, if that makes sense :) Anyhow looks interesting and I'm sure makes sense when playing. Anyone played that?

Interesting. Maybe you could have players draw cards at random in alternation until you hit some kind of wild card that ends the turn. Draw up a hand, visible to everyone. Sometimes everything gets to go, sometimes not? (And allow a mulligan if a joker is drawn second.) And assign activations once all cards are drawn? Hmm. Quite interesting.

jon_1066

Both of those are pretty novel and sound intriguing. Are you drawing the cards fresh every time you try to activate again? (Thus making it more risky to activate a unit previously activated with a middling card and very risky if you'd used a high one?)

The pips thing sounds like it's trying to answer the one theoretical objection to the blind token draw method a friend is always raising: that you could have a turn where one played doesn't get to do anything. With the pips everyone will always get to do something, but you don't really know how much. With each player activating in alternation until you run out of pips it should even help with the disengagement problem. A quite elegant solution, so long as you trust your opponent. (Always better than playing against people who take it too seriously anyway.) That sounds quite nice. I may just give that one a go in my next game.

You draw one card to activate a unit and leave it face up next to it. If you want to activate it again you draw another card so - yes a high card is good in that you will definitely be able to go but bad in that you almost certainly won't be able to go again with that unit.

With the dice you have to show them at the end so does have a check on it.

ManicMan

card system isn't but reminds me of Battle Masters where you have a card deck with images of the various units and you turn the card to see what unit gets to go, which can mean one side moves alot before the other but.. it's a bit random

symphonicpoet

^That's the risk to the Bolt Action random draw too, with the added benefit that there's no guarantee one side will ever get to do anything at all. (Since the turn could end first.) Which is why I think the pips might actually be better, while achieving some of the same results. Not everyone gets to go, thanks to the vagaries of a battle, but you'll always get to do something. I like the chaos of the random draw, but in reality sides are trained and shouldn't generally be completely shut down.

Maybe you could combine the idea of the pips with something like the SGII small arms mechanic. The number of activations you get is a die roll based on the cumulative experience of your units. Completely untrained improvised units, like a mob, might get a quarter point. Green units a half point, regulars a point, veterans two, and really elite units might even get three or something like that. Add together your units and that's the die you get to roll. Two elite units would get a die six, so the chances are good they'll both always get to do something, but every once in a while they could get caught flat footed. Two regular units would get a die two, so it'd be a coin toss whether they both get to do something or not. Fractional results could work too. Two mobs would have a half point between them, so there's maybe a 50% chance you could use one of them in a given turn. (Which would be a nice way to deal with NPC civilians who happen to be in the line of fire in a more story driven RPG style game. Though you could maybe allow units to run away without an activation. Or even require it if they've failed a morale roll badly enough.)

Maybe the command card mechanism from Too Fat Lardies’ Sharp Practice 2 (SP2) could be used to soften the blow in systems where turns can end without units activating?

In SP2, each side has four of these cards (or chits) normally. They’re added to the deck or bag and can be used in various ways when drawn. One use is to activate units that haven’t already had a go when the turn ends. Each allows one unit to go.

symphonicpoet

^Interesting idea! What a Tanker is theirs, isn't it? I played that virtually during plague. Need to give it another go in person with some friends. (I really need to give "I Ain't Been Shot Mum" a go. I've heard good things about it.)

Back