The Beginnings of an Undead Army

dazza36

Re: Skeleton Chariot (getting my mojo back)

@Fimm : Totally agree they've most definitely stood the test of time.

Finished off the chariot and really happy with the out come. Decided to go with Longhorn as I felt his pose worked best on the back, he's also riding on the box art so if its good enough for them! Gone for a MDF base as there just so much cheaper than going for the more classical GW bases and also means I don't need to fill in the slot which is always a pain in the a$$. So here's some photos

BspoDUDK_o.jpg

StRqKE8d_o.jpg

Ixom7EIk_o.jpg

Here's a WIP of Morbius. Gone for yellow as a nice contrast from the more earthy tones on the skeletons and should hopefully complement the skin when finished. Going for lots of washes on the yellow to try and give it that rotting dug up look. Still unsure about the skull on the staff its between a real skull or metal either bronze or gold.

sY7SuMu7_o.jpg

symphonicpoet

Ooh . . . kind of a zombie/vampire problem, almost! I like your line of thinking with the rotting/dug up yellow cloak. Can't wait to see what you do with the flesh and skull when it's done.

dazza36

Based up the first 3 and have moved on to working on some plastic cavalry. Have to say these skeletons really suit the limited time I have to paint. Its just a case of base colour, then washes, then some highlights, then more washes. Each step takes mere minutes which is ideal for me! I reckon I've spent no more than twenty minutes painting these horses its the drying time that takes the time. Hope you like and hopefully nest post will have riders for them..

LbxWw7hw_o.jpg

Men0KiZq_o.jpg

Ketil Trout

Very nice indeed, looking forward to seeing the finished cavalry. Chariot is beautiful.

symphonicpoet

The first three warriors look very nice. I would love a closer look at the fellow with the flamey looking hair. Great work. This whole army will look fearsome on the table. :)

These look really good! I saw you were painting the Skeleton Horses from the chariot just as i was starting the one i had left (having long lost the other and all the crew etc). The whole chariot has turned out great. Morbius looking really good also so far. I like his skin colour you chose alot and the yellow. I would paint the skull natural/real rather than metal as it connects him better to those he commands rather than a representation of them (but just my taste - metal could be great too). Looking forward to more! and the riders on the plastic horses.

dazza36

Cheers guys really appreciated.

@symphonicpoet : The hair is just light brown although flames does sound good and reminded me straight away of Mikael Jacsen from The Terror of the Lichemaster .

Right managed to get some more painting done on the cavalry, nearly there just needs some work on the spear shafts. Main reason for post is I a got a larger photobox so i can take photos of bigger units (obviously!) So started playing around with it and thought i'd just post a photo to show the progress. Not the best photo but hopefully after some experimenting i'll get the hang of it.

LZG6dRYG_o.jpg

Once I finish these I'm planning on painting up some shields and also thinking of adding banners to each of the spears. Also finished Morbius just need to remember to take a photo of him !

dazza36

Not had much time for any painting but have managed to dig out my instant mold to start work on making some shields. I find using instant mold can be very hit and miss and generally find myself repeating the process several times before I get a decent replica. That saying managed to get 2 that are ok and have painted up as a start. I've been searching for inspiration for shield designs and these first 2 are definitely inspired by a google search which resulted in an image of the classic film Jason and the golden fleece and the brilliant Ray Harryhausen skeletons.

I5miqRZb_o.jpg

The plan is paint up most of my shields with the usual skull motif but slip in a few of these greek style just to break it up a bit

Ketil Trout

Beautiful shields, and a great choice of inspiration. Looks like the mojo is well and truly back!

symphonicpoet

^Love the shields!

(And the flame look is much more about the standing straight back than the color. Flames come in nearly all colors. Including, rather prominently, goldy yellowy flavors closely akin to "light brown." Just sayin.')

dazza36

Cheers guys always appreciated.

As usual not much time for painting but have been making small progress with some shields. I have to admit I've really struggled with painting skulls which is pretty much a must for undead shield design !! I've taken a quick photo of my latest attempts. The 2 round shields are complete but not sold on either of them, I think the Greek face could work but may need another go at it. As for the skull well that's for the bin! I was going for a very realistic skull but some where along the way it just went wrong. I added the eyes in a last desperate attempt to save it but just made it worse. That failure lead my to the 2 oval shields and a more simplistic style of skull which I'm much more happy with and will be the way forward I think.

8HVnAo9Q_o.jpg

I guess the good thing with making your own shields is there's alot less pressure on getting it right, as worse case scenario I waste some milliput and my time.

Suber

Sorry, but your "it just went wrong" and "made it worse" are far better than my best paintjobs!! :? :shock:

dazza36

Suber":2j3jto62 said:
Sorry, but your "it just went wrong" and "made it worse" are far better than my best paintjobs!! :? :shock:

Well having looked through your blog I really think your selling yourself short!

Right managed to paint up a few more, so now have a little selection . Starting to get into the flow of painting these so getting quicker. Really happy with shield with 'Repent' on as it definitely reminds me of the classic style of 'eavyMetal' designs. Would love to be able to do a more Gothic writing but beyond my skill levels ! My biggest issue is trying to get the right balance between the design and the damage on it. I want them to look old and dirty but it definitely seems to work better on some more than others.

CrMxiWEr_o.jpg

Next will be more shields and starting work on a batch of 10 plastic skeletons but not sure yet what weapons I'll use. On top of that I need to start working through my lead pile and look at moving stuff on that I will never get arounf to painting.

Ketil Trout

These look great, I particularly like the black squid on the white background. I think you have combined the images and the weathering really well on all of them, they're going to make a pretty special unit of skeletons.

symphonicpoet

^They really are fantastic. And that you have both black squid and white squid makes it even better. :) Lovely lovely stuff!

dazza36

Cheers guys glad you like them.

So here's those 10 skeletons I mentioned in my last post. Decided to go with simple hand weapons, as I have a nice bunch of nightmare legion figures soaking in Dettol for a spear unit and not quite worked out archers yet due to the body positions of the plastics. Sadly only 5 are complete with shields as I'm waiting on milliput to dry on my next batch and used some to complete the cavalry. Anyway here you go.

Ex5RiaBM_o.jpg

HXoK2lyd_o.jpg

Next up is more shields and a Skull Chukka. So stay tuned

Back