Crimson Fists - Rogue Trader

Show us what you are working on at the moment

Moderator: Moderators

Post Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:31 pm

Re: Crimson Fists - Rogue Trader

@ardyer They worked out well, hold position fine, snap on good. I highly recommend it. Makes for easire storage of the tank and weapon swaps for gaming. The plastic twin laz cannons are only light too. Heres a picture of where I mounted the magnets. Good strong single magnets for the win. The inside of the guns were damaged with glues and melted and the plastic stalks that hold them to the mount were broken so it wasn't much of a loss or risk. In fact it was a perfect solution.

I did try two close set magnets in the pred turret mod but playing around with it I went back to one, as the magnetised weapons seems to always want to snap to one magnet or the other and not stay centred. I've also done the pred side mounted laz cannons for the same reasons. I didn't do the whole sponsons as I wanted them to stay original looking and not full of putty or boxed in to hold/hide magnets. Two magnets one top and bottom and same on the guns. They snap in and hold position well.

As well as tank tinkering (just got a bit more sanding to do then I'll prime them.) I've been sorting out these poor bits of plastic to try and make one complete tactical squad. :? Scalpel surgery to the max. I've got lots of bits but they are all so shitty and bust up, melted, etc. You might just see in the back ground of the LR the partial result in work.

Thanks for the posts though always nice to read peoples thoughts and ideas! :)

Post Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:43 pm

Thanks for the close up pics! You've really given me something to think about... Especially considering the money I paid for the on sprue land raider, I really don't want it breaking!

Post Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:35 pm

@ardyer If you've got an on sprue land raider (with box?) I would dare say, keep it that way. Might just be enough money in it one day to retire on :D

I think I am a little envious :) You'll be able to build it juuust right with crisp joins and no gaps and all the parts... if you build it at all. The asking prices of mint LRs (not that they seem to be selling at that) are forge world prices :D

I'd love to see your progress if you do!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I've finished the tanks as best I can and I've primed them with Halfords grey primer. I've used the white before to prime the minis from Zombicide and Mice and Mystics to great effect. £7.50 for a 500ml can. I used grey instead of white so that when I pre shade it, I'm hoping the transition from grey to black will be much more subtle than from black and white through the base coat. That said its quite a dark grey. Any airbrush pros here to give advice? I'm quite the newbie.

I've almost finished the plastic RT tactical nostalgia squad. I've done a little bit of customisation with the Sarg in a ode to the cover of Rogue Trader. The hand and scanner so the marine is actually looking at it and a pointing finger marine. Bit of knife and magic putty work. Just need to finish a few little details, tidy up, then they will be undercoated.

Post Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:12 pm

you're pretty damn good at this. looking forward to seeing them painted.

Post Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:38 pm

@jonatron He'll no! I've wanted to build and paint one of these since I was young. I didn't pay that much to resell it ;)

Post Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:37 pm

Been slow progress of late but I'm enjoying the journey not the destination. Lots to learn about airbrushing. Not had or used one until this project but I'm keeping it basic and with trial and error slowly getting a result I'm happy with.

The plastic tactical squad is all but done, Just need to source a bolter for the Sarg. I had a few spare body bits to make a tank rider as a nod to the metal counter parts. I've undercoated them (no pic) and they look alright.

As for the tanks. I've base coated them with a colour I'm finally happy with and enough depth/shade to the coat so that its not flat. I didn't want garish high lights and I don't have confidence/skill/reliable airbrush to get too technical (yet). Blue ink down and now I'm just working the Raider. It's an old tank, I want to show its been used for a long time but I don't want it looking like old scrap. Its been cared for, had a new coat of paint at some point etc. After all its a venerable relic.

Post Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:12 pm

Slowly 'chipping away' at it.

Post Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:13 am

Chipping looks great, is it chipped or painted effect to simulate chipping. Either way it looks rock solid.
Great work giving miss-treated plastic new life ;)

Post Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:01 pm

Thank you. It's painted by brush. I've seen the rusty brown base coat and chipping fluid or hairspray techniques and it looks truly amazing when done right. But being brand new to airbrushing and trying to tread that line between interesting paint to look at, skill level and covering damaged plastic I thought i'd keep it as simple as I could. I know the chipping look is a bit of a 'craze' at the mo, but I like it and the rust is more necessity/cover up than aesthetic.

Juuuuuuust in case anyone was interested...

Damaged plastic :cry:

Undercoat edges showing through :?

Old metal (you could use a brighter silver for fresh scratches and stop here) :(

Watered down rusty red colour ;)

Little orange (dryish brush) :)

Little shading/ink for the top of the dent line and deep rust. :D

Post Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:45 pm

The tanks are mostly finished, just a touch up/clean up here and there. I've not got any Crimson Fist water slide transfers and GW/Forgeworld have stopped doing them grrr. (As in the red fists, don't want black ones.) So when I get some I'll add them and weather them in.

Time, when I get some time, to work on some troops.
PreviousNext

Return to WIP