Rogue Trader Rainbow Warriors "Jungle Fighters" project

warcanvas

Hi,

I have been meaning to put together a WIP thread for a while now, so here goes.

I started to put together a small task force of Rainbow Warriors for a few games of 2nd edition 40k, however I'm very much more of a collector than a gamer (last game I had was 20 years ago), but it is still sometimes good to have something to aim for in terms of putting an army together. I went with the RW as imo they are one of the true Rogue Trader chapters and are somewhat a little bit of a joke, so decided to do them justice in true RT style.

Rainbow Warrior in Rogue Trader

84087650-f442-47de-96c3-4652e5ed9eac_zps20f8x0ic.jpg

So, a little back ground story, The Rainbow Warriors will be tasked to insert into the jungle death world of Catachan in hope of finding and detaining a rogue group of Catachan Jungle fighters (Imperial Guards). So these minis will have a heavily jungle theme (mainly the bases) running throughout, a second objective is to find and capture a Barking Catachan "baby" toad in order to extract the poisonous resin to aid in the Space Marine assassin programme for future operations (more on these 2 objectives later).

The base blue colour will be very vivid and different from the normal dark blue/Ultramarine schemes that one would assume they would be, even a "quick" Google search brings up a few in dark blue, so im pretty happy that this colour will be unique :grin:

All the minis used will be from my personal collection from 91-92 from back in the day. :roll:

Also most of the sculpts will be from the RTB01 box set (good old beakies) which I absolutely adore, they have so much character and class, and also can be pretty much built in any position.

The first three I finished last year were more or less test pieces, I have since changed a few of the painting stages to make them a little more darker and reduced 2 phases to reduce painting time... :o

DSC05070_zpslwrqvkia.jpg

DSC05073_zpsgft8pyfp.jpg

In this pic you can see I have used a much darker shade to make the highlights and midtones stand out more.

DSC05079_zpsbka3slwo.jpg

The flamer Trooper received some graffiti, classic "Flamin Death" from the RT rule book, the gas canister was made to look like an Military style HE round.

DSC05106_zpsmrgaop4f.jpg

This Trooper received a Broken Heart motif to represent the nick name of the team he is in "Heart Breakers". Also note that the base is not yet finished.

DSC05118_zpsbpnsxg5u.jpg

This is the Veteran Sargent, you can see I used white on the shoulder pad and helmet to denote the 2nd in command Sargent and also I was inspired by the old Space Marine painting guide Ultramarine for the star burst stars in his armour.

DSC05100_zpsof501brt.jpg

DSC05101_zpspb9hd1tp.jpg

From the early 90s painting guide

B2CF2E1C-C739-4F0C-A7B6-999A6799C810_zpsiwxourm8.png

Further detail on the Sargent, note helmet attached to belt and battle damaged bolter. Also the word "HURT" on powerfist.... :twisted:

DSC05112_zpsblnkbtdj.jpg

DSC05110_zpsim5hcl2w.jpg

Random Trooper with long grass base

DSC05107_zpssaxuc9jn.jpg

DSC05108_zpsm0yuvjri.jpg

Group pic of squad "Heart Breaker".

DSC05121_zps2zvidge9.jpg

DSC05129_zpseotnoany.jpg

Bases, all the bases are based with PVA and sand painted and then jungle foliage added and then painted, a finally double glaze of gloss varnish is added to give the impression it has been raining.

More updates soon.

warcanvas

Re: The Rainbow Warriors project

Three chaps left to do to complete the 10 man tactical squad,

Classic "posed" heavy missile launcher and Trooper hacking the dense jungle foliage

DSC05130_zpssururu7a.jpg

Communication Trooper, I converted one of the breathing regulators from the RTB01 pack into a radio/scanner.

DSC05131_zps3jf0lhj0.jpg

After I have completed this tac squad I will be moving onto a RTB01 Assault squad with jump packs, I have already started the first 5 already!!! ;)

warcanvas

Re: The Rainbow Warriors project

Company Captain in power armour.

Ok so this one will be metal and will be a converted from the old 1990 sculpt of the Ultramarine Captain (cpt), I will be converting it from Mk7 armour to mk6 Corvus armour to match the beakies, also I will be reducing the detail on the armour as well.

Comparison, before and after, I have 2 of these sculpts and the one I am converting was damaged so I have given it a second lease of life so to speak. Main issue was replacing the helmet and fading away all the panels and feet to blend into the less detailed Corvus armour. Lots of liquid green stuff was used.

19938cd4-3a74-4f69-aaba-89a94af13ed9_zpsn6afnkfv.jpg

Filling in the panels took many layers of builder up and sanding down.

afef9dd0-e2bb-4947-988a-6cfd1f3a0654_zpsesmbyuej.jpg

Small plastic rod was sliced to create the studs on the left shoulder pad, these were positioned uniformly, very much like the mk5 armour.

91705d54-98fd-4795-8c8b-7fc0abaadfaa_zpswobuswnq.jpg

4387fa26-996e-4aa4-b414-eeda5db228e7_zpsaxdfihjw.jpg

Primed and ready for paint

a700fa5d-62ff-4ded-909f-bffc059eaac2_zpsvklkurpt.jpg

Undercoated black with Temple Guard blue base coat

8c3b6d51-8cc1-40df-8304-91ff4f5e9855_zpsow0llp30.jpg

Current result, still a while to go yet

a5b1f482-5143-4dba-8934-5b35109ee59c_zpsb3zl5gcu.jpg

8-)

Mason

Good to see the Rainbow Warriors getting some love.
Great brushwork on these fellas, it really brings out those classic beakies.
Love that conversion, too. He blends in really well now.

Amazing work, especially love the veteran sergeant with the star burst pattern, and love the contrast between the bright armour and the kaki bolters, and just very high standard of painting overall, best marines I've seen in a long time

AsgardUK

Your already know my thoughts on these mate, they look brilliant and you are really playing to the strengths of your painting style

Can't wait to face them with my Griffons!

warcanvas

Thanks for the comments guy.

Dan, hell yes, maybe when we both finally get round to finishing our armies....''when I'm sixtyfour''..... :lol:

Absolutely fantastic work mate. I love these guys; if you ever want to make your catachan game a reality then drop me a PM! I'll play you; it'd be a shame not to get these guys on the table!

Orjetax

Tremendous.

I'm not much a fan of space marines typically but yours hit the exact right mark. Really great.

Beautiful! The individuality of the figures doesn't distract from a coherent look for the squad, and those bone-coloured bolter whaddyacallems look terrific.

Suber

:shock: :shock: :shock:
I did miss this thread and it's so awesome! Wow, sir, you cannot get enough admiration for this. Superb work!!

Yeah, I missed it too!

I like how you painted up the weapons in different colours....very effective.

I never thought I'd see a rainbow warrior Space Marine painted up, let alone painted so damn fine :grin:

Top job.

warcanvas

Re: Rogue Trader Rainbow Warriors "Jungle Fighters" project

Cracked on with the Communications trooper, made the radio out of the breathing regulator that comes with the mk6 beakies, just added some bits of plasti card/rod for the monitor and dials.

8 done 2 to go....

b0af5723e3cb8aa19fb83f1c6d54a320.jpg

36d4209cca7f25d3e2f4b309e9ded397.jpg

Back