Goblinoids- finished in time for Orctober!

Fimm McCool

Thanks to the guys here who have helped me complete this set (especially Just John and Mutantdale). I used to love Combat Cards when I was a kid and a few years ago I decided to collect the minis from my favourite set, Goblinoids!

Three years later and I have all the lead and shields I need. Now I need to duplicate Kev Adam's awesome conversions (hoping I have found the right base models!) and try to replicate the superb painting... this is going to be a labour of love and involve buying some nice new paintbrushes. Fortunately the Golden Gobbo provided me with an opportunity to test out detailed greenskin painting!

http://gamesorkshop.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/complete-deck-of-combat-cards.html

Suggestions for how these should be based/displayed welcome. Either as an 80s style diorama or in individual windows set up as on the cards are my two current ideas.

Harry

Re: The collection is complete!

Well played sir!
That deserves a small ripple at least.
Love little projects like that.
Now get on and paint them. :grin:

exilesjjb

fantastic dedication to complete a great project, look forward to seeing some paint hitting these.

Chico

Nice work, always found it odd that some of the pictures on the cardsare flipped around so there facing aren't the same as the figures..

Cheers
Chico

Ps: i used to laugh when that Snot Champion was played heh

Mutantdale

Now that is a nice set to see. Congrats on getting them together we all look forward to seeing some paint on them.

MD :ugeek:

Fimm McCool

Yeah, I think they're flipped to avoid bits of the weapons off running off the edge of the card. Oddly (or not) the 'big snots' were the hardest to find and most expensive... appropriate for the weediest cards in the deck!

Thantsants

What a great project!

They're my favourite set of cards too - I must have around 20 odd of the minis but never crossed my mind to put them together.

Looking forward to seeing your conversions!

Mutantdale

Go with an 80s basing style and you can then do an Oldhammer scenario to go with the warband ;)

MD

Blue in VT

I agree what a wonderful idea and great motivation for collecting.

If you decide to do this with the dwarfs you will face at least one real challenge....the unreleased or even cast wizard....the holy grail of dwarf collectors.

Cheers,

Blue

Fimm McCool

I didn't have the dwarf set as a kid. I could go with the Space War or the Chaos ones, but neithe rmotivate me quite as much as the Goblinoids and I think this lot will keep me busy for a while! It'd be fun to put a force together from each deck though, using the Combat Card statlines and get a campaign together with the different armies... who's claiming Chaos, Monsters, Dwarfs and Warriors then?

The scenario is a great idea. Thoughts are forming based on how I used to divide this deck with Grubod's Royal Orcs, Nbarat's Tribe, Ulg's Gobbos and the mercenary Pirate Orcs... which gives me ideas for basing and displaying them too.

The snotlings, of course, will be taking champion roles in my snotling army so however they're based they need to be transferable.

Chico

I saw your Snot army on your blog, made me laugh when i saw the large range your using. If you happen to come across any spare RT Runts/grots on your snot hunting let me know :)

-
Chico

Fimm McCool

Sure will. About time I dragged the bogies out again I think. beyond collecting a ton of metal last year I've done precious little to the shroom lovers.

fuljason

I have the chaos and RT set and you have inspired me to look into doing the same, nice angle dude

Fimm McCool

Good luck! The chaos one could be expensive.... I hope we will get to have an old school combat cardhammer battle sometime!

Fimm McCool

Re: Goblinoids- The collection is complete AND PAINTING BEGI

Several years have passed, but at long last painting on this set has begun! Here's the first WIP, Nobrun Darkfist:

Discovered some more strangeness when I actually started painting. I had to add the lumpy ring of metal on his left arm as the model doesn't have it. A minor conversion perhaps, but have a look at this page from the Citadel catalogue: http://www.solegends.com/citcat1991b/cat1991bp168orcbigunz-00.htm The Club Big 'Un clearly HAS a second band on his arm.

Weirder still the miniature appears to have a lot more detail than the one on the card. There's a fine rim to the spiked upper band (which I didn't remove) and the leather strips hanging from the front of his belt have metal ends which don't appear on the model on the card. Was the model on the card chopped about to remove these details? That would seem an odd choice. Perhaps there was an earlier casting without these details, but they are there (as far as I can tell) on the catalogue image.

Anyone know of variants on this model as the differences seem pretty strange. Why would his arm band disappear?

Attachments

• IMG_1833.JPG
    IMG_1833.JPG
    181 KB · Views: 1,701
  • nob.jpg
    nob.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 1,701

Tex

Re: Goblinoids- The collection is complete AND PAINTING BEGI

First of all, let me congratulate for a great start of an amazing project!
About your question, examining 3rd ed. greenskins - which I'm an avid collector of - you can realise that most sculpts are jigsaws of recycled heads, bodies, limbs and weapons.
The left arm of your orc, in particular, is the same as on the "sword and spear" orc pictured on the catalogue's page you posted, just embellished with one (or two) bands to comply with its more "armoured" look.
It is possible that the combat card and catalogue mini was a prototype or even a customization by kevin adams himself (IIRC on the combat cards there is also his ubiquitous converted orc boar rider)

Back