Crimson Fists Marines, Inquisition & Legion of the Damned

JonAtron

Re: Crimson Fists - Rogue Trader Space Marines

Thank you for the compliment. :) While I look at that figure and I wish I could paint ALL my figures to that standard. I would simply never get this army done. I'm content that it is all a nice table top standard but, you know, I will probably go back over a few as my skills continue to improve.

Tanks are on hold at the moment as I don't quite have the bits to finish them or the time to fire up the air brush for a 3 tank session. But I've been toying with a Captain in Terminator armour. In the game I played the other day he was a beast! I want one. The figure I used was a terminator from the shooty squad with a captains power fist. (He had it as I didn't have enough bits when I made the squad.) So, break out the drill bits and magnets.

Easy to work with but not man enough for the job.

Pain in the arse to drill but works a treat with great hold!

So now we have the ability for weapon options. i.e to swap the storm bolter for a storm shield when I make it, he now needs a power fist. 8th edition has a relic war gear option for a power fist that is bloody great. You wouldn't leave home without it. Also I have the bits now to take the Termies Captain rank arm and give it to the Termi Captain. The Termi can have a standard arm as is proper and the Termi Sarg has his proper load out and badge already. Perfect. I feel calmer and my ocd is content.

JonAtron

All been a bit too busy of late for much on this 'er thread but, I've had a good few ideas that I want to do but not the time or the calmness of mind to do them. So for now I've just restocked the bits box via ebay and spent a short time on the termi Captain. A Blue/green stuff press mold of a strombolter arm, cut the bolter off and put on a shield and magnets.
Got to have those eagles on show for rank!

An old chopped up Chaplain in bits I've had since the start. A bit of drilling, pinning and magnets and we have him back on duty either on foot or with a jump pack. Not sure where the legs are from I think its a second maybe 3rd edition bit. The RTB01 gorilla legs looked worse than these do on him.

Edit: I've just found his biker legs! But sadly, far too biker pose to stand with...hmm, what to do, don't want to waste them :grin:

I didn't like them legs, just not right and now we have the right legs (only for the sitting pose) lets make him move! No matter how fierce the fight, there is always time for a dance off.

JonAtron

Getting some colour on these. The apothecary is from the bike set on a modified pair of RTB1 legs. I'll probably never use him in game but I didn't want to waste the part, He can stand on the shelf as part of the apothecarium. The Termi Captain will have gold arms and shield in non metalic metal so I can get some more practise at that.

Still in the back field.

Not really sure what to do with that Landraider. I don't need another Crimson Fists one as that force already has 2. I might just hold it back for a while and see if an imperial agents codex comes out and let the Inquisitors or something else with flavour have it. I don't want to paint another blue tank after those preds. :/ A future idea is to make a squad of Legion of the Damned as I have a few odds, ends and back packs for them. I've also seen on here someone do a really good RTB01 version with skull masks I really liked. So when I get this Crimson Fist stuff done. I'll have a go at that. (They don't run tanks per se in the current 8th edition codex.)

JonAtron

The apothecary... I get the pose and its concept, swinging his sword as he rides his bike into the fray to save a downed brother. But I don't really like it as a standing up model (as he is now.) I've got enough troops in fighting poses, I like the others to be in poses that show the narrative and flavour of their roles and work. So I even though I started painting him, I had to change him. I cut the sword off and found a use for the Cyber Dove Familiar! Like a falconer with bird and glove, he is launching the Familiar to scan the battle field from up high for the wounded and the dead.

JonAtron

Relic /Baal Pred. Need to get moving on these as I've got some time to do them now. I tried RT heavy bolters on the sponsons but they just didn't look man enough. I was going to use some Space Crusade scout H.Bs but they aint cheap to get and I do actually run my scouts with the weapon so I couldn't pinch from Peter to build Paul. I tried a green/bule/stuff mold of the weapon but it just wasn't crisp enough. So, I had to go with some modern scout H.Bs which look good i think and suit the tank but like the Landraider with the quad bolters, just aint quite that RT aesthetic for those in the know.

portman

It might not be exactly RT but looks damn good anyway – besides I like the idea of cutting up the newer miniatures to help convert the old, it has a lovely irony to it.

Well done for getting such a good result with your army day entry – not hollow at all but blooming well deserved!

JonAtron

Not much to report. Just got these 'done' to a table top standard to get them off the bench. Got a bit bored of them being in the way and lost the motivation to paint them (hate that mood.) Just working on the Termi Captain NMM gold which, well, its not going quite as expected. :/ Too much darker shadow I think looking at the pic.

Once that is done, here is the plan.

Finnish off a couple of little bits (termie arms) to clear the paint bench.
X2 Predators in Crimson Fist colours. Built need paint.
The Crimson Fist Force is then all but done.

Then in due course I have 2 side projects that I can take as allies in games.

Legion of the Damned Squad. x1 tactical squad - RTB1 marines. Possibly with a Rhino.

Inquisition force - Landraider Prometheus (I've already made the guns) with a selection of Inquisitors and acolytes/henchmen.
These should keep me going. I can learn some new painting techniques and no blue paint in sight :grin:

portman

Great looking Mini's (even for so called table standard!) and your future plans sound very interesting.

I've been meaning to ask - what rule set do you play these guys to generally - 8th or are you able to play RT or 2nd?

Cheers!

WARDUKE

Amazing project.

Quick question - And maybe I missed it in 19 pages of posts....

What base blue and red are you using for your models?

Thanks.

JonAtron

I play 8th edition at the moment and have tweaked the RT army and units to cater for that, not that there is much if any difference. In fact it works out better with the smaller models to hide and for cover hehe. There aint really any Oldhamerites near me for a 'pop over have a game.' I used to play 2nd edition back as a kid and have a couple of surviving books. I'd play it and RT for sure, that flavour and narrative fun just oozez from it but alas no one to roll the dice with. I might go to BOYL next year and network a bit to play a game or two.

Colours I use are (these are all on Halfords grey car primer - its a mid tone grey);

Citadel Khorn red is the definitive base. I do the red in this order with the wash all over it all by brush.

Model Air Insignia Blue/also know as Signal Blue is the definitive base. I do the blue in this order with an airbrush and the ink is used for pin washing by brush. The Ultramarine Blue at the right side of the pic is for reference that the Game Colour and Game Air Ultramarine Blue are not even close to each other. That made me grumpy after buying it as its useless to me.

portman

JonAtron":3nejbx9q said:
I play 8th edition at the moment and have tweaked the RT army and units to cater for that, not that there is much if any difference. In fact it works out better with the smaller models to hide and for cover hehe. There aint really any Oldhamerites near me for a 'pop over have a game.' I used to play 2nd edition back as a kid and have a couple of surviving books. I'd play it and RT for sure, that flavour and narrative fun just oozez from it but alas no one to roll the dice with. I might go to BOYL next year and network a bit to play a game or two.

I love the fact you're playing 8th with late 80's & early 90's era miniatures - that really appeals to me. The modern era figures don't really float my boat, if anything they all appear OTT (I DO like the new Rhino however). I'd love to see peoples reactions when you turn up with a cracking RT force.

What do you think of 8th? I've only ever really played a bit of 2nd and a lot of 3rd (I really liked third actually) before falling out of the hobby so everything past that is a mystery. However I've been thinking about picking up a copy of the 8th rules (I have RT, 2nd and 3rd) as my 15 year old daughter has been asking me to teach her how to play - As much as she'd love to play any version, she's just the sort of person I can see getting into the hobby seriously (she's already very much into Goth/Steam Punk stuff) and I can't help feeling she'd be better off being up to date. (that and I just fancy having a go myself). Is it REALLY different to what came before - I hear it's a better game?

Cheers!

JonAtron

-Bit of chat here with Portman :) -

Using a nice RT force with the modern rule set works just fine. Space Marines as a force and structure have not changed over time, just the scale and sculpts updated. It turns heads and people genuinely love playing against a fully and reasonably well painted army. Its full of character and novelty that gets people chatting even from other tables. I'm also lucky (so I've been told) that the Games Workshop Manager don't mind me using them here. There are some shops that are shite and wont as they are so far OOP and provide no incentive of sales for the shop. The other two downsides I've found: One is the base and smaller model sizes mean there are a few tournaments I've been told, that wont let you play even though the figures ARE citadel and ARE on official and original sized bases. But I don't play tournaments so no bother. The MAIN issue I have is wear on the minis. They are mostly all metal which makes moving and playing with them ever prone to dropping and bashing together hard as opposed to plastic where you can just grab a handful of them. You have to play gentle with them and expect a few chips. Small things but something to note. I LOVE my RT army, wouldn't change it for modern. But its not just about the playing for me its the collecting and ebay hunt.

8th edition in a nutshell... think of 8th as an arcade version of those before it. The core rules are free in paper handout form (although the book and updates you have to buy.) It's simpler and quicker, though very generic with a sprinkling or fluff and narrative in the buffs and characters of each army. Previous version such as RT and 2nd I remember being where the lore is, the oddities and flavour, game mechanics, the stuff you can get your teeth into and enjoy many an argument over a Thud Gun or Flamer template placement. Those have all gone in 8th and replaced with flamers auto hitting just needing a roll to wound. Tanks now can fire ALL guns on them without needing each weapon to have line of sight. The 8th system tries to streamline everything, remove complex rules and simplify for speed and ease AT the expense of game character and to some extent tactics and unit placement. Its still a tactical game, simplicity does not make that absent. That said its hard for me to make a proper comparison as I've not played 2nd in 15 years. But I like it, I have to, its all anyone plays around here. So if you want to play a game, more than once a year at BOYL or your lucky to live near some 40k Oldhamerites, you'll have to play 8th. I would DEFINITELY recommend your daughter to get into 8th. Else she will be the only kid on your block without anyone to play with. As to what models she uses, -shrugs-. I've found ebay prices on the older expensive models not far off or cheaper than new GW models. I like getting them cheap and repairing them. That said new models have crisper and more recessed detail making them easier to paint with base coat, washes and dry brushing for quicker better results. They paint themselves, where as you have probably found with the Space Hulk and older figures, YOU have to paint it, if that makes any sense.

Love it or hate it 8th is and continues to be a VERY successful system with many players. I was really surprised how many people play up here and the diversity of them! GW stores have a games night once a week, pop down there, network a bit. Might take you a bit of time as it took me to find the people you want to know and play with. There are always those 'characters' that you wont and just politely avoid them. From there ask about other clubs, facebook groups and game nights and your away. I've found the RT army opens this Oldhammer world to you and the 8th edition rules open up the game scene. For me its the best of both worlds and hopefully, you too.

---------

Getting there with the Captain. I tried differing yellows and browns compared to the inquisitor to try and make it more gold instead of brassy. I'm, kinda happy with it, after all its a new technique to me with plenty of room for improvement. Colour combos could be refined to really give it a golden look and confidence in knowing how the light reflects and emulating that, instead of going with what I think I can get away with to get some sort of effect. But yeh, at a glance it looks fine for table top and I'll need him for a battle tomorrow.

JonAtron

All but done. Just need to tidy up the shield edges, forgot about those and the rogue dab of red paint on the sword handle. :)

Now, onto the predators. Hope I've got enough ultramarine blue left :/

JonAtron

Just started the last 2 Preds in the paint shop.

Had a real 'mare with the airbrush, I have always had issues with the signal and ultramarine blue gunking up inside the tip every 30 seconds. Tip dry aint a problem, just pinch it clean but the nozzel requires the brush to be taken apart which when your doing it every other minute, it was this close } --- { to be thrown out of the window. The bright light blue works fine as with the yellows on the earlier rhino I did and got lovely smooth blends. I've tried all sorts of things like watering down the paint, vallejo flow improver, higher air pressure. I think its just down to the thick pigmentation of the paint and the small 0.2 nozzel. Of course when your trying to paint gradients over large areas, when it's hit and miss and spatery and unpredictable on the spray it just don't work for smooth transitions. It kills me because I know what I want and can achieve but just cant get that result reliably. But, eh, we kind of got something. I am thinking of getting another airbrush maybe an iwata with a 0.5 nozzel to hopefully resolve these issues.Then again I could just be throwing good money at bad technique -shrugs- .

ardyer

Dude, your output is amazing, everyone I log in, you've got like 20 updates and they all look great!

JonAtron

I don't like to leave you lot too long without some casual lunch break viewing, Ardyer :grin:

Got me a few RTB01 beakies (for the LOTD project) as the bits of the ones I have left are just useless. Got this little medic chap in with 'em. I don't need another medic, but I was plesantly surprised he had the proper back pack for his role! So, I'll keep him for the collection. Paint him up soon-ish. Honestly, LoL, this Crimson Fist project just never ends.

Getting there with these now. Trouble is, over such a time frame as this project your painting skills and style improves and shows some. But Once they have a dull coat and the shelf dust settles on them, they should all look as one. Still WIP as the logos need work and a bit of weathering, just a touch, the models tidied up pretty well without too much damage to the plastic.

portman

Hi Jon,

Great progress on those tanks and that Captain – they all look great. I especially like that gold effect on his shield etc. nicely done. So will we have another game report soon?

Thanks for your thoughts on 8th (and sorry for the late reply – I’ve been up to York for a few days and no blooming wi-fi) and using the older miniatures – the mix of old and new really appeals to me as well for some reason. I’ll definitely go that route with my daughter, it would be good for her to know the current version (although if she gets into it I suspect she might want to go with learning both – she loves retro and was having a nose through the cards in my Dark Millennium box over the weekend!) and to be honest, I’d quite like to know how things have moved on too.

Thanks for the advice and help – Cheers Dude!

Stuart

JonAtron

The tanks are all but done, just a couple of little bits to do on them. I really hated the look of the citadel waster slide transfers, they have a silvering shine to them in most lights and just look shit, they draw they eye for all the wrong reasons and you cant see the red logo against the blue well any away. So I got the print your own water slide transfer paper out... again.

I finally cracked it with the waterside transfer paper. (See earlier page/night mare on thread.) I've tried about 4 kinds of varnish over these things to make them hold the print/ink and not bleed or come off when in water. I've tried mat, satin and gloss, applied it with a paintbrush and airbrush but it don't seem to work. Paintbrush smears the ink, airbrush even with multiple coats of all 3 types of varnish (vallejo and some generic one) lets the ink bleed in water. Plasticoat rattle can matt also lets the ink bleed and pulls the printed ink apart if stretched too much. This time I used a cheap rattle can of automotive high gloss paint that I found in the shed. 2 good coats of that and yeh baby yeh! it works a treat, like a real water slide transfer with no bleeding ink!

I think the overall result is 100% better than the previous transfers AND its the proper oldhammer Crimson Fists colours. I am proper pleased.

portman

Superb looking collection of tanks Jon - and the markings look great, well worth the effort.

JonAtron

Thanks Portman.

I'm just starting an Inquisition force to ally with my Crimson Fists. It seems right as the chapter is known to have strong ties with and spoken of as the Lapdogs of the Inquisition and I'm very done with painting space marines and blue. (even though I've always got a 'bit more to do.') :grin:

This force is a right mish-mash of figures and ages, although most of the figures are oop they not purists oldhammer. Oh and the landraider. Any objections to the continuing WiP thread with this?

The idea (as per 8th edition rule set) Inquisitor and a squad of 6 (max) acolytes. The acolyte squad is what all the retinue/henchmen/acolytes models of old are rule set as. This squad are pretty squishy but cheap and can take a bullet for the Inquisitor if they are close. So, each inquisitor with his flavour of Acolyte squad and a few extra characters/people in the middle back.

I think this chap was from Necromunder? he is going to need a bit of work.

The inquisitors - on the left has the, From Paris With Love -Chalie Wax feel. No armour, with his familiars which are his tools of the job to fight xenos. He works alone, gets things done directly.
Then we have the introverted, pious Inquisitor, a man of few words and his retinue to hold true purity and faith in the Emperor. Blessing and carrying his tools to fight demons.
And of course Inquisitor Killian, extroverted, outspoken and narcissistic, with his retinue to proclaim his coming and extend his ego. They also carry a few guns and do the work while Killian admires his reflection in a data slate.

You might see an inquisitor at the back of the pic with a hammer, another Forgeworld resin victim of paint stripper. I used my rusted biostrip 20 this time, only for a couple of hours. Other resin figures were ok but again the Forgeworld resin is just shit and melts.

Back