Ebay ridiculousness

Fimm McCool

Or he typed £510.00 instead of £51.00 and felt such an idiot afterwards he didn't ask to retract the bid. Either way, now you can afford to buy another at a sensible price and rake in £500 profit, perhaps one without graffiti inside the cover! :)

He was some American chap.

He wrote a response to my email asking him why he was bidding so high and if he intended to pay.

He said: "It's a bit much, but I'll pay it."

A bit much? Like, 20 times the value, but all right! :grin:

Niibl

He seems to be a sportsman. I respect that. Sometimes winning is more important than money and if you get carried away then it is only honourable to pay up.
(I write that so that I can feel better about my own ebay mistakes of course)

Zhu Bajie

Stormbringer":349xv5kg said:
Well, I did say on the listing that there was a name in the inside cover.

It's some guy called "T. LEWENS". Maybe I should have marketed that. ULTRA RARE EDITION SIGNED BY T. LEWENS HIMSELF!!! :lol:

Not THE T.Lewens? OMG! T. Lewens! Wow!

No, I've no idea either.

Don't go spending it all until confirmation of receipt, he still might get an attack of buyers remorse and mess you about. Hope not tho! A great ending to your Oldhammering.

Erny

Looks to me like you got lucky and two guys with deep pockets entered a bidding war, a bit extreme but if I had several thousand quid pocket money each month and was in a bad mood when some chap kept gazumping me maybe I wouldn't care about the cash either. Particularly if the two have previous wars between them.

grim1":1ibt2ozs said:
bet you're glad he didn't cancel the auction now. DM. £510 wow....

Not really, I still think it's some sort of scam and PP will somehow refund it, but then I'm cynical like that, having it happen to me before.

Zhu Bajie":yqxshijx said:
Don't go spending it all until confirmation of receipt, he still might get an attack of buyers remorse and mess you about.

Good advice. You can be sure I'll be keeping it in my PayPal account for at least a month.

A Badger

I took a double take at that WHFB auction - hope it all goes according to plan but my spidey senses tell me they'll do something odd like try to do a charge back via paypal or say it didn't arrive or somesuch. Good luck though & let us know if they leave positive feedback!

Well, because I used the eBay Global Shipping Program, once it gets into the hands of the GSP guys, it becomes their responsibility, not mine.

Which means, if it doesn't get from GSP to his home in the USA, or if the guy claims it didn't get there, GSP will refund him, but I won't be charged.

Fimm McCool

Stormbringer":3n4xhcb4 said:
Well, because I used the eBay Global Shipping Program, once it gets into the hands of the GSP guys, it becomes their responsibility, not mine.

Which means, if it doesn't get from GSP to his home in the USA, or if the guy claims it didn't get there, GSP will refund him, but I won't be charged.

That sounds like a loophole waiting to be exploited... I hope they have good tracking and signed for facilities!

dhifdjdrd

To enter into the realm of complete conspiracy theory, they might be trying to force a collectors bubble. If they've got a box of 100 copies of 1E WFRP, which easily sell for £20 each then the investment to build a track record of inflated prices makes sense. A third party will enter the fray, they'll pay up the dosh, then relist and bounce the item between them, creating a false trail of value, skewing the market. They can then sell their stock for silly money. Similar thing happened with Disney Black Diamond VHS tapes, and lets be honest RoC:LatD is neither as rare or as good as the price demanded.

+1 Zhu

and now... it begins!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Warhammer-Fan ... SwH3NXnomi

By the way, just to follow on from this story -- the guy received the book, left positive feedback and no attempt was made to refund the money.

An extremely mysterious (but rather fortuitous) occurrence! I put the money in my retirement fund.

Zhu Bajie

urion":6uth7sdz said:
I just saw this. Sorry if it's someone on here. These casts look pretty terrible and labeling them "unreleased" kind of cracked me up and made me want to scream "false advertising" at the same time.
Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/201693858321

I don't know about false advertising - read the description, it's quite funny. Still, recasting is wrong.

Back