Oldhammer AHOY!

Fimm McCool

Time to bring this thread to the right place! We've been discussing Oldhammer Ahoy, a grand, nautical battle of epic proprotions, over here: http://forum.oldhammer.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3856 and there are some great-looking ships shaping up.

I thought I'd just kick start it by putting a thread here and showcasing the work I've managed to do this week on my Chaos Dwarf Ironclad, The Cutting Snark:

11116565_10153250688062279_4337335459408118884_o.jpg

WIP and step by step on the blog:

http://fimmmccools.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/oldhammer-ahoy-boyl-2015.html

Fimm McCool

I'd be tempted to chop a chunk out of the middle of that ship too... the Time Bandits one is a bit squatter which makes it fit the head a bit neater as well as looking more olde worlde. Maybe cut at an angle so the bow raises up a bit more? Definitely looking forward to seeing how this goes, the idea's great. If only they did a decent model of this:
108.-Durmstrang-Ship-Model.jpg

Thantsants

Yeah - that has been bugging me when I've looked at pics of the film version, especially it being a one master instead of two, as well as having a little house type structure for the poop deck.

I may steel myself yet to such drastic action but I have the twin demons of complacency and lack of time sitting on my shoulders, as well as a load of Hobgoblins that want painting. Keeping a straight deck cuts down on work load and makes game play much easier but hacking it to bits and rebuilding it would give my Giant the rockingest titfer at the party!

We'll see how it pans out - I searched high and low for a ship like the one you pictured but came up with zero in the size bracket I needed for the head - out of interest what is that fine ship?

Fimm McCool

It's the Durmstrang ship from the "film franchise that shall not be named", but love or hate them the work that went into those films is just breathtaking. Now that's what I'd love to be doing!

Thantsants

Yeah, the whole HP thing passed me by - the books swiftly followed by the films (and me a primary school teacher!), although I have seen most of the films courtesy of the wife, who is a fan. Definitely some fine craftsmen and women working on props there.

Hate to think what their commission would be...

Hurry up and get with the big studios fella and don't forget us mere mortals with some mates rates when you get there ; )

Fimm McCool

I'm not sure big studios do 'mates rates', but the very-near-future Mrs Fimm is half Kiwi, so that would make me eligible to work for Weta.... :twisted:

Thantsants

Very cool - just make sure Jackson doesn't mess up his next Tolkien extravaganza...

By the by, I recently went on a school residential trip where one of the instructors was a Kiwi who played one of the many Elf extras in the LOTR films - haven't spotted her yet mind.

Fimm McCool

Jackson's stuffed everything else up to date... actually that's unfounded. I only saw FotR and it was so dire it put me off the others, but that's a rant best left sleeping!

Baldrier

Goddammit Fimm you shame the rest of us with that speed, two ships in two days!!

Do you have an army of gimps doing all the slave labour for you??

Both of the look fantastic, so jealous, seems like I better get a fire started under me.

So rant over :razz: Here's the progress so far, got that lower deck inside totally finished and now started on making the upper deck ready for coffee stirrers.

Pictures say a thousand words and all that jazz ;)

Attachments

• shipe progress.jpg
    shipe progress.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 2,034

Fimm McCool

Your deck's a lot neater than mine! ;) And it wasn't really two days of work, try two weeks or more. It's just that progress reached a point where it was worth blogging about at about the same time. The next posts are probably a couple of weeks away! :)

Baldrier

Thank god, you had me scared there for a moment ;)

Well, I did go all in on the deck and will do the same on the upper deck, will be using mine as a rpg scenery and I have a problem with half solutions, it's either gotta be perfect or not at all.

This sadly has the downside of making all my projects rather large.

That combined with building a 1:1 scale shower for our communal garden (it's a different thing in Germany), time for toys is diminished.

Fimm McCool

If anyone wants a roster for their ship, here's one which will calculate based on the length of your ship how many crew you have to have (marked in green) for the ship to move and the maximum number. Just type in the length of the ship in inches in the appropriate box and you'll get the appropriate number of crew slots in the spreadsheet. Using 'unit strength' from 6th Ed- generally anything on a 20/25mm based is one slot, anything on a 40mm base is 3 slots and anything larger is the same number of slots as it has wounds. We're allowing one magic user and one war machine per ship (though this being Oldhammer we can be flexible with cool stuff! It may also be ok to trade a magic user for a war machine and vice versa).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lvm83z83atnzkar/Oldhammer Ahoy.docx?dl=0

Now the question. Do we use 6th Ed profiles or 3rd Ed?

Warhammer Ahoy uses the Skirmish rules from 6th so it would make sense to use the 6th Ed profiles. Given that we're not having points values, are encouraging cool special rules and 'oddities' and are playing for enjoyment not necessarily victory is that Oldhammer enough? Or do we want to use older statlines?

Thantsants

Nice progress Baldrier!

Fimm - looks a useful document. I was wondering how many weapons and crew I could have.

As for rules - I don't mind which we go for. I gather you chaps have been practising with the 6th ed rules? If that's the case andt hey work well, I'm happy with that. You'll just have to explain things to me as we go along as I'm not very familiar with 6th ed at all.

Fimm McCool

It's quite easy to pick up, not very different from how 'usual' one-on-one combat would work in Warhammer. There are rules similar to Neecromunda about going down and getting up again in combat , but they bogged down the skirmish with my Orcs for such a long time we decided they'd be better left off or we'll have another 3-day siege game on our hands! If people are fine with 6th Ed stats that seems to work ok. If anyone needs to know what their statlines are in 6th give me a shout and I'll find out. We've reduced the crew sizes and war amchines allowance from the General's Compendium as well to streamline things.

Thantsants

Sounds good to me - I hope we only give the rules the casuallest of nods anyway. If any game needs a GM to preside over all sorts of unorthodox goings-on not covered by the rules then this would be it! ;)

Niibl

6th ed. is ok. It would be good if we could set this in Stone. The zombie pirates list is somewhat half-arsed and might need some adjustments but I think it was released for the 6th edition.
Writing a version for 3rd Edition would be fun but it will also be quite time consuming.

Fimm, thank you for the document but...
unit strength as a measure for Crew size always was somewhat crude; a System that only worked for near equal armies.
A goblin and a chaos warrior the same unit strenght , so point values might still be better.
If you have tested with Orcs it will be easy enough to calculate the Points from the number of orcs you used.

I'm also not that happy about the War machine restrictions - one war machine means no stylish broad sides.
The companion's rule of allowing a number of war machines based on the size of the ship was not that bad but it had i'ts flaws too as it did not take firing arcs into account. For a modeler this was always quite irritating.

So would propose a Standard warmachine to have a firing arc of 180°which could be split up in 90° segments allowing additional war machines.
That way you could place a fixed cannon with 90° on both sides of the ship.
Allow a second 180° if no mage is used. E.g. a Dwarf ship could have 2x 180° war machines or one 360° Turret.
If you use Point values in Addition to this it will be hard to abuse this as war machines usually will be costly enough.
(Well, I'll have no mages only a mad, impotent Vampire Lord, so it's at least a second war machine for me.)

Please note that I might be able to finish and bring the following sea Monsters with me if they will be of use:
Megaladon, Behemoth, Promethean and black Leviathan. And probably a sea elemental-but this will Need a lot of sculpting.
If they are not needed it would be good to know. Then I will have to handle a much lighter luggage.

BTW. Last time I looked we only had the sunday listed for WH Ahoy and therefore signed up with some other games as alternatives.
Will be there any structure allowing to pause from the games?

Back