Crimson Fists Marines, Inquisition & Legion of the Damned

Suber

Re: Crimson Fists Marines, Inquisition & Legion of the Damne

These are enormously interesting, keep posting!!

JonAtron

As always, thanks for your comments and posts :grin:

Rough WIP - 5 of the 10 man squad. Just need 4 troops and a special weapon.

ardyer

Those look rad! What's the severed head from?

JonAtron

A full tactical squad of 10. Just got to wait for glues and putties to dry before a clean up and then paint shop.

As for the severed head, not a clue, I found it in my bits box (recently stocked up from ebay bits.) It's got a new style space marine hand on it.

Wow!

What a collection! What consistent ingenuity! Absolutely loved looking through your work!

Missed the whole of your thread, having been awol for two years, but feeling gee’d up to get back into my own RT pile, whereupon I will certainly ‘pinch with pride’ a few ideas from what i’ve seem here.

JonAtron

Thanks, Max :)

Not made much progress of late. Just shot a bit of black and slapped a bit of red on more as a test of concept. I want the paint job on them to give the impression of spectres and not just black marines with fire painted on their armour. I'm after a glowing-ish red flame effect and mat light absorbing black armour. Still very much a wip.

Suber

That's absolutely incredible. I love them all!!
About the severed head, it's a new Daemonette. I believe it comes from the Grey Knights pack, but I would need to check.

JonAtron

Thanks for the link, I've not sen that before. What an effect! I love it, what a great job he did and something to take a little inspiration from. :) I don't think I can achieve that look with my skill or paint ranges but hes nailed it!

JonAtron

Slowly plodding along with these. Experimenting as I go.

As said before, my idea is of spectres rather than just half dead marines in flame painted armour. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with that but A: I didn't fancy painting yet more neatly painted space marines and B: I like the idea of them being an enigma. With very few of them left and swiftly dying how do they keep appearing?! Also, despite the inquisition trying, a dead marine has never been recovered from the field of battle. I also liked the idea of the RTB1 armour mix for them as they were such an old lost chapter, it seemed right,(not just because I had some spare :) ) For those who don't know about them, they are supposedly the remnants of a chapter by the name of Fire Hawks;

I like this image, idea of them. Stuck in some place of reality / warp.

JonAtron

That will do for these, they will look good on the table far different from anything else in play.

JonAtron

So, with the LoTD table top ready (I might darken down the edge of the bases a little,) I've just about done everything I actually game with. For now, the RT army (save the usual missed bits, tweaks and a matt varnish on some) is done. Caveat being I've still got some miniatures I don't play with and don't want to sell, but maybe paint.

When I've mopped up all the little bits I've missed or forgot, I will do a nice themed army pic for the appropriate thread.

Couple of things I've found with using the RT army to play 8th edition 40k, is that the miniatures really and I mean really are a lot smaller than their counter parts. It shows a lot against anything 4th edition age onward. Second is, the rose tinted glasses had me totally forget how cumbersome to play with the metal ones are. They fall over all the time, the Terminators are chipped up already due to this despite being on bigger bases (32mm) good undercoat, gloss auto varnish and matt model finishing varnish. The models are top heavy and don't stand well on anything more than a flat surface. Assault marines with the jump packs and always having to be glued back on (bring on the super glue frosting.) So I will drill and pin them in the future. One thing that does make me chuckle, when at the shop or club people are amazed when someone sticks an after market shoulder pad on a marine and its though of as some amazing conversion of a model. I think they need to come and look over this forum and some of your works! :)

Simply marvellous. A clear vision, a great collection and beautifully painted!

Suber

Any word that comes to mind is just an understatement. :shock:

Back