[BOYL 15 Game] Journey to the East (3rd ed WHFB scenario)

lenihan

I thought I'd start this thread again, as there was a lot of interest in the initial thread started last year, but now that we're getting closer to the event itself, it would be a good chance to gauge continued interest/ make plans - especially as we're being asked what size of table we'd like.

The scenario: The Monastery of the Dragon of the Midday Sun is a remote outpost of Eastern civilisation on the edge of the steppes. A trading post has sprung up around the monastery, benefitting from the movement of caravans plying their perilous trade between Cathay and the Western world. The monastery lies beyond the Great Bastion, and so is vulnerable to attack from Hobgoblin raiders and other miscreants. Yet those who dare to plan such attacks are plagued by doubts; all have heard the rumours that the monastery is protected by unknown forces. Is there any truth in the rumours, or are they simply excuses on the lips of cowards?

This will be a narrative-led 3rd edition scenario, for which I'm hoping people will bring anything they have with an eastern flavour: Hobgoblins, Cathayans, Nipponese, Barbarians of the Steppes, anything you can think of. Each force will be given specific secret objectives for their force alone, and there will be several NPCs and other surprises to interact with.

Several people had expressed an interest in the previous thread, but I recognise there are so many other exciting things to commit to, many might have had other ideas since. So I thought I'd start this thread afresh for a more concrete signup and for getting on with planning.

Re: [BOYL 15 Game] Journey to the East (3rd ed WHFB scenario

I reckon we need to see some kind of graphic layout showing which games are on when so that we can figure it if we've over booked ourselves.

lenihan

Agreed - although I don't believe we've set a time for this game. (Largely because I don't know what times other commitments are!)

Fimm McCool

Agreed. I also want in on this as I have a lot of WG Factory Orcs (Hobgoblins) in need of some paint. But I might also be over reaching myself in the painting stakes...

Golgfag1

I could provide you with some horse nomad types & wolf riders, any use? :grin:

Paul / Golgfag1

lenihan

Golgfag1":1ld07l2g said:

Paul / Golgfag1

Sounds like exactly the right sort of thing!

Golgfag1

lenihan":gtywnpmh said:
Golgfag1":gtywnpmh said:

Paul / Golgfag1

Sounds like exactly the right sort of thing!

I'll have a count up and see what's available and let you know - you can then tell me what your want. 8-)

Will you be at Salute, for a chat?

Paul / Golgfag1

I can hobgobs and some cathayans but obviously depends on whether I said yes to too much!

lenihan

Golgfag1":3vdn5a8o said:
Will you be at Salute, for a chat?
Yep, should be!

whiskey priest":3vdn5a8o said:
I can hobgobs and some cathayans but obviously depends on whether I said yes to too much!
Hope you'll be able to join in, although obviously I understand the dangers of overcommitting! As fo whether hobgobs or cathayans, hard to say at this point whether we'd need more on the raiders or the defenders side...

Masterwork

I have three Reaper Miniatures ogre mages. Not sure if they would fit in with the rest of what you have planned or what stats they would have in warhammer... but the miniatures are cool and the concept of flying sorcerous oriental ogres has always appealed to me!

lenihan

Masterwork":1ux97a2k said:
I have three Reaper Miniatures ogre mages. Not sure if they would fit in with the rest of what you have planned or what stats they would have in warhammer... but the miniatures are cool and the concept of flying sorcerous oriental ogres has always appealed to me!

They'd fit right in! Plus they're quite ambiguous, unclear at the start which 'side' they'd be on. Do bring them.

VanLoon

Unfortunately it looks like I won't have the barbarian warband finished that I'd hoped to bring for this...

However, I will have a small half-orc warband lead by a scheming hobgoblin (with possibly a kobold or a bugbear lackey as well) if you think that would fit in? I also have a friend who is interested in bringing a few ogres to lend some muscle to either side if that's okay too?

Out of interest, what size forces did you invision people bringing, roughly? Is this a smaller warband/skirmish thing, or a bigger kind of game?

lenihan

Bad news (for me, anyway)... turns out I won't be able to go to this after all - ironically, having scheduled a "Journey to the East" game set in the steppes, I will instead be heading out on a journey to the steppes of Mongolia myself and flying out on the 31st... Hope you all have fun, I am gutted to miss it.

Obviously if somebody else wants to pick up the game, go for it. I'm sorry to people who've started work only to find out I won't be able to run this after all - I just found out my travel dates today, until now I had been pretty sure I was going to get up to Newark.

Golgfag1

Sorry to hear, as I'd just come down from the attic with a dozen horse-nomads which would have required re-basing ready for your skirmish, such is life. :cry:

Shame, as I'm sure this would have been a nice scenario to have seen played; any 'willing' volunteers ready to step up to the mark? to keep this running.

In hope

Paul / Golgfag1

Thantsants

Well I've got a 24 strong unit of Throgg's Despoiling Hobgoblins nearly painted and a load of other stuff primed so I'm happy to coordinate.

Sorry to hear you can't make it Lenihan but I bet Mongolia will be very interesting to see - just watch out for the Outer Mongolian Deathworms, which incidentally inspired me to include some Inner Cathayan Necro-grubs!

Did you have much in the way of a scenario in mind already? If not (and if folk are up for it) let me know what you're planning to bring and I'll see about cooking something up to balance out whatever forces will be present.

In fact it'd be useful to know who is joining in anyway as I'm not sure who has signed up to this game so far.

Golgfag1

Well done Thantsants,

Give me a volunteer, rather than a pressed man any day of the week. I wasn't actually planning on playing - rather providing suitable figures, so Lenihan could develop his ideas and have alternatives, if, things looked to be one sided, depending upon what people turned up with. Unless, of course a suitable opportunity arises in my planned diary for the weekend! :grin:

I'll PM you with a list of stuff, I think you might like.

Paul / Golgfag1

Thantsants

Cheers Paul - I reckon the pressed men are best left in the Warhammer Ahoy game ;)

I'm sure it'll all come in handy, especially the horsemen - you are of course most welcome to join the game any time.

I'll get a list of what I'm bringing up at some point as well.

Padre

Wish I could be there with my Cathayans but I am big time double booked and there's no wriggling free. Have a good time (again) without me, you lucky so and so's.

Thantsants

That's a shame Padre - I was wondering whether you were able to make it this year.

We'll have to catch up some other time.

Thantsants

Bump - so is anyone else down for playing this game on the Saturday?

Back