Dwarfs + Gobbos + Elfs

dazza36

Cheers guys

So been unable to post lately due to a dead PC but that's been sorted so I'm back LOL.

Just a quick one today of the shields I've been working on for my Dragon's company. I've previously tried 2 different designs for them but was never truly happy with either of them and knowing I was going to need a design soon I started doing the usual goolgle search but felt the heraldry I came across was both too difficult for me to paint and also too intricate for the size. So I did what any self respecting Oldhammerer does and started looking through my collection of old White Dwarfs ! And there in WD89 I found my inspiration in a lovely drawing by the great Paul Bonner in an article about Robin Hood. So here we are the first 10 shields are done...

My previous attempts.
2rotlj8.jpg

msc6xc.jpg

And the improved version.
mlqzwz.jpg

I'll hopefully get a photo of the painted models that these shields go with as soon as I get the time so stay tuned...

dazza36

Cheers Sparfell

So on to the unit models I've pained so far. I've gone for the classic 80's red and yellow and must say I really like the look. I painted them in batches of 2 with each batch having the same colour hair, boots and gloves. I've kept to a very uniformed look with the tunics, metals and belts but mixed up the boots and gloves to make them slightly unique so these vary from black through to various shades of brown. Hope you like...

2ltopeh.jpg

A couple of close ups
2945fzt.jpg

oa2j9j.jpg

Once varnished I can add the shields and hopefully I'll have the first 20 strong unit painted up soon

dazza36

Cheers guys

I was hoping to have completed the unit by now (I'd planned on painting a minimum of 2 a week) but have been struggling to find the time ! I'm also getting bored of painting the same old colours so really need to get them done so I can get back to my Imperial dwarfs. With that all being said I've decided I need to in some way keep myself motivated in painting and have come up with the plan of trying to paint up my dwarfs in accordance with the dwarf army list from the Warhammer Armies book. I have roughly 200 Imperial/Norse dwarfs so should be able to get a good way . My plan is to use my Imperials as the elite units so Hammers, Iron Breakers and Longbeards, the Dragons Company will become Clansmen and the remainder I will use as Warriors. At my present rate this should take me about 3 years ! So I better stop writing and get on with them...

dazza36

Another small update still plodding away !! Totally forgot I had this one lying in the pile and although not really a Dragon's company figure there's plenty to suggest it may have been intended as or at least inspired by them (just like the pistol firing dwarf). I always thought he was just drunk but as soon as I started painting him I realised there was a slash to his tunic and a massive cut in the helmet! But to me he's just had one too many! Anyway as always hope you like

166k4cj.jpg

Just 2 more to go...

dazza36

Finally finished the first unit, it's taken a lot longer than I'd hoped but I'm generally happy with the outcome.

2hxsfw7.jpg

With the champion (Ulther) I wanted to go for a slightly different shield design but also keeping him tied in with the unit, this was then carried onto the flag. When it came to the flag I again wanted to go for a battle damaged flag and not a pristine one. Although I may have got a bit carried away!

2rdi5nk.jpg

24m6l5i.jpg

Hoep you like and I'm moving on to the next unit so stay tuned...

dazza36

Thanks guys glad you like.

So as I said in a previous post my plan is to use the Warhammer Armies list as an inspiration for me to paint my collection of dwarfs and not get side tracked by orcs or goblins etc! To do this I've managed to divided my collection into the various units but in doing so came across a lot of duplicates which was inevitable I guess. So I've come up with an idea to use these models to represent the same dwarf but just at different stage in their life, in other words paint one version with a grey beard and make him a longbeard!

So here are the first lot completed

2r3v3mq.jpg

24uw5d4.jpg

2v283n4.jpg

28i6rn5.jpg

mlgpl5.jpg

Just a close up of the shield as i'm really happy with it LOL
i38bj4.jpg

Sadly i don't have enough copies to have the unit just made up of them but can't have everything! Here's another longbeard
2iurxnt.jpg

dazza36

Managed to paint a few more up. Hope you like

28at3d2.jpg

33esy3c.jpg

20jh7p0.jpg

11tlg90.jpg

I've decided to paint the command group in the colours of the King so red/yellow and will incorporate the dragon design where possible to tie them into the King's household. You can just see this on the standard bearer who carries the design on both his shield and front tunic. Once i get another puree tube i will add a flag to the pole.

portman

Fantastic - great painting and some brilliant choices for colours.

I really like the damage you've added to their shields - very realistic.

dazza36

Cheers guys much appreciated.

I've taken a very small detour from trying to finish off at least one unit before end of year. I recently got my hands on a patch of dwarf crossbowmen from BOOD MINIATURES and wanted to paint one up to get an idea of how they will fit in with my OOP dwarfs.

The first thing I noticed about these dwarfs were they seemed slightly smaller and thinner than his previous dwarfs. There are 3 variants, each with the same body just different head/helmet. The crossbow is a separate item and again there are 3 variants of this. Just like with the old Citadel figures designed like this the main problem I have/had is to make it look like the crossbow is actually help by the dwarf and not simply balancing on his hands! To this end I had to remove the thumbs and a finger and then greendstuff them again to try to achieve this. The only other small issue I have is with the pouch and bolts around the back as its not the best and took my a while to even realise what it was! Sadly I don't have the sculpting skills to remove it so will just have to live with it.

Here he is all painted up
2ufdeae.jpg

A close up
flfr4p.jpg

I think they are well worth the money even with the small issues I've mentioned and will fit in nicely as another unit for my slowly growing army. On top of that they will also give me a chance to try out my greenstuff skills by trying to alter the faces to create more diversity amoung them!!!

Ztahlinork

OMG. These are marvelous. All of them.
Absolutely stunning work.
:o

PS: saw your PM, but can't reply it seems (being a new member and all)

dazza36

Here we go again, another attempt to paint up a dwarf army!!

So first off I should say I'm a massive fan of dwarfs and especially the Perry dwarfs circa 85. They were the first things I collected when I got back into the hobby and the closest I ever got to a painted army. Originally I painted them in a green/yellow scheme and got to have a good few painted.

eHrOWBVb_o.jpg

I stopped painting for a few years and when I came back I'd lost interest in the green/yellow and decided to take the bold step of repainting them, this time having a more individual scheme for them. This led me to the second incarnation of my army although I didn't get much further than a couple of nearly completed units.

PNJTJeRN_o.jpg

dGTa5ogx_o.jpg

Again I lost interest in them and moved on to attempt an undead army but I'm back again for a third attempt! So what's my plan this time around ???

Well as much as I loved painting each figure as an individual I found it very time consuming and so this time I'm going to stick to a simple scheme which should help me be able to batch paint the models, which will be red with yellow (see dragon company above). Another thing is I'm planning on using Bood miniatures for the most part. The reason is these figures consist of chainmail and a surcoat which should help with speed and also enable me to give that uniformed army look. I will still be using the Perry dwarfs for more elite units (longbeards etc). So whilst I'm waiting on the first order of figures I've been having a little play around with a couple of figures I had from awhile ago. My only issue with the Bood figures is the lack of variety when it comes to the faces, I think there's only 5 or 6 versions so I'm going to need to alter them using my less than great greenstuff skills. So here's my first couple of tries at doing so.

b2BKScEQ_o.jpg

nMeIqlKR_o.jpg

The painted model I removed the helmet and greenstuffed a chainmail hood and altered the nose and beard slightly. The second figure was originally a hero figure but I felt the original helmet looked too small so I've greenstuffed a larger version and now have to make an arm for him. So not much but its definitely a good start and here's hoping I'll be able to finally complete this project !!

Back