Runt battle?

jprp

Has there ever been a battle at BOYL between the little guys?

I would like to see a largish battle between Halflings and Gnomes vs Goblins/lesser goblins.

Just an idea.... ;)

Fimm McCool

It just so happens I am painting halflings... I ran dwarfs vs snotlings at this year's BOYL. I think the snotty dudes need to pick on someone even smaller!

jprp

Fimm McCool":1bbsu3z7 said:
It just so happens I am painting halflings... I ran dwarfs vs snotlings at this year's BOYL. I think the snotty dudes need to pick on someone even smaller!

Which day was that on?

Fimm McCool

Saturday afternoon.

67902854_10162051848205635_8546981852433350656_n.jpg

jprp

Further to my suggestion for this game i have been working on some Halflings and Gnomes.

What i was thinking of was:

The small settlement is to the South-East of the Moot situated between The Greenleaf Hills and the Worlds Edge Mountains.

The town has a somewhat unique arrangement where for most of the year there is a small group of Gnomes living within the largely Halfling population but come winter time the Gnome population swells as a travelling Gnomish circus menagerie rests out the harsh weather.

A goblin Shaman has convinced his upstart goblin lord that raiding the settlement for slaves (and to steal their mushrooms) would help strengthen his somewhat poor reputation amongst other goblinoid bands in the area (Goblin warlords are not held in great esteem by their Orc and Black Orc counterparts).

All ridden monsters (both sides) will use the lowest profile line from the 3rd ed book (they are small examples of their kind but still a handful for these smaller creatures.

The Goblin force cannot contain Hobgoblins, Orcs or Black Orcs.

Any type of Goblin is fine as well as lesser goblins (2nd ed profile) AND Snotlings.

Golgfag1

Taken with the idea 8-) , but as we're only looking at those of a diminutive stature - could we include pygmies as well :grin: , for those of us with one or two of the charming fellows? Especially if, someone was to come-up with a sample of Tony's artillery piece! :lol:

Also, could you clarify what do you mean by Goblins - common, night, red, great or gnolls? (I'm sure, Mark Hides might even be tempted to come out of the woodwork for this one, with a little bit of bait!) Would you be putting any limitation on the goblin players given their access to various nasty pieces of equipment and when over the weekend would you want to play this gig - a morning, an afternoon a day or the entire weekend?

I know, lots of questions, but I'd prefer to ask now, than too late in the day.

Paul/ Golgfag1

jprp

Hi Paul,

Saturday for as long as it takes.

I think any type of goblin that is smaller than an Orc or old school Hobgoblin.

With regard to Half Orcs, i'm not sure whether we should have them "as-is" or have Elite Goblins with the Half Orc profile.

As it would be an all Goblin army perhaps we should allow the elites mechanism from the 3rd ed book-ie goblins with +1 to +4 elite upgrades as these are usually substituted for things like Black Orcs in the normal O+G lists (possibly +1 and +2 would keep it more under control).

I'm open to debate about things like Treemen, Giants and Aracnorock spiders although my initial thought is not to have them at all and keep it more focused on the small guys.

As a substitute for Treemen i think if the goodies need more troops perhaps some Dryads or Treekin might be more manageable.

jprp

OOps, Pygmies, well i think they could easily be incorporated as part of the Gnome faction having attached themselves to the travellers at some point during their touring.

Golgfag1

Thanks for the response John,

The scenario sound fun 8-) , and the elite thing works well - for balancing out the differences in numbers available to each side, I'd 'run with it'; as for the larger stuff - don't, keep it small. I know the big stuff looks great and fun, but this is a game for the little people and they don't often get a run out on their own, with all their toys and pets (snotling pump wagons, chariots, Gnomes steam cannon, squigs, ponys and wolves etc).

As for size of game, what are you thinking - numbers wise? I know lots of questions, but I'm considering what I'm doing over the rest of the weekend, as an day Saturday is a pretty big commitment for anybody attending the weekend, this early in the run up.

Paul / Golgfag1

jprp":33v5grdt said:
Hi Paul,

Saturday for as long as it takes.

I think any type of goblin that is smaller than an Orc or old school Hobgoblin.

With regard to Half Orcs, i'm not sure whether we should have them "as-is" or have Elite Goblins with the Half Orc profile.

As it would be an all Goblin army perhaps we should allow the elites mechanism from the 3rd ed book-ie goblins with +1 to +4 elite upgrades as these are usually substituted for things like Black Orcs in the normal O+G lists (possibly +1 and +2 would keep it more under control).

I'm open to debate about things like Treemen, Giants and Aracnorock spiders although my initial thought is not to have them at all and keep it more focused on the small guys.

As a substitute for Treemen i think if the goodies need more troops perhaps some Dryads or Treekin might be more manageable.

jprp

Numbers depends on interest, i honestly don't care at this point if it's 2 people per side or ends up on a 12 foot table.

I intend to be on the good guy side as that is what i'm painting at the moment but i have loads of goblins i can bring if the bad guys are looking thin on the ground.

For now we will say no Trolls, Ogres, Giants etc - everyone has to be under 6 foot tall other than mounts, and any ridden monster will be the weakest of it's type in the book.

I know it's early but anyone else interested please speak up and give us an idea of what magnitude of forces you would like to bring.

I will attempt to put up some pictures of my force (so far) over the weekend to give some idea of where i am coming from with this. :grin:

Outsider

I'm not sure I'll be at BOYL but this definitely sounds like fun; perfect thing to take my halflings out to contribute a few units to the field. I think aiming at a 500 pts to 1000 pts from Warhammer Armies 3rd would be a good median level of forces per person, though this of course depends a lot on what's being done and what people have.

I'm likely to have expanded a little more from this pic but at the moment this is what I would bring which is just scraping 500 pts.

5RhnQfd.png

jprp

My force will bear little resemblance to any published list.

I'm more interested in getting a rough idea of numbers and troop types than an exact point count as we can re-cycle troops or bring additional spare forces to bolster any huge imbalance.

I don't mind if one player has 10 guys and another hundreds as there will only be two sides and those who have smaller forces can help out the larger forces with movement etc and all players on each side should be playing cooperatively.

Golgfag1

Wonderful stuff John, just love the idea of attack geese, genius.

I've a few wolf riders and chariots which may add a little mayhem!

Paul / Golgfag1

Attachments

• 122_2344 (2).JPG
    122_2344 (2).JPG
    657.9 KB · Views: 1,456
Back