What is Oldhammer?

Ratlike

Hello!
I'm new and I was wondering what is considered "Oldhammer", what is the cut-off point? Especially with 40k. Is it before 2nd edition?

Orjetax

Enough people consider 2nd ed 40k sufficiently Oldhammer that there’s no trouble here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Padre

Me. I am Oldhammer. I was doing it in 1983 with (mostly) Prince August self-moulded armies, and I'm doing in now with anything I like. To paraphrase the Blue Lady in Dougal and the Blue Cat, "Oldhammer is beautiful, Oldhammer is best. I'm Oldhammer, I'm beautiful, I'm best!"

Next question.

PS: (Edit) I'm Spartacus too, in case you were wondering. I'm in a loincloth right now.

Padre

Oh, and if you need more proof than the above astounding argument, I still paint in Humbrol enamels.

(edit) Ok, I take it back. I played 1st to 3rd, then stuck with third through to 6th, for obvious reasons. So there are holes in my hammer. But that just makes it holy.

Tullaris

I am oldhammer..... back in my days, we used to play with clay miniatures.

Not even kidding, how can a 13 year old afford gw products? So I made my own:) I should probably post some pictures sometime, I still have some lying around.

Plaiecivile

Tullaris":1game2fb said:
I am oldhammer..... back in my days, we used to play with clay miniatures.

Not even kidding, how can a 13 year old afford gw products? So I made my own:) I should probably post some pictures sometime, I still have some lying around.

Wow! You just thrown me back when I was 10… 1995 was the first year I touched D&D and I remember spending hours trying to make extra equipment for my set of lead miniatures I had bought on sale… I used air riffle pellets, plyers, cutters, needles and a pyrography pen. Sadly, but for obvious reasons, nothing survived of this first summer! (except the miniatures I sadly sold) lol

Fimm McCool

My first forays into 40k were plastic army men from the toy shop with their heads cut off (with scissors) and skulls from a heroquest set glued on. The undead imperial army had many glorious defeats before I bought some space marines.

Brandocles

When she didn't mean to roll over, that's Oldhammer.

Got the 40k 2e, the fantasy fif, no low-brow, nothin' but being purposely alienating people with Fantasy. My brother hasn't talked to me in years

I am oldhammer. In 1981 I was hiding under my bed converting my starwars figures with plasticine. I thought I would get in trouble for ruining my toys! I grew up on rock music, model planes from the local toy shop and JRRTolkien. My mum got my older brother some Kev Adams wolf rider son his 9th birthday. By age 10 in 87 I was fully immersed in a rich fantasy based off 3rd ed and rogue trader all the time I wasnt doing normal stuff. Most of my buddies for most of my life have been made through warhammer. I think the only mates not related to warhammer have been those I made at Uni and in my early 20s. Even though they were normal young people I would sack off thier fun to stay in and make models! I got jobs by showing my warhammer models. I work in the industry now and just make whatever models I feel like, and people pay me for it, so Im chuffed.

All the games I have now ar ewith people who self identify as Oldhammer, more or less.

I would say oldhammer is playing old GW games mainly but with gusto. Having armies too big to field in one go, all painted, all based, themed with centre pieces galore. People who put time into their models. Nobody power-games, everyone I know who is happy to be Oldhammer plays fair and for the crack of it. There seems to be a big variation in things like gaming for narrative vs gaming using points. Im happy to play both ways, but some folk seem to get techy about points being "wrong", so yeah some dissonance. But everyone "in the scene" seems to be mature enough to accept that there are just some people you will never get on well with, and that its ok to just avoid them. Or people you get on with who just play the game in a way that is not to your taste. Very few egotistic oldhammeres.

You do get some scammers, which is unfortunate, but there can be alot of value in old models. Personally I say dont pay over the odds for old stuff, give that money to a current sculptor to make you something unique (Kev Adams and Bob Olley for example are always happy to sculpt you a model, along with younger folk like Fimm and myself).

I love oldhammer and will continue with it and the cool people I have met through it.

Back