Confrontation Bounty Hunter/Blood Axe Human Advisor

cheetor

I decided to paint this old figure as a human advisor for my orks. They may not really look terribly Blood Axe-y, but the opportunity to paint a human that hangs around with ork nobs was too much fun to ignore. It was also a good way to get some old lead painted.

bloodaxehumanadvisor1.jpg
bloodaxehumanadvisor5.jpg

Note the snotling.

bloodaxehumanadvisor7.jpg

bloodaxehumanadvisor8.jpg

bloodaxehumanadvisor6.jpg

There are more images and some background in the associated blog post. I enjoyed painting this daft old figure. Check out the shorts. :shock: :lol:

Orjetax

I like it!

The "human advisor" is an underutilized aspect of the old rules and fluff. I'm fact, this is probably the only model I've seen painted with that advisor role specifically in mind.

Very tasty painting indeed-I also like the humie advisor idea and also a Commisar with Space Dwarfs (not a Commisar with Squats hehe)

cheetor

Orjetax":162trgw0 said:
The "human advisor" is an underutilized aspect of the old rules and fluff. I'm fact, this is probably the only model I've seen painted with that advisor role specifically in mind.

Now that you mention it I dont remember seeing another either.

I like the idea of a slightly more interactive 40K universe, where some humans do have dealings with orks etc. Its makes gaming narratives much more fun. The army list system discouraged that sort of thing for years, but 6th ed has moved a bnit towards the notion of allies and the like again. Regardless of how that is used in the tournament scene (which holds no interest for me) as a concept its one that opens narrative doors, which has to be a good thing.

I like to imagine my toy soldiers hanging out on the fringes of Imperial space, where compromises and alliances unthinkinkable in many sectors are commonplace. Like in Dan Abnetts Inquisitor books.

manic _miner":162trgw0 said:
Great painting on this piece.Love the hair and glasses.

Thanks Andy! (manic_miner is Four A Miniatures Andy C, ist he? I have a Four A figure for my RT stuff on the painting table at the moment, should be finished in the next week or so).

The hair is that colour to tie the figure to the ork palette. It worked out decently enough. The glasses are cheesy, daft and fun (as is the figure really). They make the character look like a villain from a cheap Rutger Hauer movie from ~1990. Which is ideal really I suppose.

Count Von Bruno":162trgw0 said:
Very tasty painting indeed-I also like the humie advisor idea and also a Commisar with Space Dwarfs (not a Commisar with Squats hehe)

You mean like this?

squatcommissaradvisor.jpg

commissaradvisor.jpg

Fish-out-of-water characters are always fun to game with and to come up with entertaining stories about. There isnt a buddy cop movie out there that wouldnt be improved if one of the protagonists was an ork or a squat or Cthellean Cudbear.

He came out great! The Mantic Orx arms are a really nice fit.

Love the hair squig ;)

Now of course you will paint 9 more henchmen to go with him because a) you have looked at that illustration from 'Ere We Go and b) you are such a pedant that you won't be able to help yourself :lol: .

cheetor

theottovonbismark":3rte6t6b said:
Now of course you will paint 9 more henchmen to go with him because a) you have looked at that illustration from 'Ere We Go and b) you are such a pedant that you won't be able to help yourself :lol: .

There is truth in that and it seems a shame to just leave him all alone...

I have some post-apoc stuff that was planning to paint as Diggas/Necromunda/MC1 Undercity types that would look good with that guy, but I want to paint them in a different scheme. But a bunch of plastic Orlocks with metal heavies would fit well well as Blood Axe human adventurers with that guy, right?

Hell yeah! I hope you have the Orlock Heavy bolter guy, what is a classic. I think he is the first Citadel model to have the bolter slung low, also I am sure I have some metal Orlocks I can spare you. The plastic ones are a little meh by comparison - better to use them either en masse or sparingly in my book, a couple of duplicates of a plastic one will just drag down the tone of the nice metal models. You may as well keep close to the bigdogz colour scheme on them, perhaps with another primary colour accent like a yellow?

cheetor

theottovonbismark":3rhcaq0s said:
I keep thinking of Bono when I see this guy :lol:

Guffaw!

I cant unsee it now that I have seen it! He is Bono for better or for worse now.

Im definitely in for a couple of metal Orlocks if you have them, you legend :) I have the plastics, the heavy stubber and the heavy bolter IIRC. The HB is a classic figure alright. Any further Orlocks you have to bring them up to scratch would rock.

axiom

Great use of the figure. I have press-ganged him into my bratt gang myself, but he looks perfectly at home among those greenies!

cheetor

axiom":29bvmgae said:
Great use of the figure. I have press-ganged him into my bratt gang myself, but he looks perfectly at home among those greenies!

I almost bought a Brat gang from mail order very many times, but this not-quite-Brat was as far as I got. They always had an appeal to me.

I was digging through my Orlocks last night . I thinknthat I will paint a few of them up as Blood Axe human mercs/adventurers (and obviously just as useful as gang types for Necromunda/Judge Dredd etc). Kim Jong Bono can be their officer.

cheetor

phreedh":36wxe7q2 said:
Nice one Paul! The paintjob on the glasses is very effective!

Thanks Mattias!

I had been planning to use the model as part of my slowly growing Imperial Court - maybe as a high ranking bodyguard or security type. Adding the figure to my orks turned out to be a more fun use for a guy with such an ostentatious hairdo.

I find painting wraparound shades much less intuitive to paint than a pair of lenses. Its to do with the curve. So I cheated by adding a big, cheesy, comic-book vaguely Dredd-esque shine pattern instead. It worked adequately enough. Im glad that you like it :)

Suber

Oh, I never dared to use a human advisor, though I would have loved to do so! You have done such a great work there, now I need to get one for myself!

cheetor

Suber":2xm5ywn4 said:
Oh, I never dared to use a human advisor, though I would have loved to do so! You have done such a great work there, now I need to get one for myself!

Similarly, the advisor is looking a bit lonely now though, so I am going to have to get him his own squad of minions.

Back