Junes Fun Painting Challenge - Final Round up on page 23

Asslessman

Re: Junes Fun Painting Challenge

OK, Not exactly finished, these are missing a few spots of white here and there on gems and lenses and I didn't take varnish with me but they're a couple hours form finished (they will be on du time tomorrow)

The dread turned a little more coloured than what I wanted at the beginning, might want to erase a few details...
The terminator captain has a weird face I'm not happy with but the goat feet champion looks ice so I'm quite happy with those. (some close ups and better pics on the blog soon...

Attachments

• 2013-07-30 16.11.un.jpg
    2013-07-30 16.11.un.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 5,229
  • 2013-07-30 16.12.deux.jpg
    2013-07-30 16.12.deux.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 5,229
  • 2013-07-30 16.13.trois.jpg
    2013-07-30 16.13.trois.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 5,229

Asslessman":2nc7r248 said:
OK, Not exactly finished, these are missing a few spots of white here and there on gems and lenses and I didn't take varnish with me but they're a couple hours form finished (they will be on du time tomorrow)

They look great. What's your pale paint recipe for the head of the banner bearer in the top pic (chaos renegade)? I was thinking of using a similar colour for my chaos cavalry heads.

zedmeister

Nice showcase Asslessman.

Older chaos models look so much better than the current raft of melodramatic black metal fans that they've become. Proper other world biomechanical look to them.

Asslessman

Citadel Collector":1snnzcpo said:
They look great. What's your pale paint recipe for the head of the banner bearer in the top pic (chaos renegade)? I was thinking of using a similar colour for my chaos cavalry heads.

Thanks, the recipe is quite simple :
Base color : Dark flesh (Prince august) it does not look like a dark skin colour at all, it's closer to an more vibrant old elf flesh
Wash : devlan mud
Highlights : thinned dark flesh
and then thinned bleached bone (or any equivalent, I use the game colour one before moving on to the ushabti one)
and then very thinned white

When I want to take the time (which I did not in this case) I add matt medium when thinning the paint down

zedmeister":1snnzcpo said:
Nice showcase Asslessman.

Older chaos models look so much better than the current raft of melodramatic black metal fans that they've become. Proper other world biomechanical look to them.

Thanks and yes, I do agree with you, I may prove this point in the most objective way since after the RT renegades, I'm moving on the 2nd ed marines and so on, with always the same paint job and techniques to see which ones look the best.
These old renegades are the only ones so far which really look like they've spent 10000 years in space seeking vengeance (Dark vengeance chosens are really good in this too, just my taste).

Oh and by the way, the dark spots on the bases are supposed to be some sort of oil leaks or disgusting liquid but it needs gloss or any watery effect to pop out...

Fimm McCool

Y'know, I always thought Tyrell's (from Combat Cards, second from right in top photo) tentacles were a sloppy conversion attempt by an early Citadeller... didn't realise it was a part of the actual model...

Asslessman

Fimm McCool":1iecf88m said:
Y'know, I always thought Tyrell's (from Combat Cards, second from right in top photo) tentacles were a sloppy conversion attempt by an early Citadeller... didn't realise it was a part of the actual model...

Well it's true these tentacles are not the best looking I've ever seen but they look sufficiently organic and chaotic for the purpose I guess ;)

I've finished the minis this afternoon (apart from the varnishing) and added a temporary banner on the captain (before having a greater idea) designed for the sole purpose of finishing this painting challenge and crafted/painted in 40 minutes (hence the pigeon looking eagle...).
Thank you Orlygg for your banner tutorial btw. Tried it here and it gave me the will to try some more with more elaborate designs.

I finished the lenses on the dread but still not very glad with them.

Attachments

• 2013-07-31 21.21.08.jpg
    2013-07-31 21.21.08.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 5,189

Fimm McCool

Against the odds I have finished painting my marines today and even got some back banners done. But since I have no camera handy to take pics I guess that didn't really happen!

Asslessman

Fimm McCool":2oldwk73 said:
Against the odds I have finished painting my marines today and even got some back banners done. But since I have no camera handy to take pics I guess that didn't really happen!
No that's OK, I'm sure John will let you have the points for the banners...with a penalty for being late! Mwahahaha

Harry

No one said anything late penalties.
I'm on Holiday and won't be back until next week. :cry:

Blue in VT

Alright...well my main camera seems to be possessed right now and is not working properly so you will have to settle for some rather hasty iPhone shots...and a crappy WIP movement tray in the picture...but here is my June unit. They seem to have misplaced their banner somewhere....

E1BBC8BF-125C-46FB-9CEA-C9FBDF31393E-576-0000008EB904FC51_zps5460f915.jpg

BB1B76A0-7437-494D-BAD3-3C6F9C4C4646-576-0000008EC2C47E84_zpsd01335ed.jpg

E88D2274-6ABD-429D-B465-27499D5EB224-576-0000008EC8C258FF_zps7552132c.jpg

A616E0CC-15E5-4847-8619-05CB0EECFB7D-576-0000008ED0CC1317_zpsb1ba9cb9.jpg

So these guys came out fairly well..but they are my least favorite of the infantry sculpts from this range...too much armor and not enough cloth to make a 3rd color possible...they jus don't stand out like the other units...until you see them from the back anyway...which reminds me that .I still need 3 more shields...anyway they're done...for now...;)

Cheers,

Blue

axiom

Asslessman":1xixednw said:
the goat feet champion looks nice
I love the red and checks - one of my favourite models painted brilliantly! Rest of the warband is cracking too.

Blue - nice work on those Bretts - you must be nearing a sizeable force now right?

Blue in VT

Everybodies units are looking great. I love "events" like this I find them to be a great motivator...that gentle (mental) nudge it takes to get to the painting table and put paint to lead. Keep up the great work all.

Thanks for the comments on my group of Brets...I'm not afraid to say I'm happy to see the end of this unit for now...they just didn't excite me as much as the others. But they are ready for the table and that's the goal right?!

Yeah this "army" is getting pretty decent sized now...two melee units of 15 two missle units of 18 and 7 of the light cav (mounted yeomen)...once I finish the 10 knights I'm working on at the moment it will be time for a group shot. After that I will be adding to the mtd yeomen unit as I find models and working up a few character models....then I'll be officially done with a project for once!

It's the kind words and the community spirit on this forum and ones like it that keep me going!

Cheers to you!

Blue

Very nice unit!! I actually like the fact that it has a lot of armour and less colour. They look like they mean business!

Thantsants

Bit of a failure for me I'm afraid this month.

Pathetic excuse - as the wife has been out on midwifery placement (usually between 6am and 9.30pm) I've been on full time childcare this past couple of weeks. That coupled with digging up the whole back lawn because the dog had turned it into the Somme and then laying a grass paving system and shifting half the earth I originally moved back onto the lawn to hopefully dissuade him from diffing it up again has left me without much energy for painting. :roll:

As I don't want to rush them - they'll have to look their best for the Rumble in the Jungle! - I'll roll them over into the August challenge along with Snart and F'yar.

Congratulations to all who've produced some great looking units this month 8-)

Fimm McCool

There are loads of them... I think you'll be forgiven for making that a 3-month project!

Thantsants

Cheers Fimm - sounds like another good excuse ;)

They're coming on holiday with me so they should be done in the next couple of weeks...

Back