I've never painted a .... before - The Rogue Trader 100 club

quindia

Re: I've never painted a .... before - The Rogue Trader 100

12. Navigator

Navigator%2B96dpi.jpg

Part of a Rogue Trader retinue...

Edit: I have never painted any of the 40k Psykers unless you count a couple of Space Marine Librarians, which are basically Space Marines. This model has always been one of my favorite, but I never had a need for him on the table (and I rarely seem to paint stuff I don't intend to use to throw dice at people).

Orjetax

No. 013 (or 14?)

A squat pirate. My favorite one of the bunch, even though the torso is very "smooth."
I would loved to see a Bob Olley take on this design.

Also, I fear we may have already fumbled the numbering after the venators were posted. So if venators count as 11, this ought to be 14. Not that it really matters.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 4,002

phreedh

Orjetax":2hhz0elb said:
Also, I fear we may have already fumbled the numbering after the venators were posted. So if venators count as 11, this ought to be 14. Not that it really matters.
Yeah, it's a pity this thread have turned into yet a duplicate of blog posts and facebook updates. :(

The "rules" are simple enough:
- One model per entry
- One entry per day
- Not shown previously (WIP or completed)
- Something you haven't painted before

If someone paints a Blood Bowl orc and posts it, saying "I've never painted a Blood Bowl orc before starting this team now" that's fine. It's a bit of a stretch to post EACH other team member as entries too with the justification "Well, I haven't painted this particular sculpt before". I'm not wanting to stop people from participating or posting their painted lead - but if it doesn't fit naturally why try to shoehorn it into this painting club when the same photos are posted elsewhere on the forums, on other forums, on the blogs and on Facebook? We'll all see it anyways.

I have never painted a Space Marine before, this thread is for stuff like that. Or that ambull I might not get around to, but I can do for this particular thread. Or one of my imperial robots, maybe? This is a thread for those single miniatures, not a general showcase for when I complete my lizard squad. I won't post my lizard with a heavy weapon, for instance - cause I've painted plenty of lizards so far and this guy is just armed in a different way. Not really grounds for participation in the club.

I enjoy the entries the most where the participant have given more info than just a model name too. Why is it entered in the painting club? Why haven't you painted one before and what made you do it now? What is it you never painted before? In Colin's case I have no idea if it's yellow nozzled weapons, dwarves, dwarves in space, minis with bare arms, minis with unfinished bases or minis with mohawks. The models are great, but the entry leaves me wanting for more! Same goes for Quindia. Great navigator... but what exactly is it you never painted before? That particular navigator model or Rogue Trader adventurers in general?

I'm not saying you MUST do this or MUST do that, I'm just suggesting ways to make the whole painting club thing more enjoyable and relevant. Now carry on... :grin:

Asslessman

I get your point and have to say I understood thins a little differently and more like a put anything here as long as you put it here first and I thought this was a "loose" place for people to drop pictures so that the vast amount gets people to paint. I guess some others understood it that way too.

That said I do agree that the multiposting sort of alters the value of this thread so I'll stick with exclusive models in the future and the added background would also be a bonus. I'll make sure my future entries will be more on the quality side than on the quantity side, I like your view on this.

phreedh

Asslessman":1t7mnans said:
I'll make sure my future entries will be more on the quality side than on the quantity side, I like your view on this.
You're a problematic one as regardless of quantity it's always high quality. :)

My approach to the clubs of LAF (and the fantasy one here) have been to post a separate photo for the club thread, then do another regular photo for the blog and forum posts. It gives a sense of exclusivity to the club, which I enjoy. It's a bit dorky, I know. :ugeek:

Asslessman

phreedh":2p7xec3e said:
You're a problematic one as regardless of quantity it's always high quality. :)
I meant quality of post here but I'll take the compliment ;)

phreedh":2p7xec3e said:
My approach to the clubs of LAF (and the fantasy one here) have been to post a separate photo for the club thread, then do another regular photo for the blog and forum posts. It gives a sense of exclusivity to the club, which I enjoy. It's a bit dorky, I know. :ugeek:
Seems fair to me too, I'm all for pulling this to (even) higher standards

Mister Rab

I agree that it would be desirable for there to be some accompanying text with each photo, either backstory for the figure or justification for choosing it/why it has escaped your brush until now. In my case, I've never painted any science fiction miniatures before, but have been drawn in by the pretty pictures and exciting game reports from the rest of you talented buggers :roll:

An exclusive photo for this thread (something I've admittedly not done, but will for any future entries), is a nice touch, Mattias - let's all aim for that from now on.

For the record, the next available number is 016

Carry on!

Orjetax

Mister Rab":76fgnp3q said:
I agree that it would be desirable for there to be some accompanying text with each photo, either backstory for the figure or justification for choosing it/why it has escaped your brush until now. In my case, I've never painted any science fiction miniatures before, but have been drawn in by the pretty pictures and exciting game reports from the rest of you talented buggers :roll:

An exclusive photo for this thread (something I've admittedly not done, but will for any future entries), is a nice touch, Mattias - let's all aim for that from now on.

For the record, the next available number is 016

Carry on!

Well, I'll belatedly add more detail about my choice of a squat pirate (at number 14).
I'd collected squats but only painted one before. And I had started working on some squat adventurers (all of this is now finished and appears in my squat mercenaries thread in the showcase section).

I'd collected all the squat pirates, which have always seemed like such characterful and uncommon models. I haven't seen all that many on the Internet in fact. I decided that this one with the pickelhaube and monocle "felt like" a leader. And I'd realized that dang, I've never painted one if these squat pirates before. And wouldn't you know it, we have a challenge on the forum that seems apropos ...

So I hustled him to the top of my queue. And the rest is history. I then picked a couple of the other more 'standard' squat pirates to round out my squad of adventurers. They really seem to work well together.

Incidentally, anyone have a spare squat pirate with pirate hat? It's the only squat pirate I need.

No 16

Ive never before painted any imperial army figure, never played RT or 40k but always liked the imperial troops. Picked this up on a trade on this forum.

Imperial army - Sniper Lang

Mister Rab

Orjetax - it seems that squats are like bacteria; you start with one, then one more, then you have dozens. :lol: I do like his monocle and beard in particular.

Firebreather - What big feet, hands and ears that sniper has has! Nice work on the fatigues, though, and the unit badge really pops against the plain background.

quindia

Ok... amended my post with a little more. I have to be creative looking for stuff I've never painted. I have been painting 40k stuff pretty much from the beginning. People who come here with 'I have never painted a Space Marine' have it easy... :lol: The only 40k RACE I haven't painted are space Slann (but I also don't have any) so I have to get kinda technical if I'm going to participate in either of these threads.

I also didn't post the model on my blog for a few weeks after revealing it here - I also read the rules as painting something new, posting it here FIRST, and not simply recycling another pic. The thread DID provide the impetus for me to paint the model and got him added to the crew, which was not my original intention (the game I'm planning is quite small so I need to be careful with letting psykers loose).

Blue in VT

Here is my addition...painted as part of the 1-Hour Challenge.

No. 17 RT Astropath

Cheers,

Blue

Attachments

• Astropath Combo.jpg
    Astropath Combo.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 2,640

phreedh

No 18 - T1M the bounty hunting robot
This is one of several firsts. I have never painted a robot before (unless you count the rudimentary job I did on the RoboRally pawns)! Also, it's the first time I paint a model from the old Hobby Products Perry Rhodan range.

P1120246.jpg

Mister Rab

That's rather special, phreedh! I love it! Orange and white is one of my favourite sci-fi colour schemes as well :)

I have never ever painted a Psyker with a bionic toucan on his shoulder before (no excuses really, just never got around to it before).

Asslessman

@Phreedh : Gret robot, I somehow missed that one... Looks really great and I'll agree with Stephen about the colour scheme.

@Captain Crooks : As I said, this psyker looks so snobby I want to slap him in the face ! The bionic toucan is probably the best I've ever seen in my entire life, honest. really great painting with gold NMM and fancy gradient on the sword, colours are bright but don't clash, lovely work here.

Mister Rab

CC - you've given him a lightsabre! Excellent :) Although I can't believe you've never painted a bionic toucan before, I mean, really? :o

Mister Rab":tnr5oqbo said:
CC - you've given him a lightsabre! Excellent :) Although I can't believe you've never painted a bionic toucan before, I mean, really? :o

It's not a light-saber, it's psycho-reactive metal that heats to a white-hot tip, connected to his channeling hood by a coily telephone cable. I would have thought that was obvious ;)

As for the bionic toucan, it just got to the point where so many people were doing it that it became a bit cliche, like owning a Squat army or painting dark elf skin green.

cheetor

#20 Captive Imperial Fist

I have never painted...

A) an Imperial FIst
B) a captive Space Marine
C) a conversion put together by someone else

clutchesofchaos3.jpg

Back