Crimson Fists Marines, Inquisition & Legion of the Damned

Suber

Re: Crimson Fists - Rogue Trader

Sir, this project deserves a standing ovation. Not only you chose a charming scheme (who doesn't love Crimson Fists?), but you turned them all into an awesome force with an amazing paintjob!

JonAtron

Whats been going on of late, well, sorting out the mess I made of some resin minis. While not RT era, I wanted a few minis more for the collection rather than to play. (Its getting out of hand, I keep buying new bits and bobs to add! :/ ) I felt that as a Crimson Fists force/collection it NEEDED the chapter master Pedro, it needed the iconic anniversary crimson fist marine AND if I can find him a Captain Cortez. Anyone got him? Got some things to trade if you have.

I got the two former and stripped them thinking they were plastic. Not having been in the hobby for many years, resin to my mind was solid lumps of, well, cast resin and easy to tell. Forge world style. But no, modern day chemistry and what not and we have Finecast? Anyway, the paint stripper stripped more than just paint and turned it all soft/brittle. Hence we have missing fingers and details. Its taken, what, 6 weeks for the resin to firm up solid again. I cleaned as best I could, primed and test painted a base coat. It looks ok. So I'll put the time into green stuff fixing the missing bits.

Currently working on the Dev Squad with a full suit of weapons for swaps. Just missing one h.bolter. I've had a 'mare magnetising these. The original magnets I set in the shoulders were too weak. Cut fingers and lead surgery later, I got them out and set in some deeper, stronger ones. Even these would not hold the tin plate I put on the guns satisfactorily. So, I found that you can use wire cutters and clip the round magnets into shape! A bit crude and it shows to the trained eye, but its effective and works. You simply can not drill a good enough magnet into the weapons as they don't have the body. The weight of them also overcomes small thin magnets. I also realised that the Sarg I had for this squad was doubled with an assault trooper I already had. I can't have doubles, so I got this fellow off ebay. His pose is perfect for a watchful Sarg. 'Lock on target, make it so.' Wave out metal finger. To note, I have found that none of the heavy weapons sit perfectly on any of the sculpts, all have their quirks that will drive your OCd crazy.

Don't know what I was doing with them back in the day, but I had some chopped up and melted! termi bits. Not wanting to waste them I thought it would make a nice objective marker. Recover the data from the suits machine spirit.

Once I get all this done. I'll make a run through the whole army to tidy up and water slide transfer them all, tie up the lose ends and bits I don't like THEN, I've got a trio of tanks I want to get done and well almost have finished the project.

apologist

Beautiful painting, and a very fun blog to follow. It's really cool to see the group build up, and the diversity of poses and equipment in the RT-marines gives them a much more grounded, down-to-earth feel than later versions. It's particularly appropriate for the Crimson Fists – would be fun to see some more walking wounded...

JonAtron

As always, thanks for the comments and suggestions. I do use them! I might just do that with the comms guy and make him the gunner, it would solve what to do with him rather than just sit on the shelf and mean I can get rid of the current one as it just doesn't look right. As for wounded, I love the picture of the last stand where you have the odd marine with a glove off and bandages attached. I might just give it a go as I have time at the moment. :(

Sad times at the moment. I do all my main painting with 3 brushes. A stubby size 0 and size 1 and a chopped down size 0 which I got second hand. Now this chopped down brush was cut and worn in just a way that was perfect, perfect for how I paint and what I used it for. I thought I would give it the clean it deserved, until all the bristle fell out as they were held in by paint residue in the ferrule. I'm not saying I'm some great 'artist formerly know as' with acrylic but I am sure most of you know exactly what I am talking about when I honestly say this brush was a piece of crap, but I was so used to it and how it behaved and its size. I have nothing like it and just can't get the feel of the other brushes I have, they just aint IT. So, no painting for a bit while I have some on order. I just got a mixed bunch so I can with luck find one to fill the hole in my life. I feel like, like, when your last biscuit breaks into your tea, like when you've run out of milk and the shops are closed, when your pc mouse dies and no new one never feels as good. :(

Gallivantes

like when that tshirt you bought in -99 finally disintegrated and the new ones are nice and good and all but it's not the like old one because it was just perfect

JonAtron

Not done any painting of late despite getting some nice new brushes. But I have been on bloody ebay again and got a few bits to add to the army. Coming soon-ish! Then I am done, I've got a nice collection to keep and play with. In the mean time...

So, I have one of these. Rapier tracks. No other bits to it.

And I've got some of that, green stuff and blue stuff.

To make some of this! A Rapier Quad Heavy Bolter.

Just needs a little more finesse when the green/putty dries.

JonAtron

I've had so little time of late and not got much if anything done. Just a quick 5 minutes here and there.

Quad Bolter just needs paint.

Objective marker finished. Nothing special just a something and nothing so as too not waste a few bits from the box. Didn't spend much time on it.

Got me one of them dreadnoughts from ebay. I've wanted one to play as a Relic Contemptor AND I wanted one for the collection. So, you know me I like weapon choices and playing models as WYSIWYG. Needed to find a way to get a multimenta and assault cannon on him.

I press molded an arm and played around with where/how the weapons would sit. I didn't like the finish of the arm. I've seen lots of video tutorials but I can never, NEVER get the quality they all seem to. I've tried everything from technique, material, etc. Not that it mattered as I changed my plan not liking where it was going and how it would work. Space crusade weapons anyone? I went for these out of the bits box as I felt the simpler, nostalgic look would fit better with the naive sculpt of the Dreadnought.

So, I pushed that aside and went for a different approach. I cut the bolter from the weapon hand of the metal arm. I did this as clean as I could and used it on the other hand to make it into a storm bolter. I think it looks better than the single bolter hand AND as per the rules I'll play it with, its a storm bolter. So a win, win there. I then drilled the weapons and hand and put in magnets. The multimelta was straightforward. The assault cannon looked a little weak as it was so I added an ammo mag from the SC missile launcher (of all weapons!?) to the top to give it some presence. I then made a little chainsaw up out of some bits and magnatised so that I can play the Dreadnought as a fist and chain fist close combat variant. I'm pleased so far with what little time I've had. Oh, I also cleaned up and putty shaped the damaged fingers. Still needs a good clean up and bit of finesse.

Ketil Trout

Lovely army you’re building here, so much care and attention to detail on some classics. Looking forward to seeing more.

The assault cannon conversion looks very promising. I agree that the twin bolter looks better than the single.

JonAtron

Not had much time or motivation at the moment. The project has got a a tad 'bitty' and I'm not talking breast milk (you wont have a clue unless you watch the TV show, Little Britain.)
I need to concentrate on one element at a time and finish it but as you can imagine I am so very bored now of painting troops and marines. Well, that's not strictly true, I still enjoy it but I want them done so as to move on to other elements my mind is on.

Dinner tonight is Landy and Rhino stew. I've got big plans for that landy!

Got a couple more of these to go with the Rhinos as per the other one so I can have a set of 3 matching razorbacks if I need.

All but finished the metal Dev Squad. Not my best work, a little rushed and lacking the love but I needed them done. The plan changed for the weapons. Full compliments of Laz cannons and H.Bolters but the range on the multi meltas in game is not great and far too short to be playing a dev squad with. So, I have plans for those 4 little beauties. As for the missile launchers, well, I couldn't make them fit and I didn't want to chop them up to nothing as I just could not make them sit on the metal figures satisfactorily, the only solution was to make another dev squad out of plastic. YaY more rank and file to paint. #fatigue

Got some tech marines rescued from ebay to act as gunners for thud gun etc as I don't like the plastic repose one I made. Need to sort them out some so that will be a nice bit of a change...

Edit: Just fixed these two up and the good one which is a double up I'll sell on to a good home.

I think I'll do a big push to get all the models/rest of the army ready and primed for some annual leave I've got coming up from work to get it all painted. I can do a batch paint session with the air brush and get the base coats done for one and all to minimise faf and fatigue.

JonAtron

I really didn't like how the Chaplain's banner looked, every time I saw it, it annoyed me. It was one of the new ones with some of the detail already sculpted on. Not very rogue trader. I went back to the old paper, only I use a little photoshop magic to make his own custom banner AND the flag from the artwork last stand. (Just need to bend that about a little more to make it look less paper stiff.) The anniversary marines one I found online and just resized it. Magnatised the backpack banners for easy storage. Only thing I don't like about paper banners is that they look so, well, cut out paper banner, you know what I mean?

I've spent the rest of the time getting everything I had left/wanted to keep ready. i.e a combination of glued, posed, based, repaired, customised, undercoated. A shooty termi squad with choice of assault cannon or cyclone launcher. 2 more librarians to make me a trio. Another Inquisitor because why not. The two tech marines to act as gunners. An assassin, where? The rtb1 dev squad for the missile launchers. And the other bits you can see. After all that I will complete the army with a Landraider (below) and x2 rhinos.

At some point, probably when I am fatigued of painting I have me a side project. Fresh out of the cook pot. I'll leave the parts of whats to be for your assumptions.

The brotherhood grows slowly. I never expected it to take me this long or end up as big AND still growing. To some extent I got a bit carried away buying the odd bits here and there but in the notion that all this will be kept so that in another 20 years when it's all truly ancient and items are starting to get a little harder to find, I'll be the proud owner of this modest collection. I loved it when I was a kid playing 2nd and 3rd edition seeing the 'oldies' playing with this stuff in the hobby shop and thinking it was cool and old and different then! In another 20 years when its 50 years on its going to really look ancient in comparison.Really 10,000 years in the past. Maybe when I have kids I'll pass it down to them... meh, like hell I will. I'll strip it and paint it all again! :grin:

P.S As a side note, I found the other day having given all the finished army a good matt spray varnish, pleased as punch it wont chip with all the top heavy falling over the metal models do. That it really toned down the highlight colour and highlighted blending not only making it look matt but the colour a little flat? I looked this up on the Googles and apparently this is a thing. Le sigh. Honestly, why can we be psychic and know these things before the event. I'm not going back over it all and highlighting and blending in again. Its table top standard that going to get a little bashed about when played with so... GrrrrRRRRRR damn it.

jon_1066

For the true old school banner you need to wait until you have finished a tube of tomato puree then use the foil from the tube to make the banner. You can paint it and shape it but it will stay flat as well. You really need to wash it well though otherwise your Crimson Fist will smell slightly of margarita.

Shinnentai

Great stuff! I think you may as well go for the full battle company now, eh? ;)

Banners are all looking cool - I think the Chaplain's one is my favourite.

Land Raider is going to be an Achilles I guess?

JonAtron

Thanks for the tip with the banners, I will definitely give that a go. Sounds like a perfect solution to give it the right look!

Full battle company lol :grin: :) :geek: Well, now that yo say it, we are over half strength. And yes to the Achilles. :grin:

JonAtron

A trio of Techmarines. Just about finished these two. Just got a little tidy up and a matt varnish. I think the Techmarines are my favourite sculpts. They really tell a story and unlike the modern counterparts, actually look like they could fix something in the field.

JonAtron

Relic Contemptor Dread all but done. Just need to weather/wear a little and varnish. I've been a bit braver with the contrast. In my inexperience and want for a more real-ish look I've not been confident enough and found that once varnished and stood back from, it disappears looking a little flat. Not this time.

I've still not painted up all those troops yet. I'll leave them be. I'm going to make tanks!

JonAtron

RT Land Raider Achilles in progress.

I didn't want to cut up a perfectly good top section of Land Raider so I thought I'd try my hand at plasticard and see how bad that goes. So far it seems to be going ok.
Built the LR, found and made the best magnet points (was a right trial, error, faf.) Magnetise both standard and Achilles tops so that I can play the tank as a standard LR or as Achilles variant.

Due to the tracks and wheel bolts sticking out a little, you cant just drop the lid in from the top. I had to stick the tank together tight but leave 1mm either side wide at the front between the body and tracks so that the lids slide in from the front and snap firmly to the magnets without leaving big gaps. Well pleased!

JonAtron

Re: Crimson Fists - Rogue Trader Space Marines

Had a real problem with the side guns all because I don't want to adulterate them but I DO want them maganatised. I'm really not that keen on them to be honest. If I just drilled and pinned them it would have saved me half a day of fiddling, trial and error and to compound the problem, my bits box is growing ever smaller. Whats available simply trumps what I want to do or would look better, so its been a bit of a pain. Anyway, this is the crude answer I came up with. A cut up oil can for the magnet to sit in, supper glued/putty the guns to it... shit, it sticks but suffers from gunner droop due to the weight and pivot point of the magnet. So I put a pin in to catch the sponson and stop it from dropping. Crude but works, cant be seen and allows for easy weapon on/off to swaps. If I had more junk bits to play with I'd definitely come up with something better. But it works.

Between the two LRs I finally had a pair of the original LR Heavy Bolters so I made the twin linked HB every Land Raider shouldn't leave home without.

And of course a storm bolter for the Achilles. I mean if your going to spend a ton of points on it to play it in a game, whats a couple more. In for a penny in for a pound. Also finnished off the top details. Again it was a make do and mend with what I had but for my first simple venture into plasticard. I'm pleased with it. I also used super glue and kitchen paper to make a dust skirt for the Quad launcher opening.

JonAtron

Re: Crimson Fists - Rogue Trader Space Marines

The LR is all primed and ready for paint but before I get the battle station all cleaned up of bits and dust, there is something else I want to build.

A Rhino, or more a take on the Sisters of Battle Repressor. I can't get one of these on the old style Rhino chassis for love nor money, not ever sure if they made it for the original one. But, see, I've got my standard Rhinos, I've got my Techmarine/Engineers one, so for something different to look at on the field, the extra hull space would make for a great field apothecarium, aka Ambulance.

Back