Re: I've never painted a .... before - The Rogue Trader 100

cheetor":57uc1roe said:
#20 Captive Imperial Fist

I have never painted...

A) an Imperial FIst
B) a captive Space Marine
C) a conversion put together by someone else

clutchesofchaos3.jpg

The builder really captured the uncomfortable nature of giant shoulder pads at awkward angles, and you captured all the rest with your brush skills. This whole thing is one giant trap! Great stuff :)

Masterwork

He looks like he can he feel something imagined by Giger wriggling around inside his stomach...

Awesome paintjob by the way!

Mostyn

That's just great - lovely paint job on a clever conversion. Although if I were taking a space marine captive I'd take his power armour off. I guess sculpts of marines in their underwear just aren't that common.

Reading that back it sounds a little more kinky than I intended...

cheetor

Mostyn":398lcaoc said:
That's just great - lovely paint job on a clever conversion. Although if I were taking a space marine captive I'd take his power armour off. I guess sculpts of marines in their underwear just aren't that common.

There was a discussion about this elsewhere, regarding how strong that chain would have to be etc. Note that the armours power plant has been removed (its on the ground, stage right), so I imagine that he is pretty seized up in there. Like the Tin Man in The Wizard of Oz.

Thanks for the kind words folks, it was fun to paint.

rt-100-club.png

*** Badge Achievement Unlocked ***

Mostyn

Bit of a come down form the last entry but:

#21 I've never painted a squat, or a Bob Olley Figure, before.

Because apparently everyone else has. I'll confess it was a conscious decision as I've never been much of a fan of Mr Olley's work - they're almost the complete opposite of the cartoony 'Marauder' style I love. It's therefore no con-incidence that this is the least 'Bob O' squat of the bunch but you know how it is. A man will do anything for a virtual badge!

Asslessman

Looks great to me ! How did you like painting him ? Didn't it change your view in the sculpt (or maybe it requires a strong Olley one with loads of wrinkles to feel the Olley efect working).

Mostyn

Thanks. Figure was fine to paint but I can't say it changed my opinion. I'm not a big fan of the wonky face aesthetic generally. The wrinkles on his other stuff, however, really do put me off. And it's not just a Bob Olley thing. I love Kev Adams' zombies as figures I just don't like painting them. I guess I'm just a gentle layerer at heart who hasn't adapted to those new fangled washes and glazes. Or to paraphrase, i'm a dinosaur with no taste!

Mister Rab

Beautiful, rich colours with plenty of depth. Lovely sci-fi goodness :)

weazil

I've never painted a limited edition Mark Copplestone Oldhammer Bring Out Your Lead! 2015 post apocalyptic space punk before...

There ain't many perks to trying to organise BOYL, but I guess this is one of them...

I wrote up a story for him too, if that sort of thing floats your boat...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 3,428
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 3,428
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,020.7 KB · Views: 3,428

Jeff McC

Lookin' good, GAJ! I like the choice of skin tone - I wouldn't have thought of it.

antipixi

You tease you!

weazil":3cf91yhs said:
I've never painted a limited edition Mark Copplestone Oldhammer Bring Out Your Lead! 2015 post apocalyptic space punk before...

There ain't many perks to trying to organise BOYL, but I guess this is one of them...

Mister Rab

Nicely done, sir! All that colour without making it look cartoony.... <claps>

Matt in PA

#23. I've never painted...the first 40k space marine...before. This is Bob Naismith's LE2 Imperial Space Marine.

Does anybody know if there's any significance to the "M" on the shoulder pad? I've painted it as the chapter symbol here, but I've seen it other places in the early releases. Irn Bonce the Squat, for example, also has an "M" on his helmet and backpack. Does it mean anything?

Mister Rab

I'd never noticed the "M" before, but you're certainly welcome to the club with an entry like that :)

Asslessman

Mister Rab":2cn054yt said:
I'd never noticed the "M" before, but you're certainly welcome to the club with an entry like that :)

Funny thing is that the first squat ever (aka Irn Bounce) also sports the same letter...

Chico

Aye the M stands for ''Mc D's'' big fans are Marines and Squats of the Mc fattie Burger :)

Matt in PA

Chico explains all. I'll go back and repaint the "M" in red and yellow Golden Arches style. Though I REALLY don't want to know what they're putting in the burgers 40,000 years in the future.

Chico

Matt in PA":2d287swl said:
Though I REALLY don't want to know what they're putting in the burgers 40,000 years in the future.

Soylent Zoat ;)

Back