My Rogue Trader inspired art.

Discuss anything related to miniature games not covered in other forums

Moderator: Moderators

Post Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:23 pm

My Rogue Trader inspired art.

Post Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:20 am

Re: My Rogue Trader inspired art.

That's definitely fun. Very classic feel to it.

Post Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:39 pm

symphonicpoet wrote:That's definitely fun. Very classic feel to it.

Thanks. I pretty much owe my current style to fascination with works of Wil Rees, Ian Miller and Tony Hough in the Rogue Trader rulebook. Started out trying to emulate Wil Rees without looking closely enough to see how he was actually hatching in late 2009. Lately I had a period where I tried to do more technical hatching but it's not really my thing so I went to my old more expressive way, except to be clearer.

This series of drawings is called Nightmare and it goes back to 2010. It was mainly inspired by the graphics of Wil Rees and the dark, grotesque futuristic aspect of Rogue Trader. Including the original Land Raider from the rulebook, C100 marines, LE Imperial Marine, etc.

Another series inspired by Rogue Trader - but more the later period - with Space Marine 2nd edition and also by the original premise of more Lovecraftian warp and stuff was Mars 2050. It was related mainly to the WWI/lovecraftian aspect.

I started an original-art-only Tumblr blog for all that stuff.

Post Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:36 am

Done some Wh40k stuff too:

Experimented with cheap inks. For some reason orange ink turned out to be fluorescent and, my crappy scanner have read the colours incorrectly anyway.

My drawings always end up unpopular. here must be some fatal flaw in how I draw but I don't know what exactly it is and how to fix it. Any ideas?

Post Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:02 am

The color adds a lot. I love the general shape and feel of the beakie at the top. I love the dimension and definition the color adds to the one at the bottom. I don't think there's a fatal flaw to what you do. It's very stylized, and that will put some people off. And maybe you're style is growing and developing in ways that will help you get through to a broader audience, if that's what you want. It seems your drawings are getting a bit more definition lately, and that's a good thing. I'm surely no art expert, but I figure people will usually respond better to stuff that they can parse at least enough that it make them think rather than leaving them confused. Too much new information tends to put people off. (In music at least, listeners do not initially respond well to serialism as any relation it has to the tonality their familiar with is . . . extremely tenuous. But if there's something that gives them a handle, a catchy rhythmic element, say, it can help make it a touch more digestible. And of course, as people slowly get a little more familiar with something they can dig into things that were previously more distant from them and potentially find value there.)

This is all a little off topic, but I think you have some interesting stuff there and I'd be happy to see more of it on here. And I'd love to see where you go as you keep experimenting. The color is a great addition.

Return to General Discussions