UrchinJoe's slow progress

UrchinJoe

Hi Everyone,

None of these really fit anywhere else on the forum (although I started the Ambull with a couple of bigger minis for Big April Challenge. It's June now so I am making progress pretty slowly). I had a weekend to myself while my wife's away for work, and a day off today after working the last bank holiday. So I got quite a lot of painting done and thought it would be nice to share.

The Ambull was the first mini I ever bought and painted. This one's a replacement, and I'm pretty pleased with him.

I got a load of the ever-popular Night Horrors for about £5.00 per head from eBay recently. They're simple, look pretty good even with just one colour and have loads of variety, so I've been using them to challenge myself to paint faster. I'm about halfway through a second batch of six, of 20 in total.

Not really 'old', but here's an orc from the Warlord Orc Sprue. Dirt cheap and looks like it walked straight out of Ralph Bakshi's LOTR. I painted this as close as I could to the piece on their website, because I liked it and didn't feel creative.

Hope you like them! More to come, maybe in August.

Joseph.

Attachments

• Ambull.jpg
    Ambull.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 6,576
  • Night_Horrors_1.jpg
    Night_Horrors_1.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 6,576
  • Warlord_Orc.jpg
    Warlord_Orc.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 6,576
Great paintjobs. I also like the base of the Ambull with all the putty and colored lichen. It must be a nice feeling to have painted the first mini you ever bought (even though it's a replacement) :)

UrchinJoe

Thanks for the comments everyone! I've finished off another six Night Horrors, mostly using or adapting formulas I've used before - grey wraiths, red devils and green ghost. I'm particularly pleased with the brown fur on the wearbear (using modern GW paints, it's Rhinox Hide, washed with Nuln Oil and drybrushed with Verminlord Hide, then picking up the details using Ratskin Flesh, Bestigor Flesh and Ungor Flesh).

Attachments

• Night_Horrors_2.jpg
    Night_Horrors_2.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 6,383

UrchinJoe

I've spent a couple of weeks working on my most recent D&D character, Tcheh'Rul the Sea-Bear, a half-orc barbarian pirate. She died last week,
which is a shame, but at least I get to paint something new now. The mini is Warmonger Miniatures 'Bloody Magda the Malodorous Queen'.
I've not seen any painted examples of this other than the one on their website, and figured it might be of interest here (even though it's not very old).

sea-bear.jpg

Plaiecivile

This is like a niche, inside a niche, part of a sub genre... :ugeek:
You managed to bring out all of those unusual details of that half orc very nicely and the sea shell on the base is a great addition.

good job!

UrchinJoe

Thanks Plaiecivile! This was a lot of fun to paint (and yeah, to find in the first place!). I'm getting pretty comfy in my current orc skin formula so it's probably time to mix it up and try something new.

I've been off work this week so had a chance to be really productive with my painting. I've finished a couple of long-delayed pieces, including two (well one and a half really) from the Greenskin Wars Kickstarter. More pics from different angles will follow on my blog but for now, here's what I've been up to. A troll and wolf from Greenskin Wars, and an old chaos sorcerer from the 80s. I am intensely proud of the troll, I think it might be my best paint-job to date.

troll_front.jpg

wolf_sorcerer_front.jpg

I'm off work until Monday, recovering after a big tattoo session this morning, and my wife's in Italy so hopefully more progress on more minis later in the week!

UrchinJoe

I've been working on this C29 manticore for months, getting the blending just right. Finally finished and I'm really pleased with the result! There's a load more pictures on my blog, here.

manticore_right.jpg

UrchinJoe

Re: UrchinJoe's slow progress: Knightmare Goblins

I've been absent for a while due to work commitments, and focusing on painting instead of blogging about painting in my free time. That's changed now so I'll hopefully be posting my recent progress here (with more pictures of everything on my blog). First up: I've been working my way through Knightmare Miniatures' "Doom Goblins". I was aiming for an 80s-inspired paint job on 90s-inspired sculpts, and think I ended up with a kind of nu-metal circa 2000 vibe. Which I'm happy with.

doom_goblins.jpg

Finishing off the Knightmare Miniatures from my painting queue (although there are plenty more in my lead pile), a standard bearer, siege crew, and captain. I varnished three of them in too-hot, too-humid weather (causing frosting), but the bannerman survived. He's also probably my most successful attempt at old-school bright green skin.
goblin_group.jpg

And for completeness, a barbarian - I think this was the most recent mini I painted, about two months ago. He resisted being photographed (I think he believed it would steal his soul).
barbarian_front.jpg

JonAtron

very VERY nice work to look at. All those goblins just pop and keep the eye interested without being overwhelmed or busy. I really like it all.

UrchinJoe

Thanks JonAtron! I'm taking a break from Goblins for a bit, but I recently finished painting a mix of old dwarfs and chaos dwarfs which you might like, so I'll be posting some photos of them over coming weeks (and as normal, more on my blog).

Starting with this pre-slotta Citadel dwarf thief. She's the oldest miniature in my collection - I believe dating back to August 1983 so a few months older than me. It's a much simpler sculpt than the Knightmare Goblins above so it didn't take long at all to paint.

pre-slotta_front_right.jpg

portman

Class bit of painting that - well done. I love the spotty bag and I think the dress has come out really well.

UrchinJoe

Thanks Portman! The spotty bag was a late-night flash of inspiration. I wanted to add some detail, but not too much. Now, another week, another old Citadel dwarf... this one with a dragon.

dragon_dwarf_1.jpg

dragon_wings_2.jpg

dragon_rear_2.jpg

As usual, there are more photos on my blog - many more, this time, 'cos I'm pretty proud of this one!

Lands Annex

Totally amazing stuff! I think you are right, that troll is the best bit of painting I've seen in a while. I'd be seriously chuffed of I'd done that! Keep 'em coming!

Galpino

Love your goblins, and those butterfly wings are astonishing. Muted palettes be damned, those are some excellent bold miniatures! I'm going to check out your blog.

Plaiecivile

Wow! Your Monarch Dragon looks very good, nice free hand on a surface usually very plain!

It would be a perfect match for a troop of Wood Elves, or a Bretonnian regiment lead by a demoiselle wearing a robe in the same color pattern than the wings.

UrchinJoe

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. Galpino and Plaiecivile, your comments came on my birthday last year so especially good timing. "Monarch Dragon" is a great name for this one, and indeed I pictured it sitting among a troop of probably-never-to-be-painted wood elves!

For the last six months I've been absolutely buried with work, so I've neglected my blog, and this community, and even worse, haven't had time to paint anything. But I still have some of the minis I painted last year to share, my take on some old Chaos Dwarfs. As usual there are more photos on my blog - a lot more in this case, about 30 pictures I guess. If I can remember how to link properly!

chaos_dwarf_renegades.jpg

Back