Chariot Racing?

Golgfag1

Any of you following my preparation for BOYL2017 Topic would know that I received this reply :-
symphonicpoet":149ak54m said:
Oh very nice! Makes me think it's time for an oldhammer chariot race. :)

This has proverbially tickled my fancy and am now wondering if, anybody else would be interested in a Ben-Hur like chariot race? 8-)

In Hope

Paul / Golgfag1

Golgfag1

Just bouncing this idea again to ensure there's no interest, before I let it slide to the back of the queue. ;)

Paul / Golgfag1

Golgfag1

Unless you've really got something you want to show-off, I wouldn't bother - as I've a selection of suitable vehicles which might just suit sir's needs ;) - from the latest goblin twin wolf job with go faster stripes! to a heavy boar get-about with yoke walking driver 8-) , to a heavy Cold-one beast of a number which will chew up most of the opposition. :twisted: and by the time BOYL comes around there maybe more to choose from?

In hope

Paul / Golgfag1

Golgfag1

That's the general idea :grin:, hopefully more will express an interest the closer we get to July.

Paul / Golgfag1

Golgfag1

OK, this is starting to show signs of folks being interested 8-) - so I'll state now I'm happy to bring a selections of chariots for various sizes, draft animals, and races, I'll even bring a pump wagon. The question is do we want a track, stadium, what rules do people want to use etc etc? so, start talking people as we only have about twenty weeks , even better volunteer to provide something, all will be appreciated. :grin:

Paul / Golgfag1

Keuringer

Ben hur meets Medieval Mad Max would be great :) Tracks with squares or a measurement based game would both be great.

Keuringer

I've got an Orc Stadium side from BB that could be used as scenery for the appreciative Green viewers.

Attachments

• IMG_2278.JPG
    IMG_2278.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 2,161

Golgfag1

Excellent 8-) , every step gets us closer to achieving our goal :grin: ; I'm considering a 6 x 4 with a skewed figure of eight track, with long & short straight which should give us space for your stadium, but to be sure what's the size & space of the base?

Paul / Golgfag1

Norse

Notice there didn't seem to be any consensus on a set of rules so I knocked up a quick set for you. Feel free to use, modify or find something you like better.

Each turn a chariot can accelerate or deccelerate one speed point. Then move that many spaces forward. The chariot in front moves first, then the one in second place etc etc.

Drifting - a chariot can drift one space left or right each turn. If they do, make a handling check.

Turns - if a chariot spends at least part of it's move on a curve, make a handling check.

Emergency brakes - If a chariot would run into the back of another chariot they must jam on the brakes. Make a handling check at the current speed and then reduce their speed to the minimum required to prevent a crash.

Side-swipes - if at any point you move alongside another chariot, or if another chariot moves alongside you, you may side-swipe them; both chariots must make a handling check.

Whip - if at any point you move alongside another chariot, or if another chariot moves alongside you, you may whip them; they suffer one point of damage.

Handling checks - to make a handling check roll 1d6. If the result is equal to or more than your speed you have passed with no ill effects. Otherwise suffer one point of damage for each point you failed by. For example, Ben Hur is attempting to take a bend at a speed of 6. He rolls a die and scores a 1. He therefore suffers 5 points of damage!

A chariot has 9 points of endurance. These points are reduced by damage. A chariot with no endurance left must roll on the following table:

1. Spectacular explosion. Remove the chariot. Every chariot within 2 spaces must make a handling check.
2. Crash! Continue moving the chariot next turn (with no side-swipes etc allowed) and then leave the chariot where it is as a wreck acting as an obstacle for the rest of the race.
3. Horse breaks free. Immediately halve your current speed, rounding down. Minus 2 from all future handling check rolls. Move as normal next turn then roll again. If you lose all your horses then chariot stops where it is as an obstacle for the rest of the race.
4. Swerving wildly. The player to your left moves your chariot next turn (No handling checks required). Roll again next turn.
5. Get it together! Reduce speed by one. May not make any side-swipes or other attacks next turn. Roll again next turn.
6. Hang in there! Return to 1 point of endurance.

If a chariot stops dead (and is not a wreck) one point of endurance can be recovered each turn spent stationary.

The game can be made more interesting with a choice of Upgrades, maybe a deck of cunning plan cards or some random events.

the beanbag

I am most interested in this. As Nick (Mubo) has suggested, the Formula D rules are well play-tested for racing mechanics, worth a look to see what we can cannibalise?

And we cannot ignore the opportunities for rules for drivers and navigators, chariot mods and weapons surely :grin:

Norse

Formula D is a good game, but does rather require the use of a bunch of special dice. I guess there are ways around it though.

Golgfag1

Thanks for the responses chaps, :grin:

My initial thoughts - wasn't particularly looking for anything has complicated as either set of proposed rules so far; keeping it simple - mark-up the track into 100 x50 mm squares and indicate sectors up as difficult terrain (half movement - inside corners, debris on track following collisions etc). and have the chariots move one or two squares at each turn dependent upon the type of chariot & a dice roll (light chariots move 1 square on a 1 or a 2, two on anything else and heavy chariots move one square on a 1, 2 or 3 and two squares on a 4, 5 & 6; dice rolls could then be changed if, the chariots take damage) This gives drivers a choice go for slow and steady or fast & fragile. Please, keep the ideas coming?

I like the idea of side swipes , so would take a 'nudge' has a single auto hit as per the standard scythe rules for chariots and a full blown charge into some ones rear has per standard rules, please note - hitting another chariot's rear and destroying it, instantly gives you a section of difficult terrain in front of your chariot! :lol:

Paul / Golgfag1

Anonymous

I've got a couple of the old war wagons, I could paint up one. Any good?

Norse

What sort of track length are you thinking of Paul? Moving at only one or two spaces a turn means the game is likely to drag on a bit.

Back