Runt battle?

Everything related to Bring Out Your Lead 2020, at Wargames Foundry in Nottingham

Moderator: Moderators

Post Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:00 pm

Runt battle?

Has there ever been a battle at BOYL between the little guys?

I would like to see a largish battle between Halflings and Gnomes vs Goblins/lesser goblins.

Just an idea.... ;)

Post Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:00 pm

Re: Runt battle?

I'll pledge my army of gnomes to this battle!
My oldhammer blog: Where the sea pours out

Post Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:34 am

It just so happens I am painting halflings... I ran dwarfs vs snotlings at this year's BOYL. I think the snotty dudes need to pick on someone even smaller!

Post Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:47 pm

lenihan wrote:I'll pledge my army of gnomes to this battle!

Cool, how much do you have? Any pics?

Post Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:47 pm

Fimm McCool wrote:It just so happens I am painting halflings... I ran dwarfs vs snotlings at this year's BOYL. I think the snotty dudes need to pick on someone even smaller!

Which day was that on?

Post Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:58 am

Ah, ok i was playing Orc's Drift at the time.

Post Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:41 pm

Further to my suggestion for this game i have been working on some Halflings and Gnomes.

What i was thinking of was:

The small settlement is to the South-East of the Moot situated between The Greenleaf Hills and the Worlds Edge Mountains.

The town has a somewhat unique arrangement where for most of the year there is a small group of Gnomes living within the largely Halfling population but come winter time the Gnome population swells as a travelling Gnomish circus menagerie rests out the harsh weather.

A goblin Shaman has convinced his upstart goblin lord that raiding the settlement for slaves (and to steal their mushrooms) would help strengthen his somewhat poor reputation amongst other goblinoid bands in the area (Goblin warlords are not held in great esteem by their Orc and Black Orc counterparts).

All ridden monsters (both sides) will use the lowest profile line from the 3rd ed book (they are small examples of their kind but still a handful for these smaller creatures.

The Goblin force cannot contain Hobgoblins, Orcs or Black Orcs.

Any type of Goblin is fine as well as lesser goblins (2nd ed profile) AND Snotlings.

Post Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:24 pm

Taken with the idea 8-) , but as we're only looking at those of a diminutive stature - could we include pygmies as well :D , for those of us with one or two of the charming fellows? Especially if, someone was to come-up with a sample of Tony's artillery piece! :lol:

Also, could you clarify what do you mean by Goblins - common, night, red, great or gnolls? (I'm sure, Mark Hides might even be tempted to come out of the woodwork for this one, with a little bit of bait!) Would you be putting any limitation on the goblin players given their access to various nasty pieces of equipment and when over the weekend would you want to play this gig - a morning, an afternoon a day or the entire weekend?

I know, lots of questions, but I'd prefer to ask now, than too late in the day.

Paul/ Golgfag1
How can I ever have enough stuff, I don't need.

https://golgfags.blogspot.co.uk/

Post Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:47 pm

Hi Paul,

Saturday for as long as it takes.

I think any type of goblin that is smaller than an Orc or old school Hobgoblin.

With regard to Half Orcs, i'm not sure whether we should have them "as-is" or have Elite Goblins with the Half Orc profile.

As it would be an all Goblin army perhaps we should allow the elites mechanism from the 3rd ed book-ie goblins with +1 to +4 elite upgrades as these are usually substituted for things like Black Orcs in the normal O+G lists (possibly +1 and +2 would keep it more under control).

I'm open to debate about things like Treemen, Giants and Aracnorock spiders although my initial thought is not to have them at all and keep it more focused on the small guys.

As a substitute for Treemen i think if the goodies need more troops perhaps some Dryads or Treekin might be more manageable.
Last edited by jprp on Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Next

Return to Bring Out Your Lead 2020