Big April Challenge - '18

vonkortez

Re: Big April Challenge - '17

I wasn´t planning on painting him yet but I just might join in and at least start putting some paint on.

He is a Louis Marx & co 1963 Caveman that I got as a free bonus when I bought a big job lot of goblinoids a couple of moths ago. I added some shields and bandages to him on sprayed him black. He stands about as tall as a Marauder giant. I have another one from the same series that I have no use of. PM me if interested.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/...V3d1L4VhXSDlmLqf2MDf1mZA0OIQbyAv_Z4BOX4xG9zNg
Just an example, my one is unpainted.

UrchinJoe

Progress!

I spent most of the weekend assembling the big Mierce cyclops (actually about the same size as a Marauder giant so not huge, as giants go). I've pinned everything except his horns and the base details (mostly from Battleforge) with Araldite; for those I just used superglue. There's some work needed to tidy up the joints but he's more-of-less assembled. I was also working on a second Russian Alternative troll of chaos, which I've made a real balls up of so far - pinned an arm at the wrong angle so had to build up a big gap with Araldite, and snapped both his ankles somehow - one of them I wasn't even touching at the time! I've done what I can to brace the weak points and I'll have to quickly learn how to sculpt over the rough areas. I'm thinking of Nurgling him up a bit because I'm terrible at sculpting and buboes seem like they'd hide a multitude of sins.

I've blocked out the colours on Kifaro. He's been intimidating me by virtue of being a limited edition, and also I think the biggest mini I've tackled (prior to the cyclops). I didn't pin him. His hands are pretty short and have two points of contact with the main bulk of the miniature, and his arm seemed to lock in place really neatly. After getting the paint on I realised there's a mold line right on his nose, so I'll have to cover that up or file it away and re-prime and paint that area.

Lastly, I've assembled, primed and laid down the base layer and a very heavy wash on my ambull. I made the fungi and spores on the base using green stuff.

Boromir and a Citadel gnome for scale.

Best,

Joe.

Attachments

• UrchinJoe_Big_April_Progress_1st_Weekend.jpg
    UrchinJoe_Big_April_Progress_1st_Weekend.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 3,828

Very cool!

My Big April challenge/theme is going slow. But I got a little work done...

BigApril17b_zpsdf8tptwq.jpg

Thank you. My favorite part about painting giants is being able to experiment more on the flesh.

Almost done with that Tom Meier Cloud Giant...

20170411_235722_zpsw8ily1gy.jpg

Snuck in some time to hide in the basement today (Easter) like a sneaky troll and finish up the old Citadel C28 giant. He was missing a weapon, so I sculpted him a new club. I was originally going to be satisfied with just one of these multi-piece giant, but I think I would like to get all three bodies.

c28a1_zpsfavp5ydu.jpg

c28a2_zpsdo0g9mfb.jpg

symphonicpoet

Out of curiosity, is that a particular tartan? I used the Clan MacLeod hunting tartan for a miniature with a Scottish look about her once. And yours looks a little like one called the "Carolina Tartan", were I to simplify it for miniaturization purposes. (As I did to the poor MacLeod girl.) Anyway, the plaid is lovely and his eyes look fantastic. These giant guys are going nowhere but up!

Thanks!

The tartan was just made up on the fly. Honestly, I feel like I've done better (and on smaller figures!) but I'm OK with how he turned out.

As far as the bases, I should give credit to... Shadows Edge, from whom I bought the flowery, heathery tufts, and DeafNala from the Lead Adventure forum, who sent me some assorted mushrooms. The taller, more whimsical/interesting 'shroom one is one of his.

symphonicpoet

Hey, I'm jealous of the tartan, but maybe the fact that it's a giant would help some. But honestly, I think you can paint circles around me anyway. So . . . suck it up and take it, bub! ;)

Haha, thanks!

Painted up the last of the metal Citadel giants, before they switched to plastic/resin/whatever. A bit more "Middlehammer" -ish, but... it's a giant and out of production so :razz:

lcg01-ba17b_zpsxbrodpxe.jpg

lcg01-ba17a_zpswvg4zoja.jpg

I think this is the last giant I'm going to get done by the end of April -- the Tom Meier/Ral Partha fire giant, which I thought made a nice frost giant...

pixlr.jpg

I'm still working on the (not quite "oldhammer" but it has that same sort of charm to me) Warploque giant. Going to continue painting him past April, probably a little at a time. Almost done with the washes on the flesh...

wlq-wip-ba17-01.jpg

Rambling about these and more on my blog.... http://www.zerotwentythree.com/2017/04/ ... eyond.html

Here's what I managed to get painted for Big April '17:

ba17-050117_zpsfouiiaya.jpg

And a showing off progress shot of my painted giant collection so far (not strictly "oldhammer," obviously)....

Meat-giants...

meatgiants050117_zpsokkyn273.jpg

(I didn't paint the big Black Scorpion giant on the left.)

Skeletal giants...

skelegiants050117_zpsw5lhce30.jpg

And for the sake of completeness, my rat giant...

ratgiant050117_zpsssdz1kpr.jpg

Thanks. Not sure how serious my skills were... it was a bit of a learning experience. I was aiming for something with a (massively) enlarged & stylized look similar to the old Goodwin Skaven. Not sure I captured that, but I'm still fond of the figure as a first attempt at something large like that.

I added one last RP Meier giant to my collection. I was trying to get it before "Big April" ended, but missed out. Still, it didn't take too long to track one down for a reasonable price.

tmfg01_zpskrwuys16.jpg

And a shot of the three RP Meier giants together.

3tmg_zpsfwd3z6r1.jpg

...so far. Should I try to get the rest? I think these are some of the best of his giants from that period.

General painting note... I added a thin blue ink wash (Superman style?) to the newest giants hair & beard, and
think it really helped give the black/grey a bit of life and extra punch & contrast!

Gallivantes

ZeroTwentythree":2qwpq1f0 said:
Should I try to get the rest? I think these are some of the best of his giants from that period.

I for one would love to see that. I don't have insight into the full works of Tom Meier giants but if these are anything to go by then definitely yes. I love their physiques and expressions.

Lovely paintjobs to complement these characterful sculpts. The ruddiness of the faces are a nice touch, the booze glaze on the 3rd one being my favourite .

Back