Fuxxx' evergrowing Greenskin Horde

Fuxxx

Hi folks,
Here I intend to show you my Greenskins. I like the feel of the older models, so I use a lot of them, but often I mix them and the most recent ones in single units. You'll see what I mean. Maybe I'll even give you some Fluff, but since the forum I used to write it in is down at the time so I cant peek and I'd have to translate it first, it could get difficult...

My tribe is located where the Great Forest borders Sylvania. The Red Robbers, as the call themselves (Robbers sounds wrong, but Orcs need their alliterations) profit greatly from their location, since the Great Forest to the north supplies them with an everlasting amount of Spider Riders and occasionally even meaner things. To the east there is a huge system of swamps an marshes, full of giant lizards and Savage Orcs who hunt them for their red scales. Some of these migrate to the tribe, already well received not only because of their fighting prowess, but also for the vast amount of red most of them carry. From the open plains of Sylvania to the south hail the Wolf Riders and Goblins of the tribe, sometimes even the dreaded Dust Goblins, awoken from their graves by the foul magic of the land.
Besides the worship of Gork and Mork, the Red Robbers seem to have an obsession for the colour red. As they think it doesnt only make them faster, but also grants them strength and occasionally protectst them, should they be a weak Gobbo or so who needs it. As such, all red things only belong to the Greenskins and not to the puny humans, wo seem to be quite fond of the colour too, at least most of the minor (living) nobles of Sylvania often try to overcompensate how poor their province is by showing excessive wealth and wearing expensive red clothes. Every few months the Empire needs to send a new batch of hopefull new nobles to their newly aquired barren lands, since the Orcs have come to collect whats theirs. There still has to come one noble who'd lend the old women an ear, who say that red brings misfortune, even if they tend to think its because of Whights and Vampires which desire the equally red blood of the living.

Now to the pictures. I discovered 3 is the maximum, so only a few at a time. Now lets see if some of you take my mixing as heresy... But first things first I'll start with the Bowmen. Should be Citadel already since I didnt find them in the marauder catalogue:

A slight conversion: Käptn Skabend, the river pirate. After he stranded in the swamps next to the Red Robbers he found himself a new first mate there and now helps out with his river pirates. The mate is a Black scorpion model (so... not oldhammery at all) and probably will be shown the next days. The pirates themselves still need to be painted. Too many projects...

To end it of for today, the potential heresy: These boar riders are mixed from all periods. Lets see what you think.

Attachments

• IMG_20170412_094353645.jpg
    IMG_20170412_094353645.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 2,878
  • IMG_20170412_094442387.jpg
    IMG_20170412_094442387.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 2,878
  • IMG_20170412_094543953.jpg
    IMG_20170412_094543953.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 2,878

Gallivantes

Good to see an Orc army showcased here, there are the odd warband and solo figs currently but no big tribes massing for war (I think!)

I don't mind the mixing and/or new figures per se, I'm guilty of that myself. It's a great question to pose though as at the end of the day it's the Oldhammer forum after all, not any wargaming forum. If nine out of ten people posted only new plastics nine out of ten times I probably wouldn't be drawn to it as much as I am.

As I said I use a model mix myself, like plastics from midhammer monopose to newly produced kit of various brands to do my chaos conversions. My own "excuse" is that I aim for a RoC look and feel, thereby honouring the oldhammer label at the top of the page and it seems I'm getting away with it so far :) I have a single case of using new models "as-is", the Avatars of War Corruptors of the Apocalypse. But only because they have a good enough RoC chaos look out of the box.

Apart from the models though I also enjoy fluff and battle reports of the more vintage attitude, I also like when the games favour narrative and collective fun over tournament style obsessiveness over rules. What I'm saying is that it's not JUST about the miniatures. Your little tribal background bit was great fun to read and anchored it in the "right" time period and I think that takes much heat (if there is any) off your model choice.

It seems to me there is more than one way to give it an Oldhammer spin. The vast majority of posts here manage that at least one way or another and I think that's a good way to go.

I'm not a founder nor a veteran, less than a year on the forum. That's my view and I can only speak for myself. I couldn't say what everyone else thinks but I'd love to hear it. Again, very interesting question.

symphonicpoet

The fellow in red, is that Captain Skabend or his first mate? . . . Either way, he's a delightful model. I've seen lots of space ork pirates, but few fantasy ork pirates. Maybe none beyond yours. He's lovely! He's got that delightfully 18th century British look that all proper pirates are obliged by custom and the law of the silver (screen) sea to model. And your army looks like it's massing up for the battle of Wargincourt!. (All things orky require exclamation points, but we still need proper punctuation once style has been satisfied.)

Anyway . . . very nice! :) Thank you.

Fuxxx

Thanks for your thoughts Gallivantes. After reading them, I thought through this myself and came to the conclusion, that I'll post "controversial" stuff, as long as noone complains but sugarcoat it with stuff. So 2 safe and one controversial picture a day ;) . I dont have that much though. As long as the people are not taking offense over the most recent white metal giant (I really want a Marauder one... but with 6 giants at the moment its not a top priority) its going to be good :) . Most of my stuff should be Middlehammer, since I am only 22 and so my whole collection comes from stuff I find on the Internet, at the slow rate that happens, not only because of what stuff I discover, but also because of the funds availiable.

@symphonicpoet: It is the captain itself, a sturdy yet old Goblin. Allthough I think he would point fingers and proclaim his name to the first mate in an instant, if some stronger enemies would search for him ;). "Eh guys, take 'im! 'Es da capt'n, dont you gits see? Da legendary capt'n Skabend could never be an old git like me!" :grin: (Sadly I read most my Fluff in German. So orkspeech tends to be difficult for me). Mr. Skabend here is a conversion I partly adapted out of a white dwarf. There he was an enemy of Joseph Bugmann in a mini campaign and tried to get his greedy little hands on the beer, the dwarfes tried to transport with a steamboat. I used the red gobbo from Gorkamorka, like they did, but instead of a sword, I gave him a bony piece from the recent River Trolls and the hook is not self made like they did (I recall), but from the standart of the plastic chaos barbarians. This hook seemed me more appropriate due to its crude and mean-looking nature. Another hero from this campaign I imitated is Git Guzzla, a Warboss of the Goblins, represented just by Grom without his chariot. Works out well though. Now I just need a third Grom to mount on an unfortunate wolf :twisted:

Fuxxx

Well then, for today it is the Night Goblins:
These should be oldschooly enough, they are from Black Hat, sculpted by Kev Adams, sadly only 4 variations, not counting CSM. First time I tried to make my own banner, still a few white points left, have to correct that.

The controversial one for today, since I used newer parts. I wanted a unit of Goblin Chariots, so I had to build some for myself. And now they fit in with a Night Goblin army. Squig Chariots, beloved for the red colour of their "little" pets.

Last thing today is a hero. Looks tiny compared with the plastic goblins, but its a cute little bugger and he looks just mean enough to shout comments and orders enough to boss the bigger Gobbos around.

Attachments

• Gobbo 2.jpg
    Gobbo 2.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 2,820
  • Gobbo 1.jpg
    Gobbo 1.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 2,820
  • Gobbo 3.jpg
    Gobbo 3.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 2,820

symphonicpoet

I see no controversy here at all. Plenty of Kev Adams sculpts, both old and new, floating around on this board. Not sure if he himself is here, though it wouldn't surprise me. (Plenty of members in that neighborhood, some of whom toiled in the spiky donjon back in the day. Heck, some might still.) And the old-style from new . . . if that ain't oldhammer I don't know what is. You got squigs, you got night goblins, you got chariots . . . fair enough. They look fine and old to this mostly Rogue Trader fellow. Not sure if a squig powered chariot was done in the eighties, but if it wasn't it should have been. It's a keen looking model you got there. Nicely done!

Tuskerton

I like your night gobbos. If I ever finish painting up my dwarfs I might think about collecting orcs and gobbos as their adversaries!

Fuxxx

You cant see it properly on the picture, but I made a little cussion and fur to build a comfortable throne on the middle chariot, should ever a boss want to ride on it. Still, the unit contains a lot of newer things and even a 7. edition Gobbo, so not to oldschool. At least the Squigs are selfmade, except the legs of some (which are elven horse legs from the grinning ones... they had to be good for something). Has to be a special kind of running squigs.

I have to paint up a few marauder dwarfs I got once as a secret santa present sometimes. But with a few hundrets of Greenskins left that wont happen too soon. :mrgreen:

Today there will be Goblins (again), but everything, that today is labeled as normal Goblins, at leaste rule-wise. Starting with a bunch of wolf riders. I really love these Gobbos with their crooked little smiles. I have about 30 left, but no wolves for them to ride on :cry:

The one with newer elements for today is a unit of forest Goblins. I got some old ones with spiders way back, but there were only 4 on spider back, so not enough for a unit and a few ones on foot. Then I got some of the Arachnarok-crew, had a few trees and further scenery lying around and used a Squig Herder as musician. The old spiders are kind of cute, with massive teeth and sometimes fur. Sadly GW abandoned their comic look with the new, more realistic spiders. The Arachnarok is cool, but the normal spiders are a bit bland.

Of course they need a priest to get a proper connection to the big spider god. So they got a Forest Goblin Shaman:

Attachments

• Gobbo 4.jpg
    Gobbo 4.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 2,764
  • Gobbo 5.jpg
    Gobbo 5.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 2,764
  • Gobbo 6.jpg
    Gobbo 6.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 2,764

Gallivantes

I like that chaotic mob of forest gobbos. Good idea blending the spiders and the goblins and a bit of terrain, looks more dynamic and disorganised... proper goblin like :)

Lots of great models here - and some nice fluff for them too :) I like how you combine old and new models. Actually, I think that the new plastic boars look a lot like some of the illustrations from the 90s O&G army book. Oh, and I love that avatar of yours - a great little conversion :)

Fuxxx

@Gallivantes: At the beginning I only did it to get a proper amount of Goblins :grin:
@LilBroGrendel: Thanks, the conversion was one of my better ideas. Altogh its not that technacally good, I'll post a picture of him in a few days I think and you'll realy see, that my fingerprints are all over the bottle (maybe should have used some sandpaper to make it smoother) and the hat. But I like the guy, in my head hes a measly big talker who cant do anything at all and takes himself pretty serious. His name is Snorko da blatherer and if hes ever in a game hes the worst kind of orcish shaman I can use :mrgreen:

I'll finish up my painted Goblins today, with more Snotling stuff really... The 15 Base-horde of Snotlings I have consists of a lot of newer models, but their shaman, at least rule-wise a Goblins seems appropriate for this forum:
Since he's quite weak, he has a bodyguard. A Snotling as well, but well, who would have let himself down to protect the little bugger otherwise? He was one of the candidates for my profile picture as well.

He's pretty smart though and helped his mates to build something dangerous. Its one of my oldest conversions, but it kind of holds up with the other stuff (and I havent painted the original Pumpwagons yet).

But finally I have some real Goblins left. These are from the former crooked claw range, now named Greenskin wars. I'm still waiting on my stuff from the Kickstarter, spent a lot of money there, but the models are worth it. Shields are from different GW models. The skin tone doesnt fit in with my other Greenskins, because I experimented a bit. I still like them :)

Attachments

• More Gobbos 2.jpg
    More Gobbos 2.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 1,704
  • More Gobbos 3.jpg
    More Gobbos 3.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 1,704
  • More Gobbos.jpg
    More Gobbos.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 1,704

Fuxxx

Hey guys,
another batch of photos coming in. First of a closer look at Snorko:

A giant, not so old but its lead so it seems appropriate here:

And lastly a unit of different older plastic Orcs with some Hobgoblins mixed in. They still look orcish enough for my taste.

Attachments

• IMG_20170413_104219275.jpg
    IMG_20170413_104219275.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 1,673
  • IMG_20170413_105931377.jpg
    IMG_20170413_105931377.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 1,673
  • IMG_20170413_104741468.jpg
    IMG_20170413_104741468.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 1,673

Gallivantes

Fuxxx":kg8ycsty said:
Hey guys,
another batch of photos coming in. First of a closer look at Snorko:
file.php

Oh hey it's the rock lobber ammo loader is it not? Clever conversion :)

I agree: It's a very clever conversion. When I first saw the avatar, I thought "I have seen that miniature before, but where?!" Then, suddenly I recognised him :grin:

I also like the unit or old plastic Orcs - those Hobgoblins fit in very nicely.

Fuxxx

Thanks a lot you all!

We`re rapidly approaching the end. Not that I have no Greenskins left, but the new stuff needs attention as well and my supply of pictures slowly runs dry, which means I have to paint. And that is not too probable during the semester. Similar to my painting time, the other hobby time (like scrolling through forums) decreases a bit as well, so I'll finish off showing my existing army today. Updates will be scarce, but they'll exist. I've stuck with this army for more than half of my life, but since I'm studying I only have a lot of time 2 times a year :roll:

Lets start with a guy I got when I was like 12 and never knew where hes from (I always assumed old GW, but he really isnt). I recently discovered he's from excalibur miniatures, still on sale (http://www.excalibur-miniatures.com/sho ... cts_id=119) and I even have one of his colleagues (the one with the scimitar) laying around as well. So heres Schatork, as hes officially known:

Then theres the unit, that initally got me into oldschool stuff from other companies (like the Black Hat Goblins) as well, a unit of Orc Crossbowmen from Harlequin. I got them roughly two years ago, sold as old GW. Discovering that I could still buy stuff from Harlequin was pretty great and in my excitement I got all their Savage Orcs, Night Goblins and the normal infantry Orcs to go with my Crossbowmen. They have great sales from time to time and a really good customer service. And these Orcs were pretty easy to paint, they're essentially only skin and chainmail. Since I have no other real use for them, they only come into play if I need reinforcements for Rugluds Armoured Orcs.

And finally theres a unit of Black Orcs, composed of some recent and some older miniatures (plastic and lead). People tend to not like the mix, but it makes it easier to fit them into a regiment and Orcs come in all sizes.

Attachments

• IMG_20170413_104423938.jpg
    IMG_20170413_104423938.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 1,593
  • IMG_20170413_105123056.jpg
    IMG_20170413_105123056.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 1,593
  • IMG_20170413_105942948.jpg
    IMG_20170413_105942948.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 1,593

Fuxxx

Since my tribe needs some guidance (a good old fist to the face can work wonders for the morale), my Boar Riders got reinforcements in the form of 2 heroes, a boss and a battle standart bearer:

Attachments

• IMG_20170413_104523205.jpg
    IMG_20170413_104523205.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 1,592
  • IMG_20170413_104533363.jpg
    IMG_20170413_104533363.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 1,592
  • IMG_20170413_104603215.jpg
    IMG_20170413_104603215.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 1,592

Fuxxx

15097139615231243251923.jpg.6796bdee891a85419777752ae7463217.jpg

59f5bd116741b_IMG_20171029_122830560_HDR2.jpg.feb6af1da08b397ea8fb5f9ef1a3c012.jpg

1509714058255428937792.jpg.d06feb28a07cb874794b8b04e999e3d8.jpg

59f9f5399fc9d_IMG_20171101_1711409462.jpg.187c8b138f1c312822dc3e0fe5dd15d5.jpg

I painted some new stuff that might fit here.
Some 4a Miniatures little Lizards, which will pose as Squigs, some lesser Goblin Wolf Riders from Ral Partha mixed with Frostgrave Wolves and Snotlings painted as foxes and a group of orcish heroes including a Giant Black Orc, an Oldschool Orc from Spellcrow, an old Marauder Orc, a Black Orc from Knightmare Models and a Games Day Orc.

Back