Marienburg, Undeadish, etc! (plague)

Re: Marienburg, Undeadish, etc! (Fimir & Sir Rusty)

Thanks!

I would need to make some vast improvements in the quality of both the original sculpts and the resin castings.

I'm on a quest for half-orcs. I want them as mercenaries for various factions. The idea being they are effective, or at least adequate, but sort of a last-choice option. Sort of like employing pirates, bandits, etc. I've got some generally olsdschool aesthetics in mind.

Yesterday, I got a small order of one of the ranges I've thought worth trying. Black Tree's "Orcs of the Crimson Wave." https://eoeorbis.com/collections/fantas ... ins?page=3

20170406_073236_zps8wqg93b5.jpg

I also just discover some orcs from Scotia-Grendel. http://www.scotiagrendel.com/Products/i ... 46_203_204 I only care for the orcs & greater orcs.

Might be worth mixing in some humans, to, for those whose features favor that portion of their heritage. Or just human outsiders who have found common cause with the half-orcs. So I'd like to find some rough looking rabble, bandits, etc. too.

Re: Marienburg, Undeadish, etc! (Fimir & Sir Rusty)

I've just put a handfull of half orcs in my paint-remover jar a few hours ago. I am going to make a unit of 20 half orcs, and hopefully I'll start attaching them to their bases tomorrow. If you want alternatives to the "official" half orc miniatures, you might also want to check out some warriors/thug of Chaos or some Barbarians. Personally I bought an old Fiend Factory "Bandit in Chainmail" since he was cheaper that most of the half orcs I could find on evilBay :) Some humans with "rough" faces and ragged clothes will make fine half orcs if painted the right way.

Re: Marienburg, Undeadish, etc! (Old Minis, Large and Small)

Yes, I've been eyeing some rough looking humans, as I think a nice mix will look good.

Copying & pasting below, some of it I already posted in the BIg April Challenge...

Finished the oldschool Meier cloud giant.

mcgiant-ba17b_zps1wxrzicq.jpg

mcgiant-ba17a_zps5yvmd9sv.jpg

Making progress on the last metal produced Citadel giant, and the old C28 Citadel giant I have. They should be done by the end of my April challenge. As for the Warploque giant (not pictured)... it may not be April, but I plan on finishing him, even if it's not done til May.

2wipa-ba17a_zps4cooyal5.jpg

When I first got into miniature gaming in my youth (Battlesystem, Chaos Wars...) it was difficult for my friends and I to find figures. Some of my first minis were from the Grenadier "Halfling Party" set that two of us split. In fact, I still have some of them. But today, a full box of nostalgia arrived in the mail!

hbbtprty_zpsargxakuc.jpg

Off to Easter festivities with the family. Watch out for those eggs...

alieggsm_zps31vnysjz.jpg

Still working on the last two giants. No way I will get to the Otherworld giant (still in a bag) but I'm still hoping to finish the Warploque giant, and the freshly started Ral Partha frost giant. Shown here, WIP, for ridiculous scale differences. Made a lot of progress on Frosty. Added some more subtle washes to the big guy.

2wipa-ba17b_zpsttlpo6pk.jpg

While waiting for paint/washes to dry on those two, I (very) quickly painted up two test figures from the Disciples of the Red... er, Dead Redemption, based on the same palette I used on the Undeadish. The idea being that they have similarly been enticed to/enthralled by the forces of undeath. But these are secretive urban cultists rather than full tribes converted wholesale.

dotdr-test01_zpsdjhzijg4.jpg

I'm still considering giving them normal, if somewhat pale, human flesh instead of the pale grey flesh of the Undeadish. Another option is maybe adding some trim to the edges of the robes -- though I can always add that later.

Mat

These are nice.
Personally I'd leave the flesh as is for extra cohesiveness, but that's just me. I'm sure they're going to look great no matter what you do! :grin:

Tex

Love the meier cloud giant and the mushrooms!
I'd love trying my brushes on one, but it keeps eluding me.

Thanks!

I do think I will leave the flesh as is. After looking at it for a few days, I decided I like them that way.

I've got to give a nod to DeafNala from the Lead Adventure Forum. He sent me some of the mushrooms. The others I made with putty left over after various projects.

I'm still after the Tom Meier frost giant. After that, maybe some of the others he did....

I think this is the last giant I'm going to get done by the end of April -- the Tom Meier/Ral Partha fire giant, which I thought made a nice frost giant...

pixlr.jpg

I'm still working on the (not quite "oldhammer" but it has that same sort of charm to me) Warploque giant. Going to continue painting him past April, probably a little at a time. Almost done with the washes on the flesh...

wlq-wip-ba17-01.jpg

Rambling about these and more on my blog.... http://www.zerotwentythree.com/2017/04/ ... eyond.html

symphonicpoet

Fire/frost really did come out quite well. And I look forward to seeing what becomes of . . . not quite oldhammer.

I think he's going to be a slow project. My goal is to finish him before Summer ends. :grin:

I quickly finished painting and based some of the undeadish cultists. They're mostly old Citadel Disciples of the Red Dead Redemption troopers, plus an old (chaos?) wizard, and one of the new "oldhammer" figures (this one from Ramshackle Games - bearing an "old hammer") I got at the last Oldhammer USA day. I thought the latter two would fit well with the unit, and I'm not disappointed!

I'm still in the process of painting the four command figures from the Disciples unit.

dotdr01_zpsxfzbrpne.jpg

I also got to play my first games of any sort... http://www.zerotwentythree.com/2017/05/ ... s-wip.html

symphonicpoet

Re: Marienburg, Undeadish, etc! (Cultists/Disciples)

The two fellows in the center, the Ramshackle miniature and I assume the chaos wizzard? . . . They make great leader types for the unit, and yeah, they look great together. :) Nicely done!

Subedai

I like the look of that regiment, great job using just black and steel. The two additions to the original unit are a nice fit, and add a lot of character, plenty of backstory left to be told.

Thanks!

I added the last few troopers, plus an old Citadel cleric (front rank, to the right) who also seemed to fit as another champion. I still have a second Disciples command set, but don't know how soon I will paint them. Maybe just the standard bearer and musician? Looks like I can use this as either a medium-large unit, or split them into two smaller ones.

dotdr02_zpsw6pve15o.jpg

So, Photobucket.... Done with that drama and just moving on. I barely have time to paint, let alone fix image painting threads in three different forums. So unfortunately the old images will remain broken, and I will be hosting elsewhere (something long overdue) from now on.

A lot of old pics and posts can be found at http://www.zerotwentythree.com/ . I've got plans to update the static photo gallery pages soon, but most pics should already be there in old entries.

stone cold lead":1wvegz2m said:
ZeroTwentythree":1wvegz2m said:
(Undeadish giant and witch, shown with an ogre for scale)

Where's the witch from?

I'm going to assume this is the missing pic...

deadish3lv.jpg

...in which case the witch is from Foundry's Ancient Germans. (I'm a huge fan of that range, in general.)
https://www.wargamesfoundry.com/collect ... anic-women

It's been a while since I posted new stuff here. In fact I've been painting very slowly, especially as I've been travelling a lot for work, busy with family commitments, etc. But my recent project has been a unit of half-orc mercenaries. I don't have any of the old Citadel figures, and don't have the patience nor money for collecting them. So I went hunting for suitable alternates. I found a few good options. This is the first. (My tentative plan is for a small mercenary contingent -- two melee units, one unit of skirmishers/scouts, a shaman and a leader.) They are Black Tree Design "Orcs of the Crimson Wave." Part way through the unit, I wanted to add some more variety of sculpts & sizes, so I painted up two of Reaper's orcs that I thought fit well (and I'm very happy with them!) I may return to the unit and add some smaller orcs that I feel fit with the unit as well -- Bob Olley orcs from Reaper and/or some old Asgard orcs. Not strictly "oldhammer" I guess, but they have that same vibe for me.

So, I am (mostly) sone with Rotghar's%20Headhunters -- half-orc mercenaries -- other than adding a standard and possibly some insignia on some of the shields. So... I guess 98% done?

horcsf01.jpg

Re: Marienburg, Undeadish, etc! (Half-Orcs)

Not sure how Oldhammery this all is, but here's what I've been working on...

I'll ease into it with these two, which are old.... yet plastic. My friends and I never would have gotten into WFB as hardcore as we did if it wasn't for the old Fantasy Regiments and Skeleton Horde/Army plastics. I have recently come across a few of each, so plan on painting them all for nostalgia. (My originals got traded off long ago.)

20170805_095218.jpg

I painted the gobbos up thinking they might work well to bulk up the small number of some newer figures I was working on. But sadly, I don't think they quite fit in.

gob-bfg01.jpg

Lastly, some middlehammerish Citadel wight cavalry. Like the wight infanttry I painted previously, I never cared for these figures, but once I started painting them they sort of grew on me.

20170812_141049.jpg

Re: Marienburg, Undeadish, etc! (Nightmare Legion)

I finished the last few Nightmare Legion I have, in hopes of working up to a horde for shhhh.... playing Kings of War in November. ;)

20171007_141505.jpg

Back