Crimson Fists Marines, Inquisition & Legion of the Damned

JonAtron

Re: Crimson Fists - Rogue Trader Space Marines

JuuuuUUuust about finished these here scouts, few little bits to do on them. And a dice tray made out of a picture frame.

JonAtron

Those that have been keeping an eye on this thread, know me and water slide transfers while not enemies, don't get along quite as smoothly as I'd like. I like these things I really do, when they are done right they really add value to the overall effect. So I thought I'd have another go. I bought some water slide transfer paper and got cracking.

Fired up the computer and started designing, painting, scanning...

Printed out nice, all well and good. Spray matt varnish over it to hold the colour in water and not be shiny on the model, yes, yes good!

Then, roll on 4 hours and countless attempts with this stuff. I got so fed up of cutting out the Fists decal for the big flag I changed the design. The problems are, unlike 'normal' decals, this stuff is on super thin stretchy white plastic. If you apply too much pressure with your finger on it when cutting, the plastic stretches (but the paint don't) and cracks/tears. When you soak it and it comes away from the backing, it LOVES to stick to its self and then that's that. If you manipulate it too much the plastic moves but the paint don't, so cracks/tears. Once you get this stuff on the model/surface, unless you've got it bang on in position first time, that's it. You can't move it no matter how much water you put on or under it. Try and move the whole thing with a finger, cracks in your paint, try and move a little bit with a brush, stretches and cracks in your paint. In short, I really do not recommend this stuff for the novice. As opposed to saving time and adding value, its more headache that its worth. Also the paper its on is quite thick and dulls a stanley knife blade quick. Oh and when it drys, haha, it hardly sticks to the surface, you need to varnish it on.

I managed to get some sub par results I'm keeping, purely for the suborn reason I spent sooo much time and effort on it! I'm hoping with a bit of paint/brush work I can marry it all in.

You know what, I genuinely think if your printed the design on thin paper, matt varnished and sanded the cut edges down, you would have a better result! :shock:

JonAtron

Had a little shuffle about with the banners. The Dread now has the original which suits it well I think and the Company Ancient now has something with more presence.

Not the greatest on close up but at table top distance it looks just great.

Assassin, I'll be trying him out in my next game, see how he does.

JonAtron

Everyone loves a flag to wave, I managed to get my hands on a Skullz edition Banner! Yes. Not quite pure RT but I like him and he will fit in a treat.

Moving on. I had a game the other week and the Thunder hammer Terminators really did their job well, supported by a termi Librarian (proxy inquisitor.) I got these two a while back and as I hate double ups (there is only one torso) I'll try and make it a little different. Just got to sort out that green stuff collar but as always, a wip. Also a flamer termi, just so I have one of each heavy weapon load out for the shooty squad and collection.

Rebased the last termis on the 32mm bases, they are a perfect size for them. Good balance and look.

I've also got a mix of Eversor assassins coming, to play with. One is the GW alternative pose, missing a few parts but I love a rescue and it was cheap. The other is some female model the only non GW one I have. I was going to have a go a making an Eversor. I need 3 and wanted a change.

JonAtron

Just dabbling here and there as time permits. Currently sorting this chap out with a little blue stuff/green stuff therapy - restoration. Just need a little more tidying up but its functional now.

I can never get a perfect recast though with blue stuff. As posted before I've found the best way to work with it is to make a little box out of lego and work with the blue stuff out of a pan of simmering water. Kettle water is just too cool and does not give enough heat to the 'stuff' to last long enough to work with. The trouble I have is the second part, the 'lid' never seems to cast as crisp as the base.
I've also found green stuff to be the best material to use in the molds as long as they are wet. After pressing it all together you can open up the lid and see if its half decent or you've used too much material. Other putties like magic sculpt etc tear apart when you open the mould when not fully cured, and, if it IS cured and you need to flex the mold to get it out, it can snap inside. It can also be be very frustrating to wait 12 hours to find a duff casting. :cry:

Also, smoke grenade objective markers in the works.

JonAtron

Been busy today, hence 2 post. A quick plasticard escape pod objective marker. This with the 3 smoke and 1 dead Termi means I just need one more to make a nice round 6.

Time to shoot and little paint. Now, I have no play/game use for all these Librarians, but, I love the sculpts. So for collection sake, I'll keep and paint them all. I also think the block of colour on the shelf will break up all that Crimson Fist Blue

So, I've got my army, dice/wound dice, dice tray, objective markers (almost.) I think I'm not far off completing this little big project... What then? :shock:

JonAtron

I want 3 assassins, Eversor only has 2 torso types so I thought i'd mix it up with a female for a change. She needs the mask, the gun and the backpack, she already has the skin tight suit. The bolt gun looks way to big for her... hmm...WIP

Smoke and colour! Looks OK I think for PVA and toilet paper.

Wow! That's a great conversion there Jon. What's the base mini? Looks kinda like a Hasslefree one.

That skull mask is inspired too. We'rd you find that from?

Sorry for all the questions but I need your skills :)

Great posts here mate, keep'em up!

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

JonAtron

Always nice to hear from you Mr Papafakis!

The model, I don't know. I got it of ebay listed as Cyborg Assassins 28mm metal figure. The mask was a cut up Ral Partha Fantasy skull- from a bag of 12 metal skulls. The rest of it when done will be green stuff. As for the conversion, I just thought it would be nicer for their targets to look at pillowy breasts as they die, rather than a gloss black codpiece.

Jonas

Looks good.

I think the model is Void or that other game that came after?

I could not find it on Scotia Grendel miniatures though.

Oh, they're the one's! Thanks for finding them Jon

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

JonAtron

Working nights this week so not much happening here.

No problem Papa', and thanks to Jonas who found the retail site!

Slowly painting these objective markers. I think I want 3 more of the smoke to make 6. Might have a go at seeing how well they blue stuff cast.

The assassin is coming along. Still very much WIP. I never factored in the fact that this is more true scale as opposed to 40ks heroic with the big head,hands guns etc. Now the mask works just about and now I've got the basics of a neuro gauntlet I can tidy that up and I'm happy with it. But the gun, that tiny pistol she has just wont cut it in the grim dark universe. Sadly though the assassins giant bolt pistol is too big it looks stupid on her. I'm going to have to take the plunge and cut her gun off and hope I can come up with something that works.

JonAtron

Just not sure about that gun. I was too scared to cut it off :grin: as I have nothing that looks right in her hand. The bolt pistol is just too big and chunky I think? A shame as what ties a model into 40k more than the ubiquitous bolt gun. Think I might rework that pistol needle too. I't looks more organic/Tyranid than imperial. It was made from a grenade and pinning wire but, no, it don't look right. Maybe back to the original green stuff asassins needle? oh... I don't know :?

One thing I've found as that taking pics and having a look shows up things you just never see with the eye and always for the worse. Good for improvement, bad for your OCD and ego :grin:
I so respect and admire many of you peoples work on here as to look good on camera is next level to simply looking good to the naked eye.

Jonas

You could consider a bolt pistol from the RTB01 plastic Marines? It is quite small compared to the newer versions or alternatively give her an autopistol or hand flamer.

JonAtron

Nice ideas, thanks Jonas! :) I settled on keeping the gun she had but making a smaller injection unit. I don't have any fancy styrene bits so I rolled out green stuff into various sized 'tubes' then cut them to the size I needed. Yeh, I think that is the best of the worst. Tidy up and paint up and the trio should look lovely together. Anyway, enough assassin pic already I get it :grin:

Just a little side project I've had in mind. Not sure if I'll make him an objective marker or just a mini-o-rama. Ork prisoner.

Objective marker. Just thought, they might need a number on them somewhere, somehow.

Back