The Beginnings of an Undead Army

dazza36

So far this year has been a real struggle for me to get motivated to carry on painting up my large collection of dwarfs. I've tried on several occasions to at least complete the unit I've been painting and even though only a couple short I just can't seem to just get on. So one day a couple of weeks ago I decided I needed to just paint something in the hope this would then drive me on to get on with the dwarfs. Looking through my pile of lead I just couldn't find anything that inspired me, at one point I was thinking one of my elven attack chariots but after some cleaning up I knew it was too intricate for my needs. However a chariot did appeal to me and I have several to choose from but it then hit me what could be simpler that a skeleton chariot! So after a few days searching I had myself a complete Skeleton war machines box. Whilst the catapult and all the skeletons needed a nice long soak I have been able to get a start on the chariot. So far its just the horses but its definitely a start in the right direction

Kx9SNyoX_o.jpg

WncxrbPp_o.jpg

The thing I love about painting skeletons is for me its just a case of paint an off white colour and then lots of washes of browns and maybe a few highlights in between. I like my skeletons to have the just out the earth grimy look to them. Sadly taking photos is still my downfall but will try to get some better ones as I move on with this little project.

symphonicpoet

Re: Getting my Mojo back

I think all of us know that taking pictures of miniatures is a special pain in the butt. That said . . . you've beaten that dead horse into shape right well! :) Looks good. Looking forward to the rest of the dried bones.

Ketil Trout

Re: Getting my Mojo back

Undead horsies are looking great, hope to see some more soon. Sounds like there are plenty of treasures in your lead pile.

dazza36

Re: Skeleton Chariot (getting my mojo back)

Cheers guys

So started on the actual chariot. The only real issue was to work out a colour for the cover on the platform. From looking on google it seemed the few i found had gone for a brownish colour. However I've decided to go for a rotten flesh look, my theory being its simply the flesh from the dragon that was used to create the chariot in the first place. Here are a couple of pics to show the progress so far. The photos show it after a few washes of various browns and green plus a brown/purple wash on skinn to get the basic colours I'm after now its just a case of building up these colours with more washes and some highlighting. Hope you like.

1QwLI42a_o.jpg

3UKxLA9w_o.jpg

symphonicpoet

Oh, now that is cool! Not only is it a great old miniature with tons of character, but you've done a great job with it. :)

Sleepysod

Great mini and a fantastic paint job. How you got the full chariot crew as well?

dazza36

Symphonicpoet : Yes it's a great little model

Sleepysod : Yes I have the complete box so all 6 characters and to prove it here's the first one nearly complete

7QTo9LP5_o.jpg

The plan is to paint all of the characters then decide who will ride . One thing I am noticing is how thin the legs are which may make pinning the models rather difficult !!!

Ketil Trout

Great work on Longhorn, look forward to seeing the other heroes. It really is such a good box, a good dilema to have to choose who gets to ride in the chariot, so many classic options. Good luck with the pinning.

dazza36

Here's a couple of terrible photos of Longhorn and the driver.

aJ9bhMbJ_o.jpg

gqdnkcZw_o.jpg

Sadly a lot the subtle colours on the bone have washed away with my crappy photos. When it came to the driver I was stumped by his right leg and couldn't work out if it was trouser or skin under the rag ! In the end I went with dead flesh. Next is Screamer and hopefully finish the actual chariot

symphonicpoet

^The color is ambiguous enough it could be either trouser or flesh. Now if you put a pinstripe tattoo on it . . . ;)

Lovely stuff! Good to see the mojo flowing.

dazza36

Slowly getting there, chariot is 99% complete and first 2 crew finished. Took a quick photo with them mocked up on chariot and funnily enough turned out to be rather good . You can see a lot better the various washes I've used to create the bone effect!

RhxrBiNO_o.jpg

dazza36

Definitely got the paint mojo paint, but not in the intended way as instead of getting me in the mood to get on with dwarfs I've just been buying more skeletons to paint LOL.

Anyway managed to take some half decent photos of the next 3 characters from the box set, which just leaves the Liche Morbius left to paint. Hope you like

Reaper
nY0mVMUP_o.jpg

Screamer
7l4rk0hd_o.jpg

Hellblade
cbfX3tjL_o.jpg

So next will be Morbius stay tuned...

Sleepysod

Very nice indeed. Lovely paint job, definitely have your mojo back!

symphonicpoet

Oh, the middle guy is particularly lovely! I love the pose and hair and color scheme. Very nice!

Sleepysod

Are you planning to do shield as well? I just noticed the shield bosses on two of the skeletons

dazza36

Yes really happy with how they turned out but now the hard part to decide which one gets to ride in the chariot!

Sleepysod : Yes they will get shields once I locate my box of shields. I painted a test shield in which I added a thin layer of greenstuff to create a look of torn fabric but didn't feel this worked. So instead will be going for the more classical shield designs seen in old White Dwarfs more like the one's I painted for my orc's seen here but with a more suitable theme (skulls)

2vto3yv.jpg

symphonicpoet

Holy crap those look nice! That's just paint? Seriously? Well done! Looking forward to skulls.

And yeah, I expect they will have to be more subtle. Only way for moar skullz to be moar suttle is if you use the whole rainbow in one sitting. ;)

dazza36

Well dwarfs are definitely not getting painted anytime soon look what just turned up in the post...

k7Jyqpp7_o.jpg

Now the proud owner of a small army of plastic skeletons :razz: :razz: :razz:

Fimm McCool

Jealous? Me? Not at all. Well, ok, just a little.
Best plastic boxed set ever created!

Back