Speed painting challenge

Mister Rab

I'm not going to take the clock badge this time as it took me an hour and twenty-ish (I added the base afterwards), but I enjoyed the challenge and will have another go during the week I reckon to see if I can manage it. This is a Crooked Claw goblin who will be seeing immediate use in dungeon crawls with my two boys. Not my best by any means, but solid enough as rank and file or encounter fodder... and without doubt the only way I'll make a significant dent in the lead pile which seems to have reached critical mass and be replicating itself at an alarming rate :roll:

one%2Bhour%2Bfront.jpg

one%2Bhour%2Bback.jpg

Mister Rab

I saw that thread a while back and had nearly managed to suppress my combination of envy and inadequacy - thanks for bringing that all flooding back, Mattias :?

(I'll let you off for being nice about my goblin)

EDIT - I had another go and managed the hour, so will claim that badge after all. A green greenskin this time ;)

one%2Bhour%2Bfront%2B2.jpg

Aiteal

1 hour paint challenge, well, 64 minutes if truth be told and I didn't get time to highlight his peg leg. It helped that I actually set my paints out ready beforehand rather than searching through my paint boxes like I usually do.
Base coated the armour, quick wash, then did skin base, skin wash, then back to armour with fine brush just popping in paints on individual scales. Then back to skin highlights and finally horns and metal bits and his wee sash.

020KSWt.jpg

mWqM41l.jpg

quindia

I normally paint pretty quickly, but I sat down and timed this one - Finished in 50 minutes (not counting the black undercoat and the basing)...

Death%2BRider%2B01.jpg

I've got more of these models on the blog upcoming this week (one every day) and will talk a little about how I painted them... the real time saver was drybrushing the entire model with the spectral greens then going back and picking out the remaining colors.

Chico

My entry for the 1 Hour Speed Painting Challenge. It's a press moulded Scavy torso with legs from a Future Wars not-Humungous and head from a Chaos Cultist

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0011_1.jpg

phreedh

I did an attempt, knowing full well that I wouldn't make it in time. I was a bit surprised to see it clock 2 hours though...

I started out with a fresh Spacelords mini (available from Doug at EM4 if anybody missed that).
1hr_1.jpg

As you can see, I should've primed the mini a dark grey to save some effort (and nearly 10 minutes of painting... 10 minutes!).
1hr_2.jpg

I'm happy with the final result, but well... the time could be better. It did make me finish a model in two evenings though!
1hr_3.jpg

Better pics with her and her mates at a later point, in another thread.

Bane

After completing my first elf in under an hour I challneged myself to go even quicker with his padre (I only own two of these Jes Goodwin wardancers and did not want to leave one of them languishing unpainted). Here's the final result, a slightly more complicated model but a similar timeframe. My lead pile should diminish much quicker now, right?
:oops:

Pre-basing:

And together (again):

Based:

A step-by-step guide is viewable on my blog, if you're interested in how I did this.

phreedh

Bane, they look fantastic! Really nice job - I like the pale blue skin. I usually don't. =)

Blue, Aiteal - thanks! Yeah, the amount of greeblies on her really added to the time. I tried to just pick something I wanted to paint, not something I thought I'd be able to slam dunk in under an hour. =D

Niibl

So close... :cry:
I made it in 59 minutes (and some seconds) and then spoiled it all by drenching it in Devlan Mud.
I like that ink very much but normally I dilute it, something I forgot in the hurry.
So I wasted an additional 10 minutes with cursing, had to wait some more minutes until my wife left the kitchen with her fresh tea and then repainted some highlights on the face, the teeth and the bonnet (about 10 more minutes).

Well, At least I have something done for the 2015 legacy crew.
Goblin_Pirate01.jpg

Goblin_Pirate02.jpg

Goblin_Pirate03.jpg

Goblin_Pirate04.jpg

Goblin_Pirate05.jpg

2015-04-21%20002_zpsbjqwufu4.jpg

I failed miserably but on the bright side it is the first mini I've attempted to paint in months. If I tryed it with my old style and didn't use thinned down paint and multi coats would have succeeded. At least for 1 hour I did some painting which pleased me! Gc

Aiteal

Very nice Fimm, I'm getting flashbacks to my childhood and my Granda warning us all not to walk out on the old coach road in Derry at dusk for fear of running into this fellah :)

Mostyn

As always, I'm late to the party but thought I'd have stab at this.
Now it seems to me there are two ways to approach the challenge. One, real men chose an interesting and complex figure and push themselves to try new techniques against the clock.
Or you find the simplest figure in the lead pile and paint the way you always do, only maybe a little bit faster. Maybe.

So having bravely chosen this extremely complex Copplestone Barbarian I noticed Harry has been painting these - doubtless in half the time - to a very high quality. Probably only to rub salt into the gaping wound of my painting inadequacy!

But or what it's worth this guy came in at 57:10. The ill-advised shield design was a consequence of waiting for an even more ill-advised watered down red wash on the skin to dry.

Asslessman

That barbarian doesn't look speed painted one bit to me !

You call those choices of red wash and shield designs ill -advised but in the end you made it and on top of that those details paid off !

This RT ork is my first speed painting attempt - clocked in at 59mins but then realised I'd forgotten his lower lip and toenails so I blew that ;) added them in after, took an extra 5 mins. Also in the fine tradition of this comp i didnt do his base :lol:

It wasn't my intention to paint this guy tonight but i spotted his puffy MC Hammerpants sticking out of the lead pile and it all seemed to make sense...

Back