RT races junked in development

Tubehead

I was reading over this ancient thread:
Space Slann...where are they now?
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4872
And it made me wonder a few things...
First, Diesel Monkey's observation that the RT Slaan concept came about due to developers "just transposing fantasy races into the future with no real direction or plan" struck me as surely being correct. That was certainly the core initiating concept of 40K.
This means that at some point the artists & designers must have been throwing out ideas from the list of WFB races just to see what could be fleshed out into substantial "space-version" concepts that had some degree of potential. Many of these would have been rejected, and so somewhere someone might have some drawings or at least some info on the rejects (such as a race of black Space Pygmies for example, or perhaps Space Skaven or Gnomes).
Also, I have to think at some point one of their brilliant artists must have directed their imagination outside of the box of transposition from fantasy and tried to come up with some ideas (or perhaps even designs) for more original SF style races.
In the RT rulebook in the scenarios section, there are hints about this that have always made me wonder. One is a reference to "a green slimy thing with a big gun crawling into the bushes"... This is admittedly most likely something just tossed out for the sake of cultivating atmosphere in a scenario about being trapped on an alien world, but when I was younger, in my naivete I used to wonder what race it was supposed to be or perhaps a race GW had planned that would be released sometime. (I know, I know; keep in mind I was 13 in 1987! :lol: )
What inside info do we have on what might have been but wasn't as far as conceived though ultimately unrealized 40K SF races?

Tubehead":2ix8zzhx said:
First, Diesel Monkey's observation that the RT Slaan concept came about due to developers "just transposing fantasy races into the future with no real direction or plan" struck me as surely being correct.

It was definitely correct, I was working at GW during the RT era! :lol: I think the scope for new races was fairly limited though, mainly the project was 'we're pushing WFB into Sci-Fi, do something with that', so the obvious push was races within the existing canon, with a few exceptions.

There were things like the Piscean warrior, which was really just a transposition of the Sahuagin from D&D (it was even listed as 'Saharduin' on the base tab IIRC), and so was probably not continued to avoid any TSR issues. The Devastators were another distinctly new race though I think they were a prototype for the tyranids that didn't get chosen in the end, but still got cast and released.

There must have been plenty of odd things sculpted that never made it to the casting process. Obviously most people wouldn't see them, but I do remember a weird tentacled sculpt with half a dozen guns sat on someone's desk for ages, but that could have just been a joke sculpt rather than a serious potential range.

Tubehead

dieselmonkey":3g7vjptb said:
The Devastators were another distinctly new race though I think they were a prototype for the tyranids that didn't get chosen in the end, but still got cast and released.

Hmm...! Surely this isn't the thing I'm thinking of; is there a pic someplace?

dieselmonkey":3g7vjptb said:
I do remember a weird tentacled sculpt with half a dozen guns sat on someone's desk for ages, but that could have just been a joke sculpt rather than a serious potential range.

Yes, I think every miniatures sculptor has at least one forgotten ball of tentacles with guns languishing somewhere in their house. :lol:

Tubehead

Now I see where the idea to lump Zoats in with the other Tyranid races came from in the fluff. The relationship would have been much more directly obvious with Dominators.
It always read like it was something just tacked on before, but the Dominator design plainly shows the one as a natural outgrowth of the other stylistically.
A kind of 'missing link'!

Tubehead":h6zrqqzv said:
"just transposing fantasy races into the future with no real direction or plan"

Actually, I did just want to clarify this a little. Obviously there was a direction and overarching 'theme' for RT and the core races, it was more that the sculptors were given the chance to sculpt other models to their own designs, basically just to throw ideas at the wall and seeing what sticks.

Didn't want to imply it was even more chaotic than it actually was! :lol:

Tubehead

dieselmonkey":1o9bhhji said:
Tubehead":1o9bhhji said:
"just transposing fantasy races into the future with no real direction or plan"

Actually, I did just want to clarify this a little. Obviously there was a direction and overarching 'theme' for RT and the core races, it was more that the sculptors were given the chance to sculpt other models to their own designs, basically just to throw ideas at the wall and seeing what sticks.

Didn't want to imply it was even more chaotic than it actually was! :lol:

Even though you said what you said, somehow I knew exactly what you meant! Free reign to design while exploring some agreed-upon new ground with the possibility of reworking existing figs being a plus.
Here is a very interesting Rick Priestley quote I found today on the Realm of Chaos 80's blog. It explains what was so unique about the art development culture inside GW at the time:
jQd9bwK.png

Back