[Single day mini-campaign]The secret recepie

dadde

The story so far..

"Somewhere close the borders of Bretonnia and the Empire, to be precise in a forgotten valley in the Grey Mountains, lies the small and hardworking halfling community of Lupthofen.
Known throughout the old world for their culinary skills, halflings of this area seems to have become particularly famous for a type of cheese and its the wonderful (magical) effects.
Called by the Dukes of Brittany "Brie du Lupthofen" and from the imperial accounts "Lupthofenkase", both great nations have always proudly claimed the property on its dairy products, without ever actually clearings who was the real owner of the village and its lands. Masters in the art of diplomacy, the Lupthofen seniors have used over the centuries the prodigious cheese and promises to share in the near future the mysterious recipe to always claim their indipendecy from both powers, becoming de facto one of the few communities free from abuse of intrusive neighbors.
All this worked until the hot summer of 2512, year known for the great drought that hit the Old World, making arid green pastures needed for the production of the famous dish.
To further aggravate matters, both Nations demanded a large supply of cheese in the same period, making it impossible for halfings meet the full demand:
Duke Francois de Reine , intending to grab the favor of Louen court with a "rich gift of HIS realm" inevitably came into conflict with the Duke Maximilian Strasse, determined in turn to win the hand of the Countess of Talabecland through the powers mysterious of the dish, becoming Elector Count in turn. Both do not know, however, that the secret ingredient for the magic cheese is nothing but the terrible Warp Stone, collected by halflings in a village not far from them, where thousands years before a huge Morslieb meteorite fell from the sky.
Both the Bretons that the imperial, unaware that the legendary effects of the dish can be traced back to the primordial Chaos matter (and to dire side effects), do not have the slightest intention of missing the word at home and both decide to " visit "Lupthofen to get what they want ...this inevitably lead to collide!
Given the area fraught with danger where the halfling communities is, both nobles organize their armies to occupy the village "until delivery occurred".
In addition to this, both armies are unaware that Halfings are not willing to concede their freedom to foreign occupation forces and with the money they collected in years of tradings they hired a huge mercenary force few week before the inevitable confrontation.
Knowing that this battle gonna lead to slavery or freedom, the same halfings feed themselves with the magic cheese to obtain the necessary strength (with a few hiccups) to defend their village!"

Booking list:

GM/HALFINGS : Dadde
EMPIRE ARMY: Tytus
BRETONNIA ARMY : Jonathan
HIGH/SEA ELVES ARMY : Ianhain

Booking status: FULL. Please contact me via PM if you wanna join us , I WILL FIND A SPOT FOR YOU.

***We re reaching a critical point of join requestes, so we cannot (sadly) guarantee anything.We ll keep trying to snipe people in as long as we have ideas and space on the table!***

Rules and Infos

When?

Friday, from the very beginning of BOYL

Scenarios

1-"the Jousting" -The armies all met in the valley. It was like looking at three long trains of ants coming from different directions to converge on a big, tasty crumb named Lupthofen.
From the west came the Bretonnians, scores of noble knights resplendant in their coloured garbs under wonderfully ornated banners; from the east came the Imperials, a well drilled host ready for battle, squares of perfectly aligned foot soldiers backed up by heavily armored templar knights; from the south came the Tileans: a collection very different small warbands, each of them marching under their own banner, united by the promise of money.
three commanders, three warhosts, three nations – and not enough halfling cheese for eveyone!
The Halfling had played it well enough, that had to be admitted: they buyed themselves time with mendacious promises to the bretonnians and the imperials, while at the same time they spent the good money on a most menacing tilean mercenary company, recruited to defend them from the first two. They did all this without having no one noticing and arranged the arrival of the tileans to happen exactly at the same time of their two bold neighbours. Not even the tileans knew they would be facing two opposing armies, therefore on that hot day of mid summer, in the Imperial Year 2512, the little, smart, cheese-producing, fast-talking creatures effectively put the three armies into a stall.
The bretonnians had been promised the remaining cheese from a previous (inexistent) bargain with the empire; the imperials have been told to make do with the cheese that the noble bretonnians wouldn't take as a gift to the King's nephew; and the tileans only knew that they should have been protecting a town from raiders. They had been given only a partial payment and now, if they wanted to receive the rest of their wage for having come all the way from their land to face two mighty armies, they would have to cross a valley full of bretonnian and imperial fighting men. In fact, they intended to ask a lot more for the unexpected twist of events and they knew the little rascals of Lupthofen had the gold!
The three generals met at the bottom of the valley: neither of them wanted to drag their people into a meaningless bloodshed, therefore they tried to find a suitable gentlemen agreement. Count Maximilian Von Strasse proposed to grant minor lands and titles to both his adversaries if they renounced any pretense on the cheese, but Capitano Giovanni De' Sedici immediately responded that the sorrow land of the Empire, plagued by famine, orcs and the gods know what else, was better suited to them pitiful paesants; he in turn put his (or, more precisely, the halflings') money on the dish, but Marquis De Reine promptly declared himself outraged to be offered money to settle a matter between noblemen. He despisely added that he would have drowned the both of them in fine bretonnian brandy, if they let him take the cheese for his king – this actually being the rather unpolite way he presented his offer; the imperial lord, understanding that acquiring too large of a stock of the very rare bretonnian brandy would have put his province in bad relationship with the very influential city of Marienburg, declined the offer saying that the preciuos liquor could be put to better use for bathing the horses of his cavalry company.
The retinues of the generals had to put up with this sort of bickering for quite some time, until the spirits got too hot and swords were drawn. It was then that Marquis De Reine had the most brilliant idea that a bretonnian noble may conceive in order to settle disagreement: issueing a challenge to a jousting competition! Bit on their honor, and quite upset with each other already, the other commanders hastily agreed, each of them perfectly sure to be the one to succeed in such an endavour. They left swearing oath of mortal enmity, only to find themselves alone with their thoughts on how could have been that they let themselves be dragged into such a silly contest over a even sillier matter, but promises had been pronounced and honor demanded they be fulfilled with blood!

2-"The battle for Lupthofen" * background pending *

3-"Chasing Cheese" While the destiny of Lupthofen seems to be written, the same cannot be said for the recepie secret.
Few hours before deployment, cook master Ralfi Thistlefoot ripped his cooking book in two parts :
“Marion, my simple-minded-useless brother, you ‘ll keep half of our precious treasure in your groin pocket until you’ll find a safe place where hide yourself properly. I know you’re afraid, but you must reach the nearest city and keep a low profile ! If everything goes right, we’ll meet again , here, in a week. If you hear of the fall of Lupthofen, stay hidden few more weeks then reach our house and find my half part of the cooking book where we hide it. After founding the complete recepie, sell it for not less then ten thousand karls and live long and fat , remembering ye old good times!”
These were the last words from Ralfi to Marion.
As everyone can expect, good money and the promise of pity can earn the most important secrets faster han light in a sieged city ,and the news of this “treachery” reached the three generals involved in this messy situation.
With no time to investigate on the informations, both bretonnian and imperial generals quickly dispatched a group of volunteers to hunt down Marion and brought back whatever he was keeping with him.
Even the mercenary capitano ,heard of the “ten thousand karls”, quickly formed up a group of Marienburg sell swords to get Marion : the money the halfing promised him after the battle quickly vanished, substituted by this (alleged) recepie value!

Races,size,players & sides?

The scenario can be played with ANY race (or mix ) we want. You wanna run a full hobgoblin army? Go for that. Chaos+Wood elves with a decent motivation? You’re in. Dwarves? Good. I wrote the story with Bretonnia and Empire because I took it from a previous game with a friend. The sides are not locked, so I can change the playing races in any way we want. There s nothing fixed.
According from our last talk, you just need to bring a 2500ish army of any kind.
I m going to be the GM and I can play the Halfings of Lupthofen with their dogs of war, but I can also just run the scenario and let someone else play that side. The only important thing is that there are 3 different armies with 3 different objectives (secret). People can team-up to form a greater army if we have enough players.
Update 20.02.2017 :after a brief meeting with the players, we decided to upgrade "the secret recepie" from a single scenario to a mini-campaign (3 small scenarios). More infos to come.

Game Edition?

Any 4th/5TH edition army is fine.
This is a scenario ,not a tournament. Don’t spend too much time in army composition..just fill in what you like and remember that your gaming joy is directly connected to the opponent 's one..so be polite! Seriously, use what you like and mixup whatever ally you love ! This is Warhammer at its finest .

Special rules? Army composition? Anything i need to know?
Game will be run by me (the GM) and some events may occurs during the fight. Maybe unexpected allies or foes comes in battle?Or weather suddently changes? Who Knows! Be prepared to ANYTHING! :twisted:
Update 01/03/2017 :House rules completed.
Update 02/05/2017 : Jousting rules wrote down. Contacts for a third skirmish scenario drafted (will update this as soon as we ve more infos). Rules from "the battle for Lupthofen" sceanario wrote.

weazil

Re: [Scenario]The secret recepie

That's a cute little story - I like it!

I don't tend to determine what I'm going to do until much closer to the date (lest there be organisational woe), but this has piqued by interest. Very nice!

sounds like fun. what kind of armies are you looking for this scenario/campaign?

I'll bring Altdorf themed Empire

dadde

Thank you both !
@ weazil : i ll be delighted to have you in the game ! Feel free to sign up when you want :)
@ Tytus: welcome in! We can absolutely use your empire. Mine gonna be used for the halfings. Being the master, i ll use them so the Empire side is free for you :). According to the scenario, Lupthofen is close to Border Prices and mountains, so we can use ANY race we want. Orks,orgres,chaos..anything. Halfings are using the warpcheese to save their lands :)

Inviato dal mio HUAWEI GRA-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk

dadde

b40b7e35e0e679be94578ed92d73e6ce.jpg

Halfings drilling with a dwarf advisor and his mysterious ghost friend!
More photo of the mercenaries recruited will come :)

Inviato dal mio HUAWEI GRA-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk

dadde

I ll keep this thread updated with the story and infos over the game . If anyone have questions,please drop them here.
For infos, please check the first thread ( i keep it updated).

I'm writing the rules for the first scenario, the Jousting tourney between the best knights from the bretonnian, imperial and mercenary faction: where shall I put them?

Fimm McCool

Secret recipe guys, is this something that could be fought on the outskirts of the port of Heldenhofen? See BOYL 2017: A Tale of Two Cities for my idea..

dadde

Fimm McCool":phevigpr said:
Secret recipe guys, is this something that could be fought on the outskirts of the port of Heldenhofen? See BOYL 2017: A Tale of Two Cities for my idea..
Ehy Fimm,
I think we can work out something to merge the scenarios. Our table became a small 1-day campaign instead of a single scenario,so i think it can transform again ;)
i ll contact the other GM of this scenario (Sir Jasperre Le Beau) and make him post here.
To me, if you want we can make it

Fimm McCool

Since it was looking like a Friday mini-campaign I thought it would be able to take up the 'out of town' end of the table and set the scene nicely. :)

dadde

Fimm McCool":1amy1tre said:
Since it was looking like a Friday mini-campaign I thought it would be able to take up the 'out of town' end of the table and set the scene nicely. :)

I think we can go for that. Sir Jaspere le Beau gonna comment this asap.

Just un update post to inform that the full rules for the first scenario (the jousting) are almost ready: I'll be posting here the background info and then provide a google drive link to the full PDF! Also, I have understood that Fimm McCool has kindly invited all the knights into the Heldenhofen Arena, which would be really cool if we really make it happen!

As for setting the campaign in the outskirts of Heldenhofen, I think it would just fit nicely if we just say that Lupthofen is the name the Halflings give to their quarter in the city of Heldenhofen

Fimm McCool

Grand. The halflings are fiercely independent of Heldenhofen so giving their quarter its own name is totally fitting. How much space does the joust need?

Excellent! I'd say something like a 16 x 6 inches would do, assuming the spectators would sit around this area. But we can do with less, the space between the two knights is just for the sake of representation, it doesn't really matter. I'll provide the cardboard hoarding from " The Perilous quest" campaign pack. Prepare to witness a truly knightly show!

The armies all met in the valley. It was like looking at three long trains of ants coming from different directions to converge on a big, tasty crumb named Lupthofen.
From the west came the Bretonnians, scores of noble knights resplendant in their coloured garbs under wonderfully ornated banners; from the east came the Imperials, a well drilled host ready for battle, squares of perfectly aligned foot soldiers backed up by heavily armored templar knights; from the south came the Tileans: a collection very different small warbands, each of them marching under their own banner, united by the promise of money.
three commanders, three warhosts, three nations – and not enough halfling cheese for eveyone!
The Halfling had played it well enough, that had to be admitted: they buyed themselves time with mendacious promises to the bretonnians and the imperials, while at the same time they spent the good money on a most menacing tilean mercenary company, recruited to defend them from the first two. They did all this without having no one noticing and arranged the arrival of the tileans to happen exactly at the same time of their two bold neighbours. Not even the tileans knew they would be facing two opposing armies, therefore on that hot day of mid summer, in the Imperial Year 2512, the little, smart, cheese-producing, fast-talking creatures effectively put the three armies into a stall.
The bretonnians had been promised the remaining cheese from a previous (inexistent) bargain with the empire; the imperials have been told to make do with the cheese that the noble bretonnians wouldn't take as a gift to the King's nephew; and the tileans only knew that they should have been protecting a town from raiders. They had been given only a partial payment and now, if they wanted to receive the rest of their wage for having come all the way from their land to face two mighty armies, they would have to cross a valley full of bretonnian and imperial fighting men. In fact, they intended to ask a lot more for the unexpected twist of events and they knew the little rascals of Lupthofen had the gold!
The three generals met at the bottom of the valley: neither of them wanted to drag their people into a meaningless bloodshed, therefore they tried to find a suitable gentlemen agreement. Count Maximilian Von Strasse proposed to grant minor lands and titles to both his adversaries if they renounced any pretense on the cheese, but Capitano Giovanni De' Sedici immediately responded that the sorrow land of the Empire, plagued by famine, orcs and the gods know what else, was better suited to them pitiful paesants; he in turn put his (or, more precisely, the halflings') money on the dish, but Marquis De Reine promptly declared himself outraged to be offered money to settle a matter between noblemen. He despisely added that he would have drowned the both of them in fine bretonnian brandy, if they let him take the cheese for his king – this actually being the rather unpolite way he presented his offer; the imperial lord, understanding that acquiring too large of a stock of the very rare bretonnian brandy would have put his province in bad relationship with the very influential city of Marienburg, declined the offer saying that the preciuos liquor could be put to better use for bathing the horses of his cavalry company.
The retinues of the generals had to put up with this sort of bickering for quite some time, until the spirits got too hot and swords were drawn. It was then that Marquis De Reine had the most brilliant idea that a bretonnian noble may conceive in order to settle disagreement: issueing a challenge to a jousting competition! Bit on their honor, and quite upset with each other already, the other commanders hastily agreed, each of them perfectly sure to be the one to succeed in such an endavour. They left swearing oath of mortal enmity, only to find themselves alone with their thoughts on how could have been that they let themselves be dragged into such a silly contest over a even sillier matter, but promises had been pronounced and honor demanded they be fulfilled with blood!

This is the backgroud of the first scenario (the jous).! I used the names provided by Davide and made up a suitable name for the mercenary captain (based on a notorious italian mercenary commander of the 16th century :grin:). Of course if you guys want to change them, just go ahead and do it: also, if you want to provide some more lines of story feel free to add and edit the piece I wrote.
I can't wait to laid my hands on that cheese and teach those halflings a lesson on honorable behaviour!

Back