painting bases with inks

As promised in my wip topic;

I use wallfiller to build up volume to the base, but it can also be done with a mixture of gypsum, woodglue(pva) and sand.
Or multiple layers of woodglue and sand (let each layer dry though before placing the next)

Then I added woodglue, sprinkled small stones, and then sand.
After that has dried a thinned mixture of woodglue (pva) , water and some washing up liquid/soap is drenched over this, this will harden the structure and keep most of the added sand and rocks better in place.

I then painted the bases black, after the bases had properly dried from being soaked (takes a day).

1.jpg

drybrushed them with a beige colour

2.jpg

then I made the base wet with water, you can do this with a brush or dip them in water.

4.jpg

I picked several inks ; yellow, green, dark green, sepia and brown. Use these pure, don't thin them.

3.jpg

First I add randomly, yellow to the wet base, after that green, then dark green. later on I added yellow again over it randomly. after that I added sepia ink, and after that brown ink, added some yellow ink again after that.
It's just messing around with the inks, you can leave out the brown and sepia inks to have a more vidid green base as I did with the woodelves.

5.jpg

6.jpg

You could afterwards after it has thoroughly dried, drybrush the whole thing with a beige colour again, that is up to personal preference.
just play around with inks, it's fun to do, fast and gives an ok result in my humble opinion.

cheers all

yeah, just make some test pieces, toy around with different colours,blues, purples, whatever you fancy, also mixing inks is interesting.
It's as said fun to do and something you can do easily in between things. :)

Tex

Great tips and amazing results, thank you very much for sharing.
I will try this on my next base.

Golgfag1

Nice job on the bases, may give that a try myself. But, I'll be honest, I'm more impressed by your 'Heath Robinson' ink palette/holder. 8-)

Paul/Golgfag1

Thanks people, I hope it will give you people some fun experimenting with this :)

Golgfag1 hahaha yes the palette holder is quite fun, I will make a small tutorial on that one as well. :)

Golgfag1":22qcnsaf said:
Nice job on the bases, may give that a try myself. But, I'll be honest, I'm more impressed by your 'Heath Robinson' ink palette/holder. 8-)

Paul/Golgfag1

I had to google the name of the dear man:)

he had some genius art hahaha, lover his later more fantastical serious stuff, amazing !

yeah I can imagine it may seem a bit over the top lol, but I can't stand dirty palettes, drive me nuts, so came up with this madness, fresh palette :) !!!

Thanks Zhu, the bigger bases are for the ogres I am working on at the moment. will do some more small more focused washes, ad some weathering powder and tufts. should be ok I think :)

Orjetax

I’m glad for this thread.

You’re results look great and prompted me to do some painting with inks over a light gray dry brush. Really happy with my results too.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back