UrchinJoe's slow progress

Sleepysod

That is the nicest paint job I’ve seen on those chaos dwarfs. I prefer the individuality of these first minis rather than the later 90’s releases, although the original profiles for them in wfb 2e made them ridiculously overpowered.

dazza36

Your vibrant painting style certainly works on those dwarfs. Definitely some of the nicest looking chaos dwarfs I've seen

symphonicpoet

Oh, that's glorious! (And the stuff on the blog really drives it home.) I LOVE the purple cloaked fellow. Spot on, top to bottom. Great collection all around.

Beautiful, beautiful Chaos Dwarfs with wonderful colourschemes applied with great skill! The same goes for the green dragon and its butterfly wings!

UrchinJoe

Thanks, LilBroGrendel, symphonicpoet, dazza36 and Sleepysod! These were definitely some of the most fun minis to paint, and some of the best results I've had so far. I must pick up a paintbrush again soon!

UrchinJoe

Extremely belated thanks twisted moon and Pumpkineater! I've been mostly offline until recently and didn't realize you'd commented. I've been out of the UK for a couple of years without much time to spend on hobbies - but I now have a return date fixed on 29th May so maybe the slow progress can continue, slowly.

Here's the last of the miniatures I painted in mid-2018 - which was pretty much the last time I really painted anything, although I've dabbed on a few base-coats and assembled some old lead in that time. As usual more on my blog.

night_horrors.jpg

ghoul_right.jpg

symphonicpoet

I'd have absolutely sworn I posted something in reply to this. But . . . no time like the present. Very well done! I particularly like the flowers on the hem of the witch's cloak. And I'm glad I read the blog. I was quite wondering what was up with the green tint to her skin. Fantastic stuff!

I . . . uh . . . even the kitsune. :)

dazza36

Really love seeing your updates, you really do have a great eye when it comes to your colour choices keep it up.

UrchinJoe

Thanks everyone! There's a couple of Night Horrors ready to paint on my desk when I get home in June.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

UrchinJoe

I'm back! It's been a long couple of years, with very little time for painting, and I was based in a country where it wasn't as easy to get hold of art supplies or miniatures. But I've been home since May of last year, and I've been getting slowly back into my hobbies. So without further ado, here's a fantasy cottage, as well as loads of other terrain bits on my blog.

house-3.jpg

Caradepato

That building just oozes character. I love the flowers painted on the doorframe and the tufts on the roof- you've done a great job simulating lichens on the roof, as well.

UrchinJoe

Thanks Caradepato and symphonicpoet! Hmm I think that the flowers were supposed to suggest that someone nice lived there, but with the faintly demonic skull mounted on the wall round the back maybe there's some sinister implications that I hadn't thought through...

I'm in process of making a barn and basing a bunch more trees at the moment, and one of my friends bought me a box of modern GW walls and fences. Chipping away at those in between drawing and old lead.

EricF

Administrator
I'd have to agree with the others, the painted flowers make all the difference along with the painted wooden door. So often on models all the wood is brown and that's just so different from reality. I'm guilty of it myself and a lot of it is probably about signing to the viewer what a material is, but I think for accents like a door being a more realistic painted colour and the very human (?) touches like the decoration above the door can really make a model stand out and make it feel lived in. The yellow background also for some reason just says 'oldhammer' to me :)

symphonicpoet

UrchinJoe":75fcharx said:
Thanks Caradepato and symphonicpoet! Hmm I think that the flowers were supposed to suggest that someone nice lived there, but with the faintly demonic skull mounted on the wall round the back maybe there's some sinister implications that I hadn't thought through...

Hadn't thought it through? Or maybe you did. Business in the front, pleasure in the back. That right there . . . that's a classic story. That ends with small children baked in a pie. Lovely stuff! Doubtless intended for the education of your own offspring. ;)

UrchinJoe

symphonicpoet":3nj07slq said:
Doubtless intended for the education of your own offspring.

Unless my wife is very, very good at keeping secrets I don't need to worry about this, but there's a handful of godchildren, nephews and nieces who we're making sure get exposed to the best bits of culture. And the great Jim Henson used to say that it's unhealthy for children to never be frightened...

Sent from my SM-F916B using Tapatalk

Back