So Which OldHammer?

Condottiero Magno":1rmwr2n5 said:
I thought miniature style wasn't the main thing associated with Oldhammer, but more about the rules and attitude... :|

The obsession with "retro miniatures" is probably why 80s Citadel sculpts are going for £10+ per figure.

That's a can of worms that's likely to spawn a 100 page argument. It's not even about rules when you consider that some people are using other rule sets. Attitude, yeah but when people are told that it's whatever you want it to be there's always someone who thinks a little too far out of the box shall we say. It's always seemed to be a case of if you get it, you get, if not then you're probably someone who will try and sell 2000s era models on an 'oldhammer' trading group. ;)

Condottiero Magno":1h89i2wm said:
Battlesystem 1st Ed.('85) or 2nd('89)? How about Battlesystem: Skirmishes? Other than what's mentioned on wiki page, I'm not familiar with 1st, but own 2nd and Bs: Skirmishes and both are about as complicated as WFB3, in regards to racial modifiers and tactical formations, plus it's better organized and included siege rules. Both the mass battle and skirmish books had rules for converting characters and critters from AD&D 2nd edition. The only downside was that TSR never properly supported it beyond a few miniatures boxed sets and a few supplements, like Forgotten Realms: Horde Campaign and Gold & Glory - my favorite obviously. :roll:

You want fiddly, try Fantasy Warlord...

It would have been around '86 at a guess, so 1st Ed. Our group would basically pick up any rules sets we could find and give 'em a test, so yeah, we tried Fantasy Warlords too. It was pretty highly hyped when it came out so one of our group picked it up. Although I can no longer remember exactly why, I do remember that after trying it, we all universally hated it. :lol:

dieselmonkey":1lyjmxmc said:
Condottiero Magno":1lyjmxmc said:
Battlesystem 1st Ed.('85) or 2nd('89)? How about Battlesystem: Skirmishes? Other than what's mentioned on wiki page, I'm not familiar with 1st, but own 2nd and Bs: Skirmishes and both are about as complicated as WFB3, in regards to racial modifiers and tactical formations, plus it's better organized and included siege rules. Both the mass battle and skirmish books had rules for converting characters and critters from AD&D 2nd edition. The only downside was that TSR never properly supported it beyond a few miniatures boxed sets and a few supplements, like Forgotten Realms: Horde Campaign and Gold & Glory - my favorite obviously. :roll:

You want fiddly, try Fantasy Warlord...

It would have been around '86 at a guess, so 1st Ed. Our group would basically pick up any rules sets we could find and give 'em a test, so yeah, we tried Fantasy Warlords too. It was pretty highly hyped when it came out so one of our group picked it up. Although I can no longer remember exactly why, I do remember that after trying it, we all universally hated it. :lol:

I've got Fantasy Warlord still. My mum found it being sold for like a quid somewhere back in the day so she bought it for me. I remember it also got the comparison review treatment in Games Master International. It was pitted against Grenadier's Fantasy Warriors. The GMI review pretty much concluded that Fantasy Warlord was shite.

I played 2nd edition Battlesystem so I'm not sure if that made any difference. I think I read somewhere more recently that it was an improvement over 1st.

Plaiecivile

You know, I might as well just face genestealers against a Khorne cult now you mention the posibility... how much bloodier could that be? mouhahaha :twisted:

Zhu Bajie

stone cold lead":faklondb said:
I played 2nd edition Battlesystem so I'm not sure if that made any difference. I think I read somewhere more recently that it was an improvement over 1st.

I played 1st Edition Battlesystem it might have changed considerably between 1st and 2nd Editions, not sure.

WoTC have released the 2nd Edition game as a PDF for about $5, but I never really got on with AD&D 2nd.

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/169 ... _id=259395

stone cold lead":faklondb said:
..someone who will try and sell 2000s era models on an 'oldhammer' trading group

Since AoS is now in 2nd Edition, it does make sense that some people might assume 'Oldhammer' is just shorthand for anything Fantasy prior to AoS. I guess a group called "Trading 1980's Citadel Minis" wouldn't have that kind of mix.

Zhu Bajie":18oo2nyg said:
stone cold lead":18oo2nyg said:
..someone who will try and sell 2000s era models on an 'oldhammer' trading group

Since AoS is now in 2nd Edition, it does make sense that some people might assume 'Oldhammer' is just shorthand for anything Fantasy prior to AoS. I guess a group called "Trading 1980's Citadel Minis" wouldn't have that kind of mix.

I'm sure I saw someone selling an AoS branded box of something on the trading group before I hit unfollow (and I like AoS). And no matter how specific a group title and description (something nobody bothers to read) is it would still be flooded with mid 90's models. :lol:

It's unfortunate that the trading board here is pretty much long dead now. I've gone back to trawling Ebay.

rattylee66

For me I am thinking about looking more at third edition fantasy, but my time playing it was 1st into 2nd.It was that long ago now I cannot remember much about the rules themselves, but the pictures in the rule books brings back a few good memories. In reality I feel getting back into gaming would all depend on who's interested and what rule set they are willing to play.

Back