Advanced HeroQuest: Indiana Jones and the Castle Wolfenstein

Show us what you are working on at the moment

Moderator: Moderators

Post Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:46 pm

Advanced HeroQuest: Indiana Jones and the Castle Wolfenstein

You may remember, almost exactly a year ago, I announced I was working on a project to make a new version of Advanced HeroQuest themed around Jordan Mechner's 1989 classic video game, Prince of Persia.

Well, I got a little distracted with a combination of real life and other ideas, and it fell off my immediate to-do list. However, work is going to resume shortly.

But, now I've thought of yet another idea for a new version of Advanced HeroQuest!

This time it's going to be a cross between:

and

and

I am going to call it:

ADVANCED HEROQUEST: INDIANA JONES AND THE CASTLE WOLFENSTEIN

Sounds crazy? Yes it is!

It's inspired by two factors:

1. The 1989 Lucasfilm Games title Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade: The Graphic Adventure has a section in it where Indy explores the inside of Castle Brunwald, in search of his father:

Most of this section is viewed as a top-down "dungeon-crawl" with corridors, rooms, doors, stairs and patrolling guards...

...which Indy frequently encounters, and gets into a fist-fight with...

2. Wolfenstein 3D, from id Software (1992) is basically a first-person "dungeon-crawl", where the hero, BJ Blazkowics, stalks the corridors of Castle Wolfenstein, opening doors, shooting Nazis and picking up stolen treasure:

It struck me that, with only the slightest bit of tweaking, one could turn Advanced HeroQuest into a board game version of Wolfenstein/Last Crusade, where Jones and Blazkowics team up and go on missions together, crawling through the corridors of Castle Wolfenstein, fighting Nazis and searching for treasure!

For the dungeon tiles I will once again be using Zhu Industries' Planstrom set:

(laser-printed by Warbases)

...and for miniatures I will use Bob Murch's Pulp Figures range:

and of course, the heroes...

Indy bottom-left (obviously). The shirtless chap at the bottom-centre will be BJ Blaskowics, as he's been depicted as shirtless in the cover art.

Updates to follow in the coming weeks...
Something in my aspect and speech seemed to excite vague fears and aversions in everyone I met, as if I were a being infinitely removed from all that is normal and healthful.

Post Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:05 am

Re: Advanced HeroQuest: Indiana Jones and the Castle Wolfens

You're playing with fire here! Lovely, delicious, wonderful fire! Good luck. I look forward to updates.

Post Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:40 pm

Looking forward to see more :D

Post Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:28 pm

Yes, yes, and absolutely yes! 8-) I liked your idea with "Prince of Persia", but this idea is even better! If you want to add a little something extra with a bit more fantasy or sci-fi vibe to it, you might be able to find some inspiration in "Hellboy" (either the movies or the comics). Also, the classic movie "Where eagles dare" (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065207/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1) has a castle similar to the one Indy is visiting - complete with Nazis speaking Englisch vith ze German aczents ;)

Post Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:29 pm

By the way, it would be funny if you could find a role for the English Bulldog miniature as well :)

Post Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:31 am

^Surely the proper role for any English bulldog . . . or German shepherd for that matter . . . is biting Nazis on the tuchas. (Which requires you to ask which one in this case: the ventral anterior or the dorsal posterior. Either will do.) This might well be a skill that's needful again.

Post Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:21 am

I have never seen "Where Eagles Dare", but that sounds very exciting -- I will check it out soon.

I was also thinking about finding a way to incorporate Tintin and Captain Haddock into the game...

Something in my aspect and speech seemed to excite vague fears and aversions in everyone I met, as if I were a being infinitely removed from all that is normal and healthful.

Post Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:19 am

^I can understand why. Glorious miniatures! Tin Tin suggests another good way for a dog to deal with a Nazi. :D

Post Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:44 am

Those are available at https://1stcorps.co.uk

"Nosey Youth and Companions"

Return to WIP