Vintage Undead (old pictures) [PIC HEAVY]

Pil

undeadupdate03.jpg

Hi all, I haven't been painting much lately but since I'm new to this forum I figured I would open a thread or two with old pictures. My undead are probably the best known I'll start with those. Without further ado here's a selection of pictures of my army with some new pictures thrown in for your viewing pleasure. No pictures of freshly painted models though I'm afraid so I apologise if you've seen these a hundred times before ;)

I started my army in september 2010 and one of the first things I painted was my (very first) Nightmare Legion. This unit set the colour scheme for the army to come, as it made me think of the techniques I would use to paint bone, armour, banners and shields. My first Nightmare Legion looked like this:

Undead%20Army%2001.jpg

Nella tentazione
Cercando lagloria
Il prezzoda pagare
E'la caduta dell'uomo

(Into temptation, In search of glory
The price we pay, the fall of man)

Of course 24 skeletons isn't very nightmarish so my legion grew to over a hundred skeletons:

undeadarmy002.jpg

Ennio Mordini, Renzo Avanti
Forsan et Haec Olim Meminisse Iuvabit

(Perhaps someday we will look back upon these things with joy.)

Of course my army needs a general (besides Mordini) and I was lucky enough to get a classic Finrum model in a lot on eBay. Lucky because I did not know this model was so cool (and would not have known had I not received is), he's definitely one of my favourite models in the army:

undead03.JPG

Next to him is an older citadel skeleton now painted up as a kid with a wooden sword.

undead09.JPG

Morbius the Liche from the Skeleton War Machines boxed set. He's not a very rare model but still rather iconic and quite fun once painted 8)

undeadarmy027.jpg

Another liche in my army is Perrius, an old (and smaller) liche by Alan Perry. A lovely model and I don't mind his small size.

Apart from old citadel there are also a couple of Marauder models in the army, which I suppose are equally popular here.

undeadupdate04.jpg
undeadupdate05.jpg

I'm not a huge fan of the Marauder style for their undead but I really like this vampire. Even though he's rather bulky compared to citadel he's got a lot of character. I went for a bit of an Eastern European look in the colours and patterns and I'm rather pleased with the result. It's a bit different from a red/blue/purple robe but it suits the model very well.

Pil-02_Sic_Transit_Gloria_Mundi.jpg

Here he is leading a bunch of Death Riders: skeleton horsemen in metal. I love these death riders as all of them are very characterful sculpts. Despite their often high cost I have collected a fair few which of course I'm glad to share (the painted ones anyway)

deathriders02.jpg

Pil-01_Death_Riders.jpg

And here are some close-ups:

deathriders11.jpg

Bloodharvest

deathriders10.jpg

Not a death rider but simply a skeleton with an axe on a cool horse.

undeadupdate06.jpg

undeadupdate09.jpg

A flaming wraith, it's suitable to use as a hex-wraith in the 8th edition. The flames don't really work that well as the model is quite flat. I painted two of these, the other one just got black robes all over.

deathriders08.jpg

No-skin

deathriders06.jpg

Skeleton with a head on a spine.

deathriders04.jpg

A very basic but cool looking undead knight.

Finally some pictures of the standard bearer. He's not very classic citadel (1992) but I wanted to show off the banner anyway.

undeadupdate01.jpg

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
(Thus passes the glory of the world)

undeadupdate02.jpg

In Ictu Oculi
(In the blink of an eye)

I also have a lot of the plastic horsemen, the most interesting of which at the moment is the standard bearer:

Undead%20Army%2005.jpg
Undead%20Army%2004.jpg

Eram quod es
Eris quod sum

(I was what you are, you'll be what I am)

After the riders come the infantry, since there are lots of pictures I'll keep the text brief:

undeadarmy018.jpg

undeadarmy019.jpg

undeadarmy020.jpg

undeadarmy004.jpg

undeadarmy007.jpg

Pil-04_Lichemaster.jpg

Of course I have some close ups of lovely old lead, pre-slotta, slotta and some conversions:

undeadarmy028.jpg
undeadarmy029.jpg

undead13.JPG
undeadarmy030.jpg

undeadarmy036.jpg
undead15.JPG
undeadarmy038.jpg

undeadarmy039.jpg

undead17.JPG

Mors ultima ratio
(Death is the final accounting)

undeadarmy043.jpg

undeadarmy044.jpg

undead18.JPG
undead19.JPG

undeadarmy045.jpg
undeadarmy046.jpg

undeadarmy047.jpg

undeadarmy048.jpg

undeadarmy049.jpg

undead20.JPG

undeadarmy050.jpg

undeadarmy051.jpg

undeadarmy052.jpg

undeadarmy053.jpg

undeadarmy054.jpg

undeadarmy055.jpg

undeadupdate10.jpg

A plague cart:

plaguecart01.jpg
plaguecart02.jpg

Not citadel, but I couldn't withhold this skeleton emperor on palanquin:

throneofsouls01.jpg
throneofsouls02.jpg

The fantastic zombie dragon by Tom Meier:

undeadarmy008.jpg

undeadarmy009.jpg

Screaming skull catapults:

undeadarmy021.jpg

Another grenadier model, the undead mammoth with citadel crew, because they fit in more:

undeadmammoth10.jpg

undeadmammoth11.jpg

Grenadier was good at making large models as they were also responsible for these giant liche lords, but of course not for their retinue:

Pil-06_Hierotitan.jpg

Pil-07_Phantom_Lord.jpg

Pulvis et umbra sumus
(We are dust and shadow)

Of the giant Grenadier undead models though the very best has to be the Death Giant, or skeletal titan, or the Colossus of Argil as mine is called:

undeadarmy056.jpg

Of course no army is complete without a bit of fun:

Pil-01.jpg

Roccaturi te salutant.
(Those about to rock salute you)

Pil-09.jpg

Pil-10.jpg

I hope you enjoyed this overview. There are more old pictures which you've no doubt seen before as well so I'd better get back to painting I guess ;)

bug16

As a big fan of the 80's Undead range all I can say is they look superb! :grin: Also well done for getting an original Heinrich Kemmler model, I'm very envious!

I never understood the reptile horses in that Undead range, I've got one but it looks too out of place to be used next to the zombie and skeletal horses. Even so it's nice to see one painted up! :)

Edit: Just noticed that you've got a Mikael Jacsen model. It's official, I hate you! :grin:

weazil

Bloody hell, Pil! It's hard to continue painting the undead with that lot out there!

Very, very nice indeed!

Seen most of them on FU_UK already - these still blow me away :shock:
I had only a few models from this army and still cannot believe I just sold them when I gave up playing WFB :(

Thantsants

Safe to say you've got 3rd ed. Undead covered Pil :lol:

Not to mention those lovely Grenadier pieces!

Are there any you're missing?

DaImp

That is a beautiful collection of undead. Just the perfect amount of decay and dirt to make them utterly believable. So much nicer than clean bones and uniform colours. This lot really feels like a horde of soldiers that have been forced into the service of a Liche King.

Chico

WOW.. :shock: now those are what an Undead force should be... why is it everytime i see a nice army on here i want to start one... first Slann now Undead.. Gah!

Ti Pouchon

DaImp":k0itulyj said:
That is a beautiful collection of undead. Just the perfect amount of decay and dirt to make them utterly believable. So much nicer than clean bones and uniform colours. This lot really feels like a horde of soldiers that have been forced into the service of a Liche King.

That's what I like about them, too.
The only thing that doesn't work with that image - in my opinion at least - is the shield designs and banners. Of course, they look brilliant, but the army when still alive wouldn't have images of skulls and skeletons on their shields and banners, would they?
So, an undead artist/tailor must have made those banners. I know it's nit-picky but it's one of those things that irks me about the undead - same thing as the over the top skull-and-pentagram-encrusted robes and collars of some undead character models in production: where in blazes do Necromancers have their clothes made?
I like the Dunharrow undead above, because they have the "right" shields.

Thantsants

Don't Necromancers have to attend Skull and Rune iconography and advance shield decoration lectures as part of their training - can't have Undead hordes roaming around who don't look the part ;)

Chico

Heh i don't mind all the skull and pentagram bits on Undead, as lets face it so what if the Banners and Shields aren't realistic as it's Fantasy after all.. you don't see Undead walking down the road.. well unless its Goth night at my local :O

Pil

Thank you all, I've shown lots of these pistures everywhere over and over again so it may seem a bit spammy but since I'm new here I felt it would be ok. I'll post some Rogue Trader stuff later on for your enjoyment 8)

bug16":3cxo2qsq said:
As a big fan of the 80's Undead range all I can say is they look superb! :grin: Also well done for getting an original Heinrich Kemmler model, I'm very envious!

I never understood the reptile horses in that Undead range, I've got one but it looks too out of place to be used next to the zombie and skeletal horses. Even so it's nice to see one painted up! :)

Edit: Just noticed that you've got a Mikael Jacsen model. It's official, I hate you! :grin:

Actually, I have neither, let me share with you my secrets:

mikaeljacsen01.jpg

mikaeljacsen02.jpg
mikaeljacsen03.jpg

mikaeljacsen04.jpg

mikaeljacsen05.jpg

mikaeljacsen06.jpg

mikaeljacsen07.jpg

kemmler01.jpg

kemmler02.jpg

kemmler03.jpg

kemmler04.jpg

kemmler05.jpg

The wizard with the book is still available from Mega Miniatures: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8750195033 (not in this listing though)

I never really understood the lizard horse either but now I count it as suitably whacky and old school, I should, because I have a couple :)

Thantsants":3cxo2qsq said:
Safe to say you've got 3rd ed. Undead covered Pil :lol:

Not to mention those lovely Grenadier pieces!

Are there any you're missing?

I have the other mammoth missing it's crew, catapult and tail but the animal and the howdah are there, I have the rhino missing only it's tail (but I will give it Citadel crew as well), I have another giant for converting later on. I don't have the dragon but I don't care too much for that model. None of these are painted yet though. 8)

Ti Pouchon":3cxo2qsq said:
The only thing that doesn't work with that image - in my opinion at least - is the shield designs and banners. Of course, they look brilliant, but the army when still alive wouldn't have images of skulls and skeletons on their shields and banners, would they?
So, an undead artist/tailor must have made those banners. I know it's nit-picky but it's one of those things that irks me about the undead - same thing as the over the top skull-and-pentagram-encrusted robes and collars of some undead character models in production: where in blazes do Necromancers have their clothes made?
I like the Dunharrow undead above, because they have the "right" shields.

To this I reply with a quote from teh Skeleton War Machines box (lifted from the stuff of legends: http://www.solegends.com/citmd/md08skeletonmachines.htm ):

Longhorn stood looking over the ruined parapet. The chill wind ruffled his surcoat, whistling eerily between his ribs.
'Still coming?' the voice belonged to Screamer, one of his companions-at-arms.
'See for yourself.' A black column stretched from the horizon to a mile away, like an army of ants on the move.
'Here,' said Screamer, struck by a sudden thought, 'We can talk, right?'
'Yes.' sighed Longhorn. He hated it when Screamer had one of his sudden thoughts.
'And we can see them, right?' Longhorn nodded.
'How?'
'What?'
'We're Skeletons, right? No eyes, no eardrums, no vocal cords - but we can see, hear and talk. -Makes you think, doesn't it?'

The banners and shields were one of my first concerns when I started painting my nightmare legion. In the end I settled on the notion that my skeletons are sentient (as above) and decorate their own shields and banners from their new-found perspective. In the case of the skeleton vikings above though I felt 'traditional' shields were more in order.

Just John

Fantastic army - seeing this over on Frothers was another nudge that started me on this slippery slope. I've seen your MJ conversion before but the Kemmler one is fantastic, something I will definitely try out myself.

Please don't show any RT stuff as who knows what I might start collecting then :lol:

John

Harry

Great to enjoy this army ...this collection again.
Also great to see those conversions again. I had forgotten how fantastic they were. :grin:

I have seen your pics before either here or somewhere else but I had to leave a comment and say Very Nice :). I have a Undead army as well, however it does not compare with your work and army... very impressive!

Back