• Welcome to the Golden Gobbo painting competition. If you'd like to read some of the ancient history you can on the Realm of Chaos 80s blog.

This competition is held some years and you'll find threads here describing how to enter and when the competition is running (typically after BOYL each year).

Other than the fame and wonderment of your peers there is often a prize kindly donated and you'll have the wonder of being awarded badges for your profile here.

Golden Gobbo Revivals

Fimm McCool

I propose a resurrection of the Golden Gobbo painting competition.

I think when it first ran the summer was given over to painting and the voting happened in October. Since it's late into the summer now I propose voting begins on November 1st, with the winner announced on the 1st December. I also propose the following criteria-

There is no theme or limit on the model you can pick, but the model must be a single fantasy or sci-fi figure (additional 'decorative' figures such as snotlings, nurglings and giant's victims are allowed) of "28mm" scale.
Remember people will be judging on Oldhammeriness so bear that in mind when choosing a subject.
The model should be based for gaming. You can put this on a display stand, but keep any decoration to the base itself.
Your model should be something freshly painted, preferably for the contest, rather than something you already have done.
You will need to supply 2-4 photos of the model against a plain background. These should show it from different angles to give the viewer an all-round view of the model.
You may supply 2 photos of the model in a scenic setting and a paragraph of no more than 100 words giving the background of the character if you wish.
Photos may be posted on this thread, we trust everyone likes everyone else enough that this will not descend into a 'popularity contest'. WIP photos here and in other areas of the forum are also welcome as an incentive to other entrants.
A separate thread will be posted on November 1st with a poll for voting. Each member will get one vote.
Voting will close at midnight on November 30th and the winner will be announced on December 1st.
There will be a trophy and a prize for the winner, aside from the usual forum appreciation of course!

Let brushing commence!

Blue in VT

I'm on board for this...

though I propose one additional rule...No Scenic Bases! This forum is geared toward gaming and therefore the base should be something that can actually be used on the table...not an art display of it own.

Cheers,

Blue

Fimm McCool

Agreed. A decorated base is fine (and to be expected) but the model should be based on something you would use to game with it on the tabletop. Putting THAT on a wooden plinth is fine, but the decoration should be kept to the base.

BTW Blue, can we make this thread visible on the forum board? I can't find it navigating from the home page.

Blue in VT

Sure...Done.

When/if we finalize things we should post the actual contest thread int he Golden Gobbos Forum....and maybe a link in the painting challenges board as well.

Cheers,

blue

****MOVED BACK DO TO LACK OF ACCESS FOR MANY USERS******

Fimm McCool

snorri":r45i3v2r said:
Count me in! I will prepare a dwarf or an ork. What would be the deadline, 31 october?

Yes, but if you can get stuff in earlier that will minimise the delay in getting the voting thread set up.

Perhaps overly optimistically, I'm going to try my hand at this.

Out of curiosity, what counts as a "scenic base"? I'd conceived of basing the figure I'm painting atop a mound of corpses, but still on a normal base for games.

Fimm McCool

TristramEvans":2hg4l6kv said:
Out of curiosity, what counts as a "scenic base"? I'd conceived of basing the figure I'm painting atop a mound of corpses, but still on a normal base for games.

I'm going with this definition over the ambiguous term 'scenic base'. Feel free to disagree but for the sake of argument take this as the competition definition:
The model should be based for gaming. You can put this on a display stand, but keep any decoration to the base itself.

eg.- Don't take a 'human-sized' infantry model and stand it atop a pile of slate on a 40mm base with lichen rambling out to a radius of several inches. The idea is to keep the focus on the model itself. Bases, as we know, add a great deal to the completed effect and that is fine, just make sure the figure remains the stand-out element.

TristramEvans":ahztiwxu said:
Perhaps overly optimistically, I'm going to try my hand at this.

Out of curiosity, what counts as a "scenic base"?

Any and every base that looks better than mine. So, if it's got more than Goblin Green paint on it, it's scenic ;)

UrchinJoe

Ah this is awesome, I only found this forum long after the last Golden Gobbo, would love to enter something.

I've hardly found any time to paint for a few weeks, and I reckon it'll get worse before it gets better. If time permits I'll try to do something C-series monster-sized. If it doesn't then I will try to enter something much smaller!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

connexion

Mine's done:

iqWjWJR.jpg

cED9pyp.jpg

V2hfVyW.jpg

One of the Illusionist wizards from the C02 Wizards range, this was one of my "holy grail" miniatures after seeing it painted on the Heroes for Wargames book for the first time way back in '95. However, at the time, there was no way I could buy it so fast forward to 2016 when I bought it from someone on the OTC (don't remember who, unfortunately). In the meantime, I also found out he was on the cover of the battle magic book of WFB2nd - this and the HfW photo were the inspiration sources for this paintjob.

z7vTiw7.jpg

Cheers!

snorri

Nice miniature! Very good execution!

A question for the organizers: Is an Ogre allowed or is it too big?

Jeff McC

I thought I'd give this a go, here's a freshly painted Barakast Hell Rider as my entry. I ended up having to give up on daylight to get the photo, but I think I've managed to get a couple of decent shots in spite of it.

Attachments

• Barakast Hell Rider 1.JPG
    Barakast Hell Rider 1.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 4,624
  • Barakast Hell Rider 2.JPG
    Barakast Hell Rider 2.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 4,624
  • Barakast Hell Rider 3.JPG
    Barakast Hell Rider 3.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 4,624
Back