New terrain boards

Fimm McCool

With some supplies from The Model Tree Shop and Scotia Grendel I have almost finished a few more terrain boards for my new games room. Hopefully the castle will form the setting for a siege game with a difference at BOYL this year whilst the Isle of Skye boards make a nice display for my game at Salute.

scen1.jpg

scen2jpg.jpg

scen3.jpg

symphonicpoet

Do these all fit together? Lovely stuff. I have a fair few old Exxen Castillos that I have wondered about retrieving from my mother's basement and using on gaming tables. (Unaltered. Just . .. build a new castle when you need a different one.)

Fimm McCool

The mountains and dwarf hold will sit back to back for a mountain fortress. The sloped sides of all the boards are the same and the flat sides are... flat, so yes, all fit together in a fair few combinations.

symphonicpoet

Truly excellent stuff. Once long long ago I started a similar project. Built two or three long narrow boards with some hills and flat sides. No idea what ever happened to them. Long lost and most probably destroyed. You make me think I need to try again. :)

Fimm McCool

A tree board to join the swamp and rocks.

54434896_1502581299876754_1250258284011585536_o.jpg

The side matches up to the raised edge of the rocks and castle boards, the back can sit at 90 degrees to the same edge and all the other areas are flat to match up to the swamp boards.

symphonicpoet

What trickery is this to make it seem as though you have two boards! :grin: Lovely stuff. I really look forward to seeing how it all fits together. It's one thing reading your descriptions, but until you have them all in a photo. With fimir and dwarves and dragons on them . . .

Glorious! :)

Fimm McCool

symphonicpoet":jo52kpun said:
What trickery is this to make it seem as though you have two boards!

Haha, yes. The others are two boards, but this is just the one. I do want to do a second one that's got flat edges all around or possibly backs onto the puzzlewood boards... but not sure if I'll have the space.

symphonicpoet":jo52kpun said:
It's one thing reading your descriptions, but until you have them all in a photo. With fimir and dwarves and dragons on them . . .

I'm looking forward to that too. Once the builders have finished sorting out the roof (they've not even started yet...) I can get on with building the table for it all to sit on. Then I'll be able to snap away to my heart's content!

Pumpkineater":jo52kpun said:
that looks amazing and very atmospheric; perfect! love it tons :) ! must have been great fun making those.

Thanks. Yes it was. Twisting the wire is very satisfying. I used iron wire for these to experiment, so they're quite heavy but much easier to bend into shape than the steel or aluminium wire. My next plan is to experiment making a barer tree using fine copper wire for the smaller branches.

Tex

That display box is one the coolest, prettiest and most inspiring things ever! You, Sir, have my sincerest and deepest admiration!

I hope to be able to make something similar one day...(step by step bookmarked, for now ;) )

Back