twisted moon's 2017

twisted moon

as expected, productivity has dropped off greatly. finally managed to finish these fantasy warriors orc conversions however.

only five more to do to finish this unit.

Attachments

• Orc Spear4a.JPG
    Orc Spear4a.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 3,101
  • Orc Spear4b.JPG
    Orc Spear4b.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 3,101

twisted moon

the final conversions are proving hard going, mostly because i'm not that inspired by them. in the meantime i placed another order with ral partha europe, mostly of dwarfs but also including the heartbreaker daemons sculpted by kev adams. i've based them for frostgrave as that's where they're most immediately likely to see action. they'll also get used wherever there's a reason for daemons to be summoned.

i'll use these ones as imps in frostgrave:

... and i'll use these as minor daemons:

any suggestions for a readily available, reasonably priced major daemon to complement these? or failing that, some appropriate wings to attach to this: http://www.scotiagrendel.com/Products/i ... ts_id=2763?

Attachments

• Daemons.JPG
    Daemons.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 3,066
  • Daemons-Imps.JPG
    Daemons-Imps.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 3,066
  • Daemons-Minor.JPG
    Daemons-Minor.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 3,066
Those are some nice imps! For a moment, I thought that the two smaller ones were converted Squigs from the 90s :) I do think that the "Ever Hungry" from Scotia Grendel would fit very nicely with the others. Wings from a demon prince or something like that would look great, but don't know where to get some for a reasonable price.

Fuxxx

Nice, now I finally know where this Squig-Demon-Thing I have laying around for years is from :grin:

twisted moon

LilBroGrendel":3ser54l1 said:
Those are some nice imps!

heartbreaker did some lovely figures; they're one of my favourite ranges. i saw a kickstarter a month or two back from a different company to bring back the range; whilst they had a few additional figures, i hope this doesn't mean ral partha europe will have to cease production.
this week i've continued to ignore the final orc spear conversions and have instead painted these trolls; again from my recent rpe order:

the middle one is heartbreaker again, whilst the other two are from ral partha's own range. they're quite short compared to some of the more modern orcs i have, so i thought i'd raise them up on rocky plinths, for which i used soft polystyrene from pizza packaging (i think); i then used uhu to stick the integral bases to the plinths, which caused the polystyrene to melt. whilst not my intention, it has countersunk them quite nicely. here's a slightly different angle:

whilst they will again, most likely, first see use in frostgrave, i was unsure how to base them, as they may also see action with my goblinoids / fomorions. i finally decided to base them up to match the goblinoids, only to promptly forget / get carried away when i was actually painting the bases, so now they look more suited to a ruined urban environment. never mind, i'll still use them alongside the goblinoids as required.

Attachments

• Trolls1.JPG
    Trolls1.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 3,008
  • Trolls2.JPG
    Trolls2.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 3,008

twisted moon

symphonicpoet":2febxmmi said:
Neat skin tones on 'em.

thanks; nothing complicated, just a coat of valejo grey-green over a black base-coat, then used 'the dip'. once that varnish was dry I painted everything else and black-washed the entire figure.
since then, i've continued to ignore the conversions required to finish the orc spear unit and have made a start on harboth's orc archers, with a few hangers-on to bring the unit up to 30.

Attachments

• Orc Archers3.JPG
    Orc Archers3.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 2,909

twisted moon

the summer was mostly taken up preparing my scenario for tobcon (http://forum.strike-to-stun.net/viewtopic.php?t=5835), but i have managed to get a bit done since my last update. here's my take on the mausoleum for frostgrave.

the roof comes off to allow placement of figures inside, if required. i'd like to add a altar, once i can find a suitable piece.

Attachments

• Mausoleum1.JPG
    Mausoleum1.JPG
    240.2 KB · Views: 2,694
  • Mausoleum2.JPG.tar.gz
    254.1 KB · Views: 109
  • Mausoleum3.JPG
    Mausoleum3.JPG
    184.4 KB · Views: 2,694

twisted moon

i also painted up these chests as treasure markers (again primarily for frostgrave).

the one on the far right will also double as a black ark (as per 'vengeance of the lichemaster' from citadel journal spring '86) for my skaven.

Attachments

• Treasure chests.JPG
    Treasure chests.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 2,693
  • Black Ark.JPG
    Black Ark.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 2,693

twisted moon

then i worked on this church from timeline miniatures (https://www.timelineminiatures.co.uk/). from these pictures it looks as though i need to do a bit more work on the walls.

it will give some more decent height options in frostgrave, and other games for which i use ruins.

Attachments

• Temple1.JPG
    Temple1.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 2,693
  • Temple2.JPG
    Temple2.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 2,693

twisted moon

finally, as a palette cleanser i've been painting these foundry street violence figures. they'll form part of my rogue trader setting in the caribbean viii sector, as well as be used in other games like future wars and dark future '28. i have some buildings ready for caribbean viii, but not on terrain boards yet; these figures are based to match these future terrain boards.

Attachments

• Juno's Crew.JPG
    Juno's Crew.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 1,813
  • Sergei's Korporation.JPG
    Sergei's Korporation.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 1,813
  • The Mob.JPG
    The Mob.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 1,813

twisted moon

not managed to get much done since my last update, but here is my contribution to this year's orctober.

Attachments

• Skullcrusher1.JPG
    Skullcrusher1.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 1,759
  • Skullcrusher2.JPG
    Skullcrusher2.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 1,759
  • Skullcrusher3.JPG
    Skullcrusher3.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 1,759

twisted moon

twisted moon":qrt0inhg said:
the final conversions are proving hard going, mostly because i'm not that inspired by them.

orctober provided the inspiration to finish the conversions to the last figures of my orc spear unit. here they are:

the standard bearer and musician are from kallistra; here they are compared to the original versions which form part of the two-handed weapons unit:

repositioning the sword on the standard bearer was hard work and required me to sculpt the scale armour on the front of his 'skirt' as (obviously) there was no detail behind it, as well as repair the damage done to his legs. it might be time to get some proper sculpting tools, as i think my skills may be developing and i might have been able to do a better job with something other than a penknife blade and cocktail stick. I also had to more or less create the left side of the sword blade, and that turned out very well. i used milliput for this, since that's properly oldhammer, but do you think procreate is better even for those with extremely limited skills?
Here is the whole unit, including those i painted before this year:

i'm tempted to get another five of these in the more renaissance style, including another standard bearer and musician, and split them into two units of twenty. however, that won't be for 2017, as the decks are now cleared of greenskins for the start of deadcember.

Attachments

• Orc Spear 5a.JPG
    Orc Spear 5a.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 1,715
  • Orc Spear 5b.JPG
    Orc Spear 5b.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 1,715
  • Orc Spear unit.JPG
    Orc Spear unit.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 1,715

twisted moon

i managed to get these finished in the evenings last week: copplestone castings fw16 bio-chem squad. i'd done everything aside from the gas mask lenses, guns and bases in september, before setting them aside for orctober. sneaking them in before the end of november has helped further clear the decks for deadcember.

these are imperial army left behind to garrison planetary defence systems installed by a passing rogue trader who claimed the caribbean viii sector for the human imperium. the intention is to add the grenadier future skirmish equivalents/originals to make us up a full squad of ten; i'd also like to get a ramshackle game iron grumbler, or original rogue trader rhino to provide transport.

Attachments

• Biochem1.JPG
    Biochem1.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 1,648

twisted moon

here's my contribution to deadcember; photo's showing how it looked at the start of the month can be found in the deadcember thread: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=13576.

Attachments

• Skeletal Mammoth finished3.JPG
    Skeletal Mammoth finished3.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 1,568
  • Skeletal Mammoth finished4.JPG
    Skeletal Mammoth finished4.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 1,568
  • Skeletal Mammoth finished5.JPG
    Skeletal Mammoth finished5.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 1,568

twisted moon

so, 119 figures and two terrain tiles completed in 2017; not too bad a tally, although my photography skills don't seem to have improved over the year.

Back