Crimson Fists Marines, Inquisition & Legion of the Damned

JonAtron

Re: Crimson Fists - Rogue Trader Space Marines

I've found plasticard easy to use but very difficult to master. By that I mean its easy to cut out shapes and stick it but factoring in the width of a blade when you cut, the loss of surface area from the removed cut line and even the angle your holding the blade at when you cut (and not even thinking about it) all effect the over all quality of your produce. Also, you'd think it would be easy to cut a line or two to the same length or angle, pah! Not in your wildest dreams! AND to cut out a helix like you can't see on the roof due to a crappy camera (broke my old, service will resume with better quality soon) is really hard! Windows slits too, really hard but looking at it you'd think it easy. I've been using 1mm thick card which was perfect for tank hulls and you can sort of melt it a little with polly cement and fill in little gaps and holes. I don't think this and the LR came out toOoOo bad for a first time.

The 'Ambulance' is all but done. Just tidy up and ready for undercoat. The idea behind this was the Sister of battle Redeemer. The extra hull space would make treating and holding wounder marines easier, have space and room for extra equipment. I had to move the top hatch forward to give the bolter a field of fire worth having it on there for. Window slits because everyone likes a view of the battle field. Found 2 old brass? skulls so, yeh, have them on there as honours. No doors on the front just the drivers cover as the theme would have people in and out the back. Speaking of the back, a tail lift! Get those heavy armoured wounded into the back bed and a door to get in and out. (I actually work on ambulances so I took a few design ideas from there.) This was made the same way as I did on the LR. The front armour panel cut up and stuck together. Air filers / heaters on the top too made from bits and a backpack and of course all the usual repairs and cover overs you have to do with the old refurb tanks.

So whats next / left. All that painting to do and one last basic rhino. Then the force is complete... maybe ;)

JonAtron

Better quality pic. If I did this again, I'd make the top roof just a little bit smaller. Even just that 1mm plastic card surface roof on top gave it a lot of visual height.

Finished the last good old fashion Rhino. Just as with the very first Rhino I did way back at the start of this I had to make the grab rails and exhausts out of wire and off cuts of plastic. Skull aerials magnatised as so too is are the roof doors to accept the twin link Tarantula gun to make it a Razorback. This model has a really smashed up and hacked out rear hull which I had to patch up with plasticard and putty but it came out ok.

The three and final tanks primed and ready for paint.

I've got no front lights for the rhino or the Land Raider :( Anyone got any spare?

JonAtron

Thanks Stormbringer :)

I feel more confident with my airbrushing and contrast. Trouble is now I have to try and balance what looks good with how I previously did the tanks. Little bit darker on the contrasts here which I like and still just about blends in with the rest of the army.

Suber

I had missed these updates and I find them jaw dropping. What a work.

JonAtron

Thanks for the comments :) Still far from finnshed. Not had much if any time of late except to put a little paint on. It's getting there, s-l-o-w-l-y but I'm very pleased so far with it all. The Achilles IMO looks all in proportion and of its time. I'm also pleased with the look of the Ambo, if not a just a tad high on the roof and a little off angle with the hazard stripes. The Rapier Quad Bolter came out ok for table top standard. So I'm chuffed to have a working playable assesses and not wasted the metal parts.

Still can't get rid of the bloody shine on the water slide transfers. Grrrr! Really p**s me off that.

The process I use to apply transfers it's as follows:

1. Apply a gloss coat to the area you want to apply the transfer to. Wait to dry.
2. Apply transfer. Wait to dry.
3. Apply gloss coat over it. Wait to dry.
4. Apply dull coat. Done.

You don't get any shine then.

Hope this helps :)

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

JonAtron

Motor pool is done. So, we have a brace of Rhinos, 3 of which I can run as Razorbacks. 1 standard Pred (with changeable turret for relic weapons like beamer, etc) and the 2 Land Raiders. Between the two of them I can switch the load outs to run a Achilles, God hammer or Prometheus. Should just about fill every heavy tank need I have from fire support beast, to battle tank to command and hoard control. I have on the later tanks gone a little more with the contrast and much less with the weathing. Unline the previous models they were in good condition under all the paint where as the others I used the weathering to hid the bad bits.

When I get time in the future, I will look about making some quad bolters that look more in keeping with the age, as per the pintle mounted set. But for now I'm short on time just to get this project done and on the gaming table.

Also thanks for the transfer advice. I have done that on other tanks and still had the same problem. I wonder if its because I mostly use the old 1990's water slide transfers? Who knows, but the matt varnish takes the edge off a little.

ardyer

Do you have micro sol and micro set? These really help get rid if the edges of transfers. Sometimes you have to use multiple coats of the second part (I forget the order they are applied in).

You can also try solv-a-set, but I find this to be a bit too strong for old GW transfers.

JonAtron

Thank you lot as always for the advice. I use micro sol. Typically I would Vallejo gloss varnish the patch and area I want to apply the transfer. Cut and soak, apply to the gloss area with micro sol, sometimes a few coats of that to get it into shape then when all dry I've tried gloss, satin and matt varnish to set, with an over spray of matt rattle can (tried differing brands) to set the whole paint job on the model. some of the decals do have much more of a sheen than others, I think this is the new Vs old.

I've tried all the home remedies like white vinegar etc, I've tried all the varnish work around and combos. Just can't seem to get it. Maybe the micro set is the key? Although I've seen other peoples results looking great without it. Not that it matters much now as I've done all the decals but for future, I will crack this nut!

ardyer

JonAtron":1u1wz562 said:
Thank you lot as always for the advice. I use micro sol. Typically I would Vallejo gloss varnish the patch and area I want to apply the transfer. Cut and soak, apply to the gloss area with micro sol, sometimes a few coats of that to get it into shape then when all dry I've tried gloss, satin and matt varnish to set, with an over spray of matt rattle can (tried differing brands) to set the whole paint job on the model. some of the decals do have much more of a sheen than others, I think this is the new Vs old.

I've tried all the home remedies like white vinegar etc, I've tried all the varnish work around and combos. Just can't seem to get it. Maybe the micro set is the key? Although I've seen other peoples results looking great without it. Not that it matters much now as I've done all the decals but for future, I will crack this nut!
Micro set thins the transfer. So does solv-a-set, but it's pretty harsh. Works on the new transfers, but not on the old so well.

I'm both cases though, you need to apply and walk away. Come back 12+ hours later and check if you need a second coat. 2 should usually be enough.

Another trick is trim the transfer as close as you can to the design. This tricks the eye because there is a natural boundary. But when you do that, make sure to lightly cut with a very sharp blade. If you cut to hard, you can cause the transfer edge to curl just a little bit, which makes it worse.

ardyer

Here's a video from Paul Budzik that I found to be a huge help. He probably posted it on a different channel that has since been deleted, so hopefully it stays at this link: https://youtu.be/L_rdwH1EGus

JonAtron

So much to do, so little time. Armorium cherub for the Dev squad. Still slowly dabbing a little paint on these marines. I wanted some servo skulls, I don't know why but they fetch a good price on ebay I didn't want to pay. So I bought a cheap packet of metal skulls and I'm currently making a few (wip,) just for aesthetics and the collection.

Fimm McCool

Those RPE skulls have been a great buy, I've used them in so many things. Loving the little additions like the cherub, really brings the force to life.

JonAtron

Yes, I'm really pleased with them. Great price and just perfect for when you want a skull! Really nice to work with.

No rules in 8th edition for servo skulls so these are just for the looks. The ideas developing are an armorium cherub proxi set for when I run 2 dev squads. A chaplaincy set and a spotter/recon set.

JonAtron

Changed the skulls a little. I'm still very much enjoying the project but I just don't have the time to put the love into it at the moment, to up my game. I see some of the work on the forums and it looks amazing. Lots to be learnt and bettered from but alas I don't have that time. Literally 5 minutes here and there in passing which is NOT the way to do it. But for now, it wont show me up on the table (maybe that scroll work will, I'll redo that :grin: rushing again) and I can play them in games. Got some time off coming up so I can go back over, take my time and tidy these up and a few other bits that look a tad rushed. I know my limits as a painter but I'm disappointing myself.

Also added a signum for those Sarg re rolls!

JonAtron

Had a little time to get a few things started buuUUuut what a mare with the airbrush. Being such a warm day, 30c, the air brush just gets dry tip and makes a mess if anything in no time. Even with an oiled needle. I don't have flow improver so it didn't go as wanted. But I managed to get some paint shot in the end.

Working on scouts. I managed to get 7 lovely metal ones recently but needed 3 more to make 2 squads of 5. I happened to have some of the plastic ones from the old space crusade expansion game I think. So time to convert them a little. I've kept one as original state magnatised arm for pistol or heavy bolter. The other two I need different, I hate and don't want double ups. I also don't have enough arms for them so green/blue stuff to the rescue.

Trying to finish the 2nd Dev squad.

Shooty Termi squad under way with a choice of assault cannon or Cyclone launcher.

Once this lot is all done, its just a few characters left and then I'll do a tidy up and army group shot as it should be pretty much finished... As long as I stay off ebay :/

JonAtron

Still plodding along. 2nd Dev Squad done. Shooty temies done. I truly love the old style Temies so much detail. I have also done it so that all the bodies for the shooty Termies have the bionic eye where as the hammernators dont. They have the assault bodies. Just a little thing but it triggers my OC if it was all mixed up like :grin: One thing, the 'Captain' should have the grenade Power Fist BUT as a terminator Sarg, he needs the Power sword. So I used the grenade fist as a regular power fist on a termie. Not quite right but until I find an arm in some bits lot on ebay. Thats how it is.

Oh I also rebased all the terminators on 32mm bases, they were just pissing me off on the 28mm, so front heavy and always falling over. The new style is to have them on 40mm but they just looked too big for the smaller scale army of RT. 32mm, think serves all purposes of balance, look and play.

2 5 man scout squads coming soon.

Story so far

Suber

I love the choices you made with colours. Wonderful army!

Back