Nurgle Genestealer Cult

Thanks Urion,

I've used oils in the past, mainly for weathering. They work great, but I'm a little reticent to switch my mini painting over to it completely. I've invested a lot of money into acrylics :(

I might try this technique with my acrylics, but add a bit of retarder to it too?

I've got the gist of your explanation so I'll try and adapt it.

Thanks a lot for the mini tutorial, much appreciated :)

urion

No problem. I only use oils sometimes. They create effects that acrylics can't so I use them as washes when I want very subtle transitions. I got a set of 12 oil paints for $5 so its not like it was an investment. I create similar effects with acrylics so it is definitely possible. Good luck. Its always fun trying new techniques.

Yeah, I was really happy with the effects I got when using them. But I applied a gloss coat after I'd finished with the acrylic base before I started attacking it with the oils. I used benzene to thin & wash the oil paint and I didn't want it to start dissolving the acrylic base. Do you gloss coat your minis when using acrylic or do you just use them together without forming a barrier between them?

I might try painting a mini totally with oils one day?

Cheers.

urion

I put a gloss coat over the acrylics, but really it's to control the effect more than protect the acrylic. If you don't use the gloss before the oil wash it absorbs in too much. I use a low odor thinner designed for oil paints. I've only had a problem with it damaging the acrylic below once and I think that was because I didn't give the gloss coat enough time to dry before I did the wash. That was my first time using an oil wash. Every other time I've had no problem. I've thought about doing an entire miniature in oils as well, but I don't really feel the need to since I'm comfortable with how my acrylics look. Doing more than washes would require me to relearn everything I do. You can't paint oils using acrylic techniques.

ardyer

urion":alc75gtx said:
I put a gloss coat over the acrylics, but really it's to control the effect more than protect the acrylic. If you don't use the gloss before the oil wash it absorbs in too much. I use a low odor thinner designed for oil paints. I've only had a problem with it damaging the acrylic below once and I think that was because I didn't give the gloss coat enough time to dry before I did the wash. That was my first time using an oil wash. Every other time I've had no problem. I've thought about doing an entire miniature in oils as well, but I don't really feel the need to since I'm comfortable with how my acrylics look. Doing more than washes would require me to relearn everything I do. You can't paint oils using acrylic techniques.
You do have to be careful when buying thinners for oil. The first bottle I picked up was a type designed for cleaning brushes and has damaged some paint below it. After switching to a different type of thinner, I've not had any problems (I'm in the train as I type, so I don't remember the types!)

urion

Here's a group shot of the Brotherhood of the Laughing Father so far.
2150x2x.jpg

urion

Here they are, the last two hybrids of the Brotherhood of the Laughing Father. The fourth generations all have Nurgle's Rot as their chaos gift so the share the green skin of the early stages of Nurgle's Rot. Until I get some more purestrain genestealers I'll be working on the rest of the units in the cult, such as beastmen and brood brothers.
24dljbt.jpg

29vf7lx.jpg

urion

Thank you. You should do it. They are a lot more versatile then I realized when I started. You can create all kinds of themes based around any of the Chaos gods or just genestealers. There are so many possibilities. I've started to work on my beastman unit and it is further reinforcing the swamp theme for my voodoo cult. I'm hoping I can get a few more snakemen since I only have the one. They seem to be a little expensive though. This one will probably be the only one I get so he'll be the "leader" of the unit.
28lauzq.jpg

2hej7s2.jpg

Badaab

Nice looking Cult so far... combines two of my favorites in the Genestealer Cult and the Nurgle stuff- provides some nice inspiration for my Genestealers as I collect some more models (more purestrain arms are required...).
While looking for other Chaos champion models and Beastmen, I've seen Snakemen going for less than $20 each on the eBay... which isn't too terrible, considering the age of the models, and there are only six of them (that I know about at least).

urion

I was lucky with him. I picked him up for $6 shipped off of ebay, otherwise I would have just gone for Olley beastmen.

urion

Finished my first brood brother. I've wanted to do a teal color scheme for a little while now, but didn't really have an army that it fit. I think teal brood brothers will go well with the rest of the cult. As soon as a I get more lasguns and laspistols for the rest of the unit I'll post a few more brood brothers.
6pcdqf.jpg

urion

Newest member of the beastman unit and my first Bob Olley beastman. He was so much fun to paint and I really love these beastmen more than any other models. More to come.
2ur9lq8.jpg

Orjetax

Utter, unapologetic threadomancy on my part.

I missed this thread from years ago, am sure many others have as well.

Some tremendous painting here, including on some more uncommon models.

Plus some quite good technical discussion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back