Golgfag1's preparation for BOYL 2020

Golgfag1

I left BOYL this year with no particular plan of action for next year, so have found myself looking through my boxes looking for some thing to do and found these, they've not been out of their box in years. I painted them about twenty years ago so their a bit chipped and worn around the edges but I'm still please with how they look, so enjoy my previous endeavours, whilst I contemplate taking their compatriots out of their box and daubing a bit of paint, whilst I consider my option for next year.

Hope you like them?

Paul/Golgfag1

Attachments

• 1st squad.jpg
    1st squad.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 3,997
  • tech & two marines.jpg
    tech & two marines.jpg
    350.4 KB · Views: 3,997
  • heavy weapons.jpg
    heavy weapons.jpg
    353.1 KB · Views: 3,996
  • marines & squad leader.jpg
    marines & squad leader.jpg
    320.2 KB · Views: 3,996
  • captain.jpg
    captain.jpg
    324.3 KB · Views: 3,997

Golgfag1

More pictures of my Space Marines, this time the heavy hitters - dreadnoughts & the light stuff - speeders again, painted twenty plus years ago so a touch battered and worn.

Hope you like

Paul/Golgfag1

Attachments

• dreadnoughts.jpg
    dreadnoughts.jpg
    298.3 KB · Views: 3,972
  • lofty.jpg
    lofty.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 3,971
  • melta.jpg
    melta.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 3,971
  • stunie.jpg
    stunie.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 3,972
  • speeders2.jpg
    speeders2.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 3,969

Scalene

Like the way you are getting straight back into preparation. The flight of land speeders looks good - how have you stopped themfalling apart?

Golgfag1

Scalene":twezwdu5 said:
Like the way you are getting straight back into preparation. The flight of land speeders looks good - how have you stopped them falling apart?

Thanks for the response, I always try to start preparation early (Taking small bites of the elephant) that way I've got at least a chance of getting stuff done in time, I can't leave it to the last minute like Steve / Thantsants I'd be too stressed!

As for the speeders holding together - just lots of glue, pins and varnish, they still break on a fairly regular basis and I just stick em back and re-varnish. 8-)

Next up 2nd squad, again a bit chipped and worn around the edges but still looking pretty good in my book.

Enjoy

Paul / Golgfag1

Attachments

• 2nd squard.jpg
    2nd squard.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 3,930
  • 2nd squad A.jpg
    2nd squad A.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 3,930
  • 2nd squad B.jpg
    2nd squad B.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 3,930
  • 2nd squad C.jpg
    2nd squad C.jpg
    314 KB · Views: 3,930

dazza36

Great lot of classic marines.

I love your choice of bright colours, the dreadnoughts are just insane. The marine without helmet in first picture immediately made me think of Frank Sidebottom I think it was the giant red lips :grin: . So what else do you have in store for us ?

Golgfag1

dazza36":3v2ncp4z said:
Great lot of classic marines.

I love your choice of bright colours, the dreadnoughts are just insane. The marine without helmet in first picture immediately made me think of Frank Sidebottom I think it was the giant red lips :grin: . So what else do you have in store for us ?

The colour choices were of their time, why would you camouflage Space marines, their there to impose the Emperor's will, thus be a statement of that will in look, deed and word.
I've taken the to do box out of the attic and look through I've four more terminators to finish, another two squads of marines, three speeders, two dreadnoughts and a couple of robots, that should be enough to keep me going, until I settle on a general progression toward BOYL2020.

Thanks for the comments

Paul / Golgfag1

Attachments

• terminators.jpg
    terminators.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 3,889
  • To do box.jpg
    To do box.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 3,889

Sleepysod

Loving the dreads and speeders (agree they are a pain to stick together)

As for camo, I think there is space for both in the RT universe - the illustration of camo clad ultras waiting to ambush some orks from a rocky vantage point, Aly Morrison’s blood angel captain in the brown and yellow camo and then that fantastic page in white dwarf which shows the various colour schemes used in lugft hurons rebellion.

And also a big fan of bright reds and blues of the early years, I draw a line at yellow (looking at you imperial fists!)

Golgfag1

Well, there's a turn up for the books I took my 40k stuff out out of the attic and placed the first batch on to the painting table for something to do and along comes a game which requires me to paint Empire ! So, everything goes back in the box - watch this space. Paul/Golgfag1

Padre

Has a date for 2020 been set yet? The sooner I hear the more chance I can avoid work bookings and family holiday get-togethers getting in the way, as for the last few years. In fact ever since the first one!

Yes, there was a sign up during this year’s BOYL. Friday July 31st to Sunday August 2nd and I understand Deincourt rooms are going fast.

Golgfag1

Padre":1d7g0vn5 said:
Has a date for 2020 been set yet? The sooner I hear the more chance I can avoid work bookings and family holiday get-togethers getting in the way, as for the last few years. In fact ever since the first one!

Yes, it has here's Paul's photo of the dates

Hope to see you there

Paul / Golgfag1

Attachments

• 67654495_2431116827120518_5996111470083964928_n.jpg
    67654495_2431116827120518_5996111470083964928_n.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 2,214

Golgfag1

As it's currently raining here - here's a photo of the worktable, with current work in progress - Squigs!
Enjoy
Paul/ Golgfag1

Harry, I know the banner you saw in April (top-right of the picture) still hasn't made it to a standard bearer yet!

Attachments

• table1.JPG
    table1.JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 2,123
  • squigs.JPG
    squigs.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 2,123

symphonicpoet

^I confess, I am really impressed that you manage to plan this stuff that far out in advance. Me, I just need to plan how to get stuff there next time. Anyway . . . looking forward to it! Hard to argue with a bunch of beakies and the old pantaloon marines are especially nice.

Golgfag1

Nothing to do with BOYL, here's what's currently passed over the painting table in the last few days - Knights ( I know still abit of work to do, but their getting there, OK) with a scattering of infantry in the background!

Paul / Golgfag1

Attachments

• knights1.png
    knights1.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 1,824

Padre

Who is that grinning feller crouching behind the table looking at the figures' rears from a model's-eye point of view?

PS: 'Loverly' paint-job on those figurines.

Golgfag1

Padre":3lshctgc said:
Who is that grinning feller crouching behind the table looking at the figures' rears from a model's-eye point of view?

PS: 'Loverly' paint-job on those figurines.

A photo of one of my older brothers, sadly no longer with us, but fondly remembered.

Thanks for the kind comment

Paul/Golgfag1

Sleepysod

I've got a shed load of those ex-Citadel cavalry in a half painted state as well - but your paint job there is quite inspiring. Might have to fish them out and finish them.

Golgfag1

Sleepysod":2yw2m8um said:
I've got a shed load of those ex-Citadel cavalry in a half painted state as well - but your paint job there is quite inspiring. Might have to fish them out and finish them.

Thanks for the kind comment, I have to be honest - it's a fairly basic paint job with just dabs of colour to enhance the overall look, my terrible photos also help hide the fact just how basic the painting is. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Paul/Golgfag1

Back