twisted moon's 2017

twisted moon

i thought i'd try to log my painting and modelling activities this year; i'm not sure how well i'll get on, but trying is the first step.
i repainted these warhammer regiments goblins over the first couple of weekends of the year, which completes the (non-army list compliant) goblin contingent of my goblinoid army, at least for the time being.

... and here they are incorporated into their units.

you never, know, my photography and uploading skills may even improve over the year.

Attachments

• Goblin Archers1.JPG
    Goblin Archers1.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 4,739
  • Goblin Archers2.JPG
    Goblin Archers2.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 4,739
  • Goblin Archers3.JPG
    Goblin Archers3.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 4,739

twisted moon

this weekend i painted the second half of mighty ugezod's death commando.

you may recall i painted the orc half for orctober; here they are all together.

... although i now see i seem to have managed to hide mormo jabberinder behind mighty ugezod.
anyone know if these figures came with a background and rules, like the contemporaneous regiments of renown?

Attachments

• Death Commando1.JPG
    Death Commando1.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 4,737
  • Death Commando2.JPG
    Death Commando2.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 4,737

twisted moon

over the course of last week's evenings i painted up these as substitutes for white gorillas in frostgrave. chimps are more vicious than gorillas, so seem a good fit. i also already had these figures, as i've painted a couple of the sculpts as jokeiro.

i try and get multiple duty out of my figures and scenery, so my feldstadt isn't that snowy.
it's been a productive year so far; it won't continue.

Attachments

• White Apes.JPG
    White Apes.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 4,734

twisted moon

finished the first five orcs with two-handed weapons this weekend; the unit will be ten strong. the second five are undercoated and awaiting further attention.
left to right they're a kev adams orc for heartbreaker games, two renegade miniatures orcs (again kev adams, i think), a ral partha gargantua orc and another renegade miniatures orc. i've had the renegade miniatures for a while, the other two are part of an order from ral partha europe i placed at the beginning of the year.

i also painted this bear for frostgrave.

i've also started building my version of the mausoleum for frostgrave, but that's turned into a bigger project than expected.

Attachments

• Orc Zweihanders.JPG
    Orc Zweihanders.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 4,674
  • Bear.JPG
    Bear.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 4,674

Gallivantes

i thought i'd try to log my painting and modelling activities this year; i'm not sure how well i'll get on, but trying is the first step.

That is the right attitude. I am doing the same, best of luck to us :grin:

...the (non-army list compliant) goblin contingent of my goblinoid army

If they complied to anything resembling protocol, would they truly be goblins? :grin:

Aah, Kev Adams greenskins are da Best. I have just acquired that Heartbreaker one with the grinning mug, lucky me to get to have a go at painting him too. He is currently marauding his way from Albion towards my painting camp in his warband called Da Parcel-Force, my spies tell me. Come Orctober I shall be prepared.

symphonicpoet

I particularly like the banner and the snow chimps. What models did you use for those chimps? I feel Jokaero look a little more orangutan like, but the chimps look good too.

twisted moon

Gallivantes":3n6nev2n said:
Aah, Kev Adams greenskins are da Best. I have just acquired that Heartbreaker one with the grinning mug,

you'll enjoy yourself, he's got some great details.
i'm a big fan of most of the heartbreaker range. at some point i'm intending to place a big order of the dwarves; most of kev's goblins made it into that contingent.

twisted moon

symphonicpoet":a10sbmnu said:
I particularly like the banner and the snow chimps.

thanks, yes, i like the white apes too. my goblinoids are the blue moon crew, and almost all units have a similar banner with the leaders name on it. i've mostly used erny's name generator.

What models did you use for those chimps?

they're bob olly sculpted chimps from mega miniatures animals range, three each of the three sculpts in a pack; i don't know if they're still available from another source.

I feel Jokaero look a little more orangutan like, but the chimps look good too.

that's the received wisdom, and i don't necessarily disagree. i picked these up about twelve years ago to use in a floorplan based wfrp convention scenario. at the time there weren't many orangutan miniatures about, or at least i couldn't find any.

symphonicpoet

twisted moon":2flxokxn said:
symphonicpoet":2flxokxn said:
I feel Jokaero look a little more orangutan like, but the chimps look good too.

that's the received wisdom, and i don't necessarily disagree. i picked these up about twelve years ago to use in a floorplan based wfrp convention scenario. at the time there weren't many orangutan miniatures about, or at least i couldn't find any.

Sorry. That may have come across as a criticism when it was not intended to. Two separate and unconnected observations which were probably more or less this in my mind: "Huh. Those are neat. Man, I'd love go get some Jokaero, but those are darned cool too and would go well with the monkeys I picked up from Curtis." (My closest Jokaero proxies are some Ramshackle monkeys that I've decided to call "Donald's Monkeys" after one with a rather dramatic combover and a fairly clear anger management problem.)

Anyway, sorry for the confusion. They're lovely models. No criticism was intended.

twisted moon

i'm saving electrons by utilising the multiple posts caused by a human-machine interface malfunction; as such, pay no heed to the time stamp at the top of this post, but look at the date and time last edited instead.
here's the second rank of orcs with two handed weapons: two wargames foundry orc mercenaries, the musician and standard bearer are from kallistra, and the middle one is another gargantua orc from ral partha europe.

... and here's the whole unit.

i also painted these as wild boar for frostgrave, although they're based for more general use.

went to vapnartak today with a long list of frostgrave random monsers, but wasn't very successful in getting them. i did manage to pick up some foundry eurasian lynx to use as snow leopards and a pack of warbases dogs to use as wild dogs in frostgrave.
warbases have also started selling parallel slot bases, which i thought might be of interest to others here.

Attachments

• Orc Zweihanders2.JPG
    Orc Zweihanders2.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 3,581
  • Orc Zweihander unit.JPG
    Orc Zweihander unit.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 3,581
  • Wild Boar.JPG
    Wild Boar.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 3,581

twisted moon

as above, check the date and time last edited.
not quite such a productive week last week; i didn't manage to get any frostgrave random creatures finished. however, i did add to the ranks of my orc spear unit:

i also found these in poundland, which i thought others might find useful:

here's one with a foundry street violence yardie and an atenociti's workshop bike for scale comparison purposes:

anyone have suggestions for suitable riders? somewhere on the spectrum between rogue trader imperial army and dark future gangers is what i'm after.

Attachments

• Orc Spear1.JPG
    Orc Spear1.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 3,570
  • Rasta bikes.JPG
    Rasta bikes.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 3,570
  • Motorbike comparison.JPG
    Motorbike comparison.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 3,570

twisted moon

still using the extraneous posts.
another slow week; hopefully things are getting better again. i managed to get these wolves finished for frostgrave, again based more generically.

these are dire wolves from deezee miniatures; i picked them up several years ago to do duty in west wind's vampire wars, i think at recon in pudsey.

Attachments

• Wolves1.JPG
    Wolves1.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 3,553

twisted moon

this is the last of the multiple cock-up posts, so check the last edited date and time again.
another five spear orcs this week; from left to right, they are heartbreaker, an '80s citadel, a figure i picked up from the bring & buy at triples several several years ago and two kev adams heartbreaker figures. i assumed the triples figure was citadel but am now not so sure since the tab is blank. if i recall correctly, the first four are based on parallel slot bases from warbases, which i discovered at vapnartak at the start of the month.

i also finished these eurasian lynx from foundry, which shall be doing duty as snow leopards in frostgrave. i got these at vapnartak; £5 for the blister. as usual, i expect they'll see use outside frostgrave, so i've given them forest bases.

wfb2 states jaguars (the only big cats i could see mentioned) should be on 25mm x 50mm bases; these figures didn't look as though they could dominate that big an area, especially not the kitten, so i've gone for lasercut mdf 20mm x 40mm bases instead. i originally picked these bases up for skaven warpgrinder and doomflayer weapon teams, since i wanted them to rank up correctly with other skaven units.

Attachments

• Orc Spear2.JPG
    Orc Spear2.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 3,549
  • Snow leopards.JPG
    Snow leopards.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 3,549

twisted moon

back to creating new posts at last.
despite busy evenings i've had a productive week. first another five spear orcs:

lightly converted 'fantasy warriors' monopose plastics from em4 on each end, with some classic citadel in the middle. i picked up the classic citadel fairly recently at either call to muster or smoggycon, and have a few more non-spear which will feature later, all being well. the fantasy warriors figures come with integral bases which i've stuck on top of a slottabase, in once case, and a resin base from fortress figures in the other. i'm considering getting some mdf bases to remove the height differental, but these will be okay scattered amongst the ranks. the fortress figures base came with a py-rat.
the remainder of this unit will be more monopose plastic, and another of the kallistra command sets, so i'm intending to convert slightly more; nothing major, just some repositioning of arms, some head swaps and maybe weapon swaps if i can find some suitable alternative spear-like weapons amongst my collection.
next a citadel liche and a couple of mantic ghouls:

these are painted and based to add to my undead army, but will also see use in frostgrave. i'll try and pick up a few more of the ghouls to make a unit for wfb; there seems to be sufficient different combinations of the parts to have a reasonably mixed unit.
finally a mated pair of reaper werewolves:

these were purchased by mail order a long time ago from spirit games, again for use in 'gothic horror: vampire wars'. like the wolves who will accompany them, i've based them up for this purpose, but they will likely see use in frostgrave sooner.
this is probably the last post for march, as i'm away next weekend, and then on holiday from the weekend after. with a bit of luck i may be able to make some progress on the orc conversions and some scenery in the evenings, over the next couple of weeks.

Attachments

• Orc Spear3.JPG
    Orc Spear3.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 3,538
  • Ghouls & Liche.JPG
    Ghouls & Liche.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 3,538
  • Werewolves.JPG
    Werewolves.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 3,538
i love that foundry are so specific with their lynx. i'd hate to get an african lynx when i was looking for a eurasian one.

twisted moon

i think we can all agree nothing ruins a game of toy soldiers as quickly as a lack of verisimilitude in the use of 28mm big cats.

Back