The Army of Melnibone: The Rebirth

Mason

Some of you may be aware that I have slowly been putting together a force of old Citadel Melniboneans with the aim of using them to build an army based on the 3rd edition High Elf list in Warhammer Armies.
I originally wanted to do a Slann force but that will have to wait as my plans for that took a slight detour but they will be done in the future.

The Melniboneans seem perfect for my current needs as there is a fair bit of armour so that should speed up the painting process.

I shall use this thread to keep track of progress.

Here is what I have so far, organised into units....

M004_zps0763e082.jpg

There are a few Elves in there to fill out some of the slots but Melniboneans are, by far, the majority.
There are still a few gaps to fill but I am nearly there.

Many thanks to those of you that helped me put this lot together.

Protist

Re: The Army of Melnibone

That's a valuable pile of lead right there - the prices some of those Melniboneans go for is - well - shocking!

It'll be good to see an Oldhammer elf army that isn't dark or wood elves, I've yet to see a complete one (maybe due to incorrect application of google-fu). Any thoughts on colour schemes yet? Particularly are you going for a unified military or a diverse collection of militias/guards/retinues etc?

Zhu Bajie

looking good! Nice regimented feel with the similar poses which suits the highly trained Melnibonean types.

mbh

this will be great.

One of my dream projects has always been using these and the dragon master models to make a high elf army.

Mason

Protist":1us450ov said:
That's a valuable pile of lead right there - the prices some of those Melniboneans go for is - well - shocking!

It'll be good to see an Oldhammer elf army that isn't dark or wood elves, I've yet to see a complete one (maybe due to incorrect application of google-fu). Any thoughts on colour schemes yet? Particularly are you going for a unified military or a diverse collection of militias/guards/retinues etc?

They were not terribly expensive, to be honest.
Lots of trading and decent prices from quite a few people on here and LAF, along with a few ebay purchases and I have gotten to this point.
I probably will add a few more over time, but have plenty to be getting on with now.

Colour schemes....

The only thing that I have settled on is bronze armour.
That should help unify the army and allow me a little leeway with other colours on the various units while still keeping a form of unity.
I do not see myself painting these many figures all the same colour.
I think I would loose the plot along the way... ;)

Zhu Bajie":1us450ov said:
looking good! Nice regimented feel with the similar poses which suits the highly trained Melnibonean types.

That is what I was hoping for with the 'regular' units.
The Wardancers and scout should provide a bit of a break so they will be painted in between the infantry blocks.

Quendil":1us450ov said:
Wow looking forward to seeing those painted

So do I!
:grin:

mbh":1us450ov said:
this will be great.

One of my dream projects has always been using these and the dragon master models to make a high elf army.

Me too, although I am not so keen on the Dragon Masters.
I have one almost complete but will most likely use something else, a conversion and a lot of green stuff work is on the cards for that.
:)

Mason

Here is a quick couple of shots of the conversion that I have knocked together to use as Elite Guards for the Army....

Eldar Crew WIP 1 042_zpsucjwgshu.jpg

3b08c3b7-db29-4c82-ae79-9294ca9a6352_zps0gyhjt0o.jpg

I used a damaged Elric figure as a base, so he should fit in nicely, height-wise.
I have gone for a chunkier, more imposing look for this unit.
This is going off tomorrow to be cast up so that I can have a unit of them.

Mason

Re: The Army of Melnibone: The Guard

I now have the Guard back from the caster.

I just have to add a character figure and convert a couple into a musician and standard bearer and they are ready for painting.

Guards and weapon sprues 003_zpsrvp5a1mc.jpg

I also have a few more than this so I have too many, if anyone is interested in any, send me a PM.
I cannot sell them but would be willing to trade my excess figures.

Mason

I now have enough troops for 3000pts of rank and file and a bucket of 20mm washers for bases, so work shall begin on these soon.

Golgfag1

Well done, look forward to seeing this come together for you. What colour scheme are you going to use?:grin:

Paul / Golgfag1

I remember The Citadel Journal with the stats. Great little line of minis. Any plans for the dragons?

Mason

Golgfag1":36z7seaz said:
Well done, look forward to seeing this come together for you. What colour scheme are you going to use?:grin:

Paul / Golgfag1

Thank you.

I plan on doing all of the armour bronze to unify the army, with individual regiments each getting their own scheme to avoid the tedium of painting everything the same colour.
I once painted a large Imperial Guard army with regimented colours and vowed never to do that again!

Schrumpfkopf":36z7seaz said:
I remember The Citadel Journal with the stats. Great little line of minis. Any plans for the dragons?

Curious: I dont remember that.
Does anyone have the journal in question?
Which one was it?
I will be using the High Elf list but seeing what was intended could be interesting.

Dragons: Oh, yes!
I am saving that bit for later.
I want to get as many infantry units done as I can first before breaking up the monotony with the more characterful and fun units interspersed between them.
I want to finish this little lot first before doing the dragons.

The list as it is:

The units I already have to work with:
Elite Guard Regiment (20 figures including command)
Warrior regiment with swords (20 figures inc cmd)
Warrior regiment with maces (20 figures inc cmd)
Warrior regiment with axes (12 figures inc cmd)
Merchant company with 50/50 split of spears and longbows (20 figs inc cmd)
Merchant company with 50/50 split of spears and longbows (20 figs inc cmd)
Archers (15 figures)
Archers (15 figures)
Wardancer unit (8 figures)
Scout unit (10 figures)

12 armoured cavalry inc cmd

2 or 3 chariots dependant on design

To be added later:
2 Bolt throwers (when I decide on which to use, or make myself)
1 (or maybe more!) dragons.

That lot should keep me busy for quite a while.

jprp

I like what you have done here, but why "high" and not "Dark" Melnibonians are bad guys, very bad.

inchmurrin

Great idea looking forward to more . I think Dark would be closer to the Melnibonean culture in the Warhammer world, but they are really indifferent to "lesser" races not "bad guys" per se.

Mason

jprp":3jw1nkh3 said:
I like what you have done here, but why "high" and not "Dark" Melnibonians are bad guys, very bad.

inchmurrin":3jw1nkh3 said:
Great idea looking forward to more . I think Dark would be closer to the Melnibonean culture in the Warhammer world, but they are really indifferent to "lesser" races not "bad guys" per se.

I was opting for the High Elf list as this best reflected the figures available.
Also the Dark Elf list has a whole host of stuff that didnt realy fit the theme, with all the Cold Ones etc.

I say was as I have now sold the figures as I realised that I probably would not get around to doing them any time soon.
When/if I come back to it in the future I am going to do something a little different regarding the figures.....but that can wait until I find the time and the mojo to paint a army of this size......

Mason

Well, this project is on the verge of being 'reborn', although it is in an embryonic stage at the moment, it will be happening this time.

A better explanation and maybe a picture of two over the weekend.

Mason

Well, as I mentioned, I sold off the army itself a couple of years ago as I had another plan and decided to do that instead.
It has taken a while but now it is back on the menu.

The plan is this: I am going to make my own conversions for the Army of Melnibone using the old 80's sculpts as a starting point.
I realise that converting so many figures is not really going to happen as I do not have the time, so what is going to happen is I am going to make one conversion and cast them up to regiment strength (or however many are required).
This way I get a completely original army of my own devising using the WFB 3rd edition Armies book to create the various units..

When I sold the old Melniboneans off I kept one of each figure and all of the the damaged ones with exactly this purpose in mind.

I have already converted a Melnibonean spearman to be used as a 'base' model for the bulk of the army (as spears and bows will be the main feature for a unified look) and sent him off for casting, with the plan being to further convert each master casting slightly in order to make each regiment slightly different in style and then get that cast in the required numbers.

I will, of course, have to do further conversions to the base model of each regiment in order to create standard bearers, musicians and heroes for each unit where required, but that is not a problem as I will only need one of each.

I have also converted one of the archers, who will act as a base for all of the Archer units in the army (I am planning three or four 10 strong units of these), each separate unit will be differentiated by the colour scheme.

Here is the base Archer model, which will be sent off for casting soon....

4805-200719154403.jpeg

4805-200719154529.jpeg

This model has had a greenstuff 'kilt' added, with a trim to allow for easy colour differences, a modified helmet with 'wings' and a mouth grille added, and a simple decorated belt, the designs on which will be utilised across the army to help with unifying the overall look.

That is the plan and, as I will only be creating one unit at a time as casting space allows, it should not be too overwhelming a task to keep up with.

Sleepysod

Sorry to hear that you sold your original army. I was looking forward to seeing it in all its majesty, but if your plan works (and that archer is fantastic!) then this should be very special indeed. Amazes me that they are so expensive on eBay, they were still sold as part of the high elf range throughout at least the first half of the 90’s

Mason

Sleepysod":6qfildkz said:
Sorry to hear that you sold your original army. I was looking forward to seeing it in all its majesty, but if your plan works (and that archer is fantastic!) then this should be very special indeed. Amazes me that they are so expensive on eBay, they were still sold as part of the high elf range throughout at least the first half of the 90’s

Although I was looking forward to painting it up I do not regret selling it.
I know it has gone to a good home (pretty sure the new owner is on here too) where it will get the attention it deserves.
This new approach also lets me do what I fancy doing too, for an individual look that I am hoping for.

I have the 'Guard' base model almost finished now, I just need to attach an arm when I find the spear that I want to use.

Mason

I have now got the castings of the 'base' model for the 'spearmen', which will be individually modified some more so that I can create a few different 'looks', so each regiment can have their own distinct uniform.

4805-250719142839.jpeg

(I know that you cannot really see what is going on but I cannot really ink them if I want to convert them some more them, so have included the original, slightly damaged, version to help clear that up a little).

You have probably guessed this going to be a 'slow burn' project as each stage needs to be completed before I can move onto the next and eventually actually paint any of them.

To satisfy the need to actually get started I shall be painting up some unconverted Scouts to keep me going.
Pictures of them when they are done, hopefully soon.

:)

Back